The Big Relegation Thread

9 hours ago, Ric said:

I think those who are writing off Hamilton do so without factoring in they have 2 games in hand over County (one of them against us - which while I'd like to think we'd win it, is not a foregone conclusion) and that County are managed by big Yogi.

That said, for me, the four clubs very much in the mix are Hamilton and County (obvs), Killie and St Johnstone.

I honestly think that United have enough in them to pull off a couple of wins which, coupled with their decent points tally already, will see them clear. If they hadn't that cushion though it would be a different story.

Killie really need to make the right decision regarding the manager, which is a blindingly obvious comment I know, but it will make or break their season.

So, just to clarify ric, Dundee United are safe though ‘if they hadn’t that cushion it would be a different story’ whereas St Johnstone, on one point less with a superior goal difference, are ‘very much in the mix’ ?

uh huh yes GIF by Hallmark Channel

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Getting relegated is fine if you get promoted straight away. After that your club inevitably seems to get dragged down to the levels of Morton/Falkirk/Partick and it becomes a complete slog.

5 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

TBF, you'd need to get relegated and still be there in 2054 for that to be the case.

I fully expect comments like the latter post when Morton are brought up in conversation here, so that doesn't bother me.

Being likened to that League One drivel though?

This aggression will not stand.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Getting relegated is fine if you get promoted straight away. After that your club inevitably seems to get dragged down to the levels of Morton/Falkirk/Partick and it becomes a complete slog.

Don't mention Falkirk and Partick in the same breath as that dross Morton. Airdrieonians and QOS are bigger than Morton. 

Edited by MS RR

36 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I thought I’d better pop in, have a look and familiarise myself with the place.  :(

You'll be fine, IMO, but it's been quite the drop in form from you guys. What's gone wrong? I'm intrigued by Mellon - his Paisley roots always saw him speculatively linked with us. Seemed like he was doing a very solid job in the first third of the season. 

9 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

You'll be fine, IMO, but it's been quite the drop in form from you guys. What's gone wrong? I'm intrigued by Mellon - his Paisley roots always saw him speculatively linked with us. Seemed like he was doing a very solid job in the first third of the season. 

Just a couple of weeks ago I might have agreed that we’d be fine.  However it’s not just the results that’s the problem, it’s the performances.  We look like a beaten team.

There are issues with our squad in terms of both quality and imbalance that Mellon has inherited.  That said he is not utilising the squad effectively, only using one subbie on Wednesday when we’re chasing the game being an example.

He also seems unable to get the team to address our single biggest issue, defending at set pieces.  This could well be our undoing this season.

I see us struggling at the bottom as the season ends.

1 minute ago, AmericanFan said:

Kind of a separation Saturday with United, St. Mirren and St. Johnstone moving further away from what's increasingly looking like a race between Killie, Accies and County.

Yeah, that's looking increasingly likely to be the bottom 3. I think jobbygate is the secret word to finally end Hamilton's top flight run. Shades of Beatlejuice.  Kille and RC to fight for 11th, manager choice for Killie could sway things, Pressley or McIntyre? Both should provide a new manager bounce...........😜

2021-02-06_17-05-34.png.4c4e6cc708f1c0ebd2ca88a9e8b2b7dc.png

The highest placed of the bottom 7 all win, with the 3 lower ones all losing...

2021-02-06_17-07-14.png.d140a1c957738b558437206912988ff9.png

I'm ruling Livingston out, despite their loss, as they only really need 4/5 points to secure their safety.

St Mirren probably only need ~13 points from 13 games, and thats if they even finish in the bottom half which they shouldn't considering the games in hand.

United/Saints likely safe from 12th, but 11th still a potential problem.

2021-02-06_17-10-05.png.855f2c2dfb54605f3d5a72970d1fee9d.png

Big week for Motherwell, who could really create a bottom 3 by defeating both Kilmarnock and Hamilton.

League should be a bit clearer after these games as everyone evens up in terms of games played.

Edited by RandomGuy.

5 minutes ago, scam75 said:

Yeah, that's looking increasingly likely to be the bottom 3. I think jobbygate is the secret word to finally end Hamilton's top flight run. Shades of Beatlejuice.  Kille and RC to fight for 11th, manager choice for Killie could sway things, Pressley or McIntyre? Both should provide a new manager bounce...........😜

With two matches against Accies and one against both Well and County before the split, St. Mirren needs to start thinking of going for 5th and European football.

St Johnstone up surely fine now. Motherwell should be ok given they have more points and games in hand over the two sides directly below them.
That bottom three looks a bit set. Just can’t work out who stays up, who wins the playoff and who goes down.

Just now, Lex said:

St Johnstone up surely fine now. Motherwell should be ok given they have more points and games in hand over the two sides directly below them.
That bottom three looks a bit set. Just can’t work out who stays up, who wins the playoff and who goes down.

You say that as if Hamilton won't win their next 3 games.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

St Mirren probably only need ~13 points from 13 games, and thats if they even finish in the bottom half which they shouldn't considering the games in hand.

No chance do we need as many as 13 points from 13 games. That's 45 points.

Us finishing 2nd bottom on 44 points would require not only one of Accies/Ross County to go on a major run, effectively doubling their points tally over the first 26/28 matches in the last 10/12 games (on assumption Accies lose tomorrow) but for Killie to also fire together a similar run.

With so many clubs cutting each other's throat in the last 5 rounds of fixtures, there's no way will 2 out of 3 pull that off.

On current trajectories, Hamilton will finish on 29, County on 31 and Killie on 33. Of course this won't go exactly according to this plan (because Hamilton) but I'd feel safe in saying any team who hits 38 will be well clear of 11th or 12th.

Edited by djchapsticks