The Big Relegation Thread

57 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

The Partick one was funny after they came just shy of an open top bus parade when they finished 6th the season before

They horsed us in the League Cup at the start of that season; we ended up swapping leagues. It was lovely.

11 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

There is a bit of that, but our home form is excellent.  I can see us beating Motherwell.  If Livingston down tools, that might not count for anything but if they take “we’ll show em” attitude, it could mean we’re all but safe before the St Johnstone game.  

Livingston played with absolutely no heart or conviction yesterday but are clearly a much trickier prospect on their plastic.

I don't see County not winning at least one of their remaining home games, which means St Johnstone need at least five points from their last three. Not impossible but that'll need a consistency I certainly don't remember them having for a while.

From the outside Cowie deserves huge credit because he took over a shambles and while Levein may be past it, most folk would have expected him to shitfest St J over the line.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Livingston played with absolutely no heart or conviction yesterday but are clearly a much trickier prospect on their plastic.

I don't see County not winning at least one of their remaining home games, which means St Johnstone need at least five points from their last three. Not impossible but that'll need a consistency I certainly don't remember them having for a while.

From the outside Cowie deserves huge credit because he took over a shambles and while Levein may be past it, most folk would have expected him to shitfest St J over the line.

I said elsewhere that even if some of the County players aren’t very good - and some of them are miles off the standard needed - they aren’t shitehawks.  Cowie is such a decent bloke and he’s garnered a real spirit in the squad.   It’s the only reason I have to think we’ll be okay. 

Edited by Savage Henry

46 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I think we need to win 2, and one has to be against County. County have 2 home games against Motherwell and Aberdeen and they pick up at least 1 win from those two for me, which means they hit at least 36pts. 

We need to win next week for me.

Leveins trying to shitfest but we don't have the players for it, so we're just a nothing outfit. There's plenty of evidence that we're at our best if you tell them to push forward and be brave but it's not going to happen now.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think we need to win 2, and one has to be against County. County have 2 home games against Motherwell and Aberdeen and they pick up at least 1 win from those two for me, which means they hit at least 36pts. 

We need to win next week for me.

Leveins trying to shitfest but we don't have the players for it, so we're just a nothing outfit. There's plenty of evidence that we're at our best if you tell them to push forward and be brave but it's not going to happen now.

After the total anti-climax of United on the last day last season, my main wish is the 'Well v Saints game isn't a dead rubber. Dunno if I'd quite say that's looking probable but certainly more possible than I'd like.

I guess we relegated Livingston so condemning St Johnstone to the play offs in the last game of the season would be an interesting double.

It is positions like this that I love the split for, yes even when my team is involved, each team has games with teams around about them and potentially winnable ( or if levein drawable) games each week. 

49 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

After the total anti-climax of United on the last day last season, my main wish is the 'Well v Saints game isn't a dead rubber. Dunno if I'd quite say that's looking probable but certainly more possible than I'd like.

I've a feeling it'll be a dead rubber tbh. Can fully see you losing to County next week and us failing to beat Livingston, then that's us 4 behind County and having to beat them at McDiarmid to even stay in touch.

Having seen St Johnstone in the Scottish Cup and Ross County in the League cup I would rather it was Saints that were the team to finish 11th, problem being that to get to meet them again we have get through 4 very tough games. Still last season I thought Falkirk would be a difficult challenge at the start of the play-offs yet 45 mins later ...

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Pizzo said:

I'd imagine the championship clubs will be hoping county don't drop down as uncle Roy will surely get the chequebook out again.

He'll have to anyway if they stay up else they'll be fighting for 10th/11th again.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The proverbial 6 pointer on Wednesday night.

Saints vs County.

This looks like it will be an eyebleeding shitfest.

I think it'll be fairly open tbh. We went balls to the wall against Livi and I think we'll start a similar team so have the same start. I don't think County will sit looking for a draw either, they'll go for a win to kill it and will try to start quick too.

24 minutes ago, btb said:

He'll have to anyway if they stay up else they'll be fighting for 10th/11th again.

Yes but that won't affect the Championship clubs though.

His investment in the top flight will not make a huge amount of difference to most teams there, but it would more than likely completely eliminate competition in the 2nd tier.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think it'll be fairly open tbh. We went balls to the wall against Livi and I think we'll start a similar team so have the same start. I don't think County will sit looking for a draw either, they'll go for a win to kill it and will try to start quick too.

I think both teams will be cautious - don't think you'll get a baws out until late in the game.

• 4 months later...

No real surprise to see big relegation thread veterans Hearts in amongst it yet again. Could this season be their 3rd (third) relegation in 11 years? That'd be almost Dundee levels of Boing-Boing from the Maroon Yo-Yo.