The Big Relegation Thread

6 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Accies are going down. The only interesting debate is whether doing so automatically will be worse than losing to Dundee in a playoff.

I think this could be the year that that statement is actually true my Deficient chum. In other news, Dundee derby play off final.

6 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Accies are going down. The only interesting debate is whether doing so automatically will be worse than losing to Dundee in a playoff.

Probably the only match-up I feel we'd win. Won't even make it that far.

30 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Probably the only match-up I feel we'd win. Won't even make it that far.

Yes, I can see it now. Paul McGowan (very disappointing spell at Accies, not exactly a fans favourite) rubbing our nose in it. Charlie Adam repeats his MotM performance for St Mirren in that Challenge Cup Final.

To paraphrase Groucho Marx: we'll go,  and never darken your towels again.

8 hours ago, ropy said:

Does every manager think that losing to St Mirren is the lowest point in their career?

Yeah, I'm not really happy with the narrative around this. It's not for me to say when Lennon's lowest point in his career is but the fact is his team played badly and lost a game, putting pretty much the nail in the coffin of 10IAR, not the fact that he lost to us in particular. The media won't see that though, they are too quick to damn proclaim the team they lost to is part of the reason Lennon is miserable.

Edited by Ric

On 27/01/2021 at 21:36, Ric said:

Yeah, for most of the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Less so recently mind, that said we decided not to overspend our budget nor did we have the league void our relegation, so you know there's that.. ;)

Checked it out, 1988/89

9 hours ago, ropy said:

Does every manager think that losing to St Mirren is the lowest point in their career?

It's proven , for Celtic managers anyway. Big Jock's last game was a 3-1 defeat at Love St , Mowbray's , the famous 4-0 game and now Lennon !

34 minutes ago, billyg said:

It's proven , for Celtic managers anyway. Big Jock's last game was a 3-1 defeat at Love St , Mowbray's , the famous 4-0 game and now Lennon !

Stendel last season, Gary Holt (cheers for that one btw, the catalyst for our 13 game unbeaten run).

15 hours ago, Ric said:

Yeah, I'm not really happy with the narrative around this. It's not for me to say when Lennon's lowest point in his career is but the fact is his team played badly and lost a game, putting pretty much the nail in the coffin of 10IAR, not the fact that he lost to us in particular. The media won't see that though, they are too quick to damn proclaim the team they lost to is part of the reason Lennon is miserable.

Losing to a free falling Ross County under Kettlewell  at Sharkhead is easily worse than losing to a St Mirren side that had already ended Rangers domestic unbeaten run.

14 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Ross County losing Stewart a bit of a blow? He hasn’t scored as much this season and missed a lot of chances but always seemed to be a threat.

Yeah it is a blow, although he didn’t take his chances this season, one goal would have set him off and would have went on a streak.  We generally didn’t play him up top, on either side of that to work his balls off.  His performance at Parkhead easily shows what he’s capable of.  300k for an underperforming player that can leave for free is a crumb of comfort.

Looking at the bottom 7 there's not a lot of difference in ineptitude up front - all between 21 and 26 goals for.

It's the goals against that's going to be the killer for the bottom two.  St Mirren's defence will ensure that've nothing to fear. But for those on 51? 

image.png

Edited by House Bartender