Scotland squad next month

5 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Not really. I did find it strange that he called him up, however, what clarke said made sense. Time will tell. He will be fine against san marino but i dont think he is good enough

Edited to add. Shankland will possibly move onto a bigger club and improve. O’donnell is at his levep

Have you, a Dundee United fan, ever actually seen O'Donnell play domestically for Kilmarnock?

Genuinely can't remember if United have played top flight football in the past three years...

O'Donnell has been the second best right-back in the Premiership behind Tavernier for the last two years. Yes, he's clearly not good enough to play against the likes of Russia and Belgium, but I'm not sure why we would expect guys who were worse at the same level to magically do some better job.

Have you, a Dundee United fan, ever actually seen O'Donnell play domestically for Kilmarnock?
Genuinely can't remember if United have played top flight football in the past three years...

I am not a dundee utd fan

O'Donnell has been the second best right-back in the Premiership behind Tavernier for the last two years. Yes, he's clearly not good enough to play against the likes of Russia and Belgium, but I'm not sure why we would expect guys who were worse at the same level to magically do some better job.

Whilst this may or may not be true, it highlights that generally players from the spl are not good enough for international football these days. Luckily most of our starting players are outwith the spl.

Whilst this may or may not be true, it highlights that generally players from the spl are not good enough for international football these days. Luckily most of our starting players are outwith the spl.
Yip, thankfully not a single player in the squad plays in the SPL.

I cannot believe there is a decent likelihood I am going to be watching at least one of Johnny Russell or Oliver Burke starting for Scotland again. Both miles off what we need, Russell was borderline at his peak and now offers even less, while Burke has a trampoline of a touch and a pea for a brain.

Not really. I did find it strange that he called him up, however, what clarke said made sense. Time will tell. He will be fine against san marino but i dont think he is good enough

Edited to add. Shankland will possibly move onto a bigger club and improve. O’donnell is at his levep
Are San Marino worse than Alloa? He was anonymous against Alloa so I wouldn't hold out he'll rattle them in against San Marino (though I hope he does).

Point I'm making is I don't know why you can get so wound up about Dykes (who's been excellent so far) getting a call up but you haven't got such an issue with Shankland, who hasn't proven himself at Dykes's level yet.

Are San Marino worse than Alloa? He was anonymous against Alloa so I wouldn't hold out he'll rattle them in against San Marino (though I hope he does).

Point I'm making is I don't know why you can get so wound up about Dykes (who's been excellent so far) getting a call up but you haven't got such an issue with Shankland, who hasn't proven himself at Dykes's level yet.

Additionally to this, Shankland chose the easy option and went to Dundee United for the money whereas Dykes chose to test himself at a higher level.

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

Aye right enough, the Irish have fair struggled with “SPL” and League 1 players. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

Additionally to this, Shankland chose the easy option and went to Dundee United for the money whereas Dykes chose to test himself at a higher level.

I’m pretty sure Sunderland would’ve been offering him more money, even with United’s American owners chucking a boatload at him. He wanted guaranteed game time, and his chats with RN about how he’d have the system built around him swayed him as well. This time next year he’ll be playing at a higher level anyway, with Dundee United or not.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

If we're going down the route of pointing out poor performances in a single game then I'm pretty sure the entire squad can be called in to question.

Griffiths, Christie, Forrest and McGregor were rank against us, also a Championship team, yet three of them are (rightly) in the squad and many are lamenting Griffiths' absence.

Are San Marino worse than Dunfermline?

Edited by DA Baracus

If we're going down the route of pointing out poor performances in a single game then I'm pretty sure the entire squad can be called in to question.
Griffiths, Christie, Forrest and McGregor were rank against us, also a Championship team, yet three of them are (rightly) in the squad and many are lamenting Griffiths' absence.
Are San Marino worse than Dunfermline?
The point wasn't to be critical of Shankland's performance. The point was it's ludicrous to say he'll do fine against San Marino, as a matter of fact given he's prone to off days like every other player in the world.