The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

On 13/02/2020 at 17:43, Bob Mahelp said:

Interesting times.  Looks like the Buffoon is clearing the decks for a pie in the sky, magic money tree, super populist budget......the sort of thing which would make Trump blush.

Johnson has massive majority, and he's not a man to let that go to waste. He wants to make statement, and HS2 and this nutcase bridge idea are only the tip of the iceberg

iceberg and bridge doesn't sound like a good combination.

On 15/02/2020 at 10:08, welshbairn said:

The 2040 completion date is about spreading the cost, nothing to do with health and safety, union rights or compensation. China has stacks of plant available, including automatic line laying equipment, after building a 15,500 mile high speed network at home, and enough cash to wait for payment on HP. It's called comparative advantage which would be daft not to exploit. 

The last time I experienced Chinese involvement in infrastructure was......

I live in Axbridge. There is a large reservoir on the edge of town.  Several years ago the the water company laid new underground pipes from one side of Axbridge

up to the reservoir. A total of about half a mile, I'd guess.    Clearly stated in all the blurb was that this was a six month project.

In the end , the job took 2 years.

The story from the water company, and the contractors involved, through that time..... was that 'unforeseen problems' had occurred etc etc.

The town council even mouthed the same story. 

The truth  came from the blokes on the ground. 

The water company  had cut costs by buying cheap pipes from China.  As the guys getting dirty recounted

in the local pubs.....  " The f*cking things won't fit together right.... ". 

So they leaked.   The guys on the ground got blamed when the leaks showed up above ground.  Fields flooded.

No one ever did admit anything, but the whole lot had to be dug up, and relaid.   Presumably with better pipes.

2 years.

Edited by beefybake

7 minutes ago, beefybake said:

The last time I experienced Chinese involvement in infrastructure was......

I live in Axbridge. There is a large reservoir on the edge of town.  Several years ago the the water company laid new underground pipes from one side of Axbridge

up to the reservoir. A total of about half a mile, I'd guess.    Clearly stated in all the blurb was that this was a six month project.

In the end , the job took 2 years.

The story from the water company, and the contractors involved, through that time..... was that 'unforeseen problems' had occurred etc etc.

The town council even mouthed the same story. 

The truth  came from the blokes on the ground. 

The water company, had cut costs by buying cheap pipes from China.  As the guys getting dirty recounted

in the local pubs.....  " The f*cking things won't fit together right.... ". 

So they leaked.   The guys on the ground got blamed when the leaks showed up above ground.  Fields flooded.

No one ever did admit anything, but the whole lot had to be dug up, and relaid.   Presumably with better pipes.

2 years.

So the water company bought the wrong pipes because they were cheaper. Didn't think to test them first. Let's blame China.

Just watching, on BBC News, the utter devastation for the many suffering from having their homes destroyed by storm Dennis.

Is no one else surprised that our mighty leader has not come forward to announce how all those affected will be compensated?

I mean, even if it was just the usual empty headed rhetoric, delivered with all his trademark bluff and bluster, it would be something, but no, nothing....Not a fucking cheep.

58 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

So the water company bought the wrong pipes because they were cheaper. Didn't think to test them first. Let's blame China.

The pipes were crap. The fairly obvious lesson there is that there is always a good reason why quotations are cheap. Whether it's for half a mile of pipery,

or a multi billion project like HS2.

2 minutes ago, beefybake said:

The pipes were crap. The fairly obvious lesson there is that there is always a good reason why quotations are cheap. Whether it's for half a mile of pipery,

or a multi billion project like HS2.

Sounds like the days when Japan was famous for crap toys until people started noticing their motorbikes were far more reliable than the British ones. Nearly all of our hi tech phones, white goods and the like are now built in China. Haven't heard anything about their high speed rail network always breaking down, plenty tourists been on it.

36 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Just watching, on BBC News, the utter devastation for the many suffering from having their homes destroyed by storm Dennis.

Is no one else surprised that our mighty leader has not come forward to announce how all those affected will be compensated?

I mean, even if it was just the usual empty headed rhetoric, delivered with all his trademark bluff and bluster, it would be something, but no, nothing....Not a fucking cheep.

Does the government now compensate everybody who suffers a loss as a result of weather? How bad does the weather and the damage need to be to qualify? Or is just if the risk is uninsurable? 

As for PMs FMs etc turning up at disaster scenes - I never did understand it. Why do they do it? The kerfuffle that accompanies them just gets in the way of the actual  emergency work and they can never sensibly answer the questions people want answered. It's inevitable they end up getting told by distressed locals to GTF. The Oz PM was a classic.

52 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Does the government now compensate everybody who suffers a loss as a result of weather? How bad does the weather and the damage need to be to qualify? Or is just if the risk is uninsurable? 

As for PMs FMs etc turning up at disaster scenes - I never did understand it. Why do they do it? The kerfuffle that accompanies them just gets in the way of the actual  emergency work and they can never sensibly answer the questions people want answered. It's inevitable they end up getting told by distressed locals to GTF. The Oz PM was a classic.

Wouldn't you have thought that after all the waffling last time he visited a flood hit area, with all kinds of offers of help and support, there might have been some mention from him of this latest disaster, which appears to be even worse than the last one?

Seems like he's happier to make noises about spending billions and billions on HS2/3 and even going on about building a fucking bridge across the Irish Sea.

39 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Eugenics? That seemed to be his opening hand. 

What's not to like about that if you're a racist scumbag piece of shit.

Just watched Brandon (irritating dick but also polymath) on University Challenge demonstrating the idiotic fallacy of linkage between race and intellect. How are advisers like these people recruited? Maybe also worth mentioning that Eugenics was a thing among thinkers on the left in the late 19th early 20th centuries.

HP Support Assistant.lnk

4 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

In all fairness this is a solidarity thing - letting those in the disaster zone know that the rest of the country is aware of their plight and ready to help where possible.  The Prime minister/President/other recognised person is just a figurehead.

Edited by Fullerene

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

In all fairness this is a solidarity thing - letting those in the disaster zone know that the rest of the country is aware of their plight and ready to help where possible.  The Prime minister/President/other recognised person is just a figurehead.

Solidarity, as in 'photo opportunity'?

9 hours ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Solidarity, as in 'photo opportunity'?

Yes it is a photo opportunity and in the USA even the most unpopular president will get a cheer but generally it has no long term benefit.

In the UK, most people would say that Jeremy Corbyn showed more empathy  for the people of Grenfell then Theresa May did but it did not help him that much.

23 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Archbishop of Canterbury thought he was getting a bit above himself.

https://theyoungtractarians.wordpress.com/about-us/

theyoungtractarians.wordpress.com is no longer available.

The authors have deleted this site.

Many years ago I used to live in the Blyth Valley constituency in the North East of England, in what was considered at the time to be one of those “stick a red rosette on a collie dug and it’ll win” type of areas. Ronnie Campbell was the local Labour MP and wasn’t the sharpest tool in the box. Anyway, both himself and his constituency voted for Leave. His “reward” was to be papped oot at the General Election (hell mend ‘im), all these sons and daughters of miners voting in a Tory MP – Shudder!

I often wonder, after these voters had done the deed, if some of them had buyer’s remorse and woke up and realized what they had done by voting in a Tory MP and Government, a bit like George Bailey felt after shaking hands with Mr Potter in “It’s a Wonderful Life” – i.e. totally disgusted with themselves?