St Johnstone v rangers, Sunday 22nd September 2019. 12:15pm

Things you hate to see - Rangers fans being right about not getting a decision.

Things you love to see - RG being proved wrong twice in the space of three pages about decisions he’s got in a lather about.

As far as our non goal goes, Davidson shouldn’t have given the guy a chance to block it. Did we not have a very similar miss in another game this season? Need to cut that shite out.

Well that was fairly predictable. 

Decent enough first half from Saints, thought Sevco looked a bit knackered TBH. Bit odd that Ojo was moved off the right when he was clearly taking Tanser to bits. That boy Baker or Barker looks pish eh. 

The May situation is interesting. Impossible really to say too much from his first 2 full games as he's been unsupported but he  seems to struggle for a turn of pace and he's just not as sharp as he was, not even trying to turn his defender.  Hope he'll come onto a game. The Sevco CBs today were a proper wall. Our only chance was getting in behind and both MOH and Kennedy seemed a bit off the pace. Spoony was OK, Muzz was committed without being effective, and again the stand out was probably young McCann, thought he had a good game. Felt sorry for him that he took on the shot which lead to a goal when half his team-mates seemed to be shiteing it.  Zander needs to get the ball out quicker when we're behind. 

As for the controversial decisions, I was a bit away from the handball but to me and everyone around me it looked like a nailed on penalty. It also looked clearly a goal for Saints and we were in line with the linesman. I'm sure that the gruesome twosome will clear it all up for us tonight though.

It's a cliche but it's true, our season isn't defined by these games and it's a bit of a free hit. Still not worried, but if get less than 10 points out of the next 5 games I think we will be. 

Let's see 2 up front until the end of October please Tommy. 

BTW why do we go to all the bother of vigorously restricting ticket sales to the extent that even some of our own fans struggle to get in, then just let dozens of touts blatantly sell tickets around outside the ground? We should be able to clamp down on that. 

We can't blame anyone but ourselves for that garbage. Played ourselves into the game, 0-0 at half time and looked fairly comfortable. Second half we lose a goal again from our own attacking set piece. Morelos goal was criminal, poor cover in general on the counter and poor choice of ball from Gordon. Schoolboy. Second goal and the biggest concern is our defence can't clear their lines. They are far too passive, piss poor. We then have a wonderful chance to get back to 2-1 and you can say what you want about the ref, we didn't deserve a goal for that lack of composure - 3 times we should burst the net.

Naive, fragile, passive. That's how I'd describe this Saints side defensively. Really not good enough and we have now heaped huge pressure on ourselves for the next 5 games. 3 wins minimum.

9 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

We can't blame anyone but ourselves for that garbage.

Have to disagree to an extent. The firepower they have in terms of resources means it's not a level field. I didn't see any lack of commitment from the team today. Our players just aren't at the same level of quality and depth of bench and frankly that comes down to cash and not much else. What I will blame the club for is the shambolic close season, this is a team that have hardly played together as a unit. 

10 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

our defence can't clear their lines. We then have a wonderful chance to get back to 2-1 and you can say what you want about the ref, we didn't deserve a goal for that lack of composure - 3 times we should burst the net.

Agree entirely with these 2 points though. It was a problem on a few occasions that we didn't get a foot through the ball when clearing. Seems a thing this season. 

Being shot-shy also caused the situation where McCann was forced to try a shot through half a dozen bodies, with the predictable rebound-counter-goal outcome.

55 minutes ago, Dele said:

For a game Random says he was expecting a pumping (which they got) and that he doest care, he's sure giving off the perception that he's about three arguments away from an attempted murder charge. 

I'm like this every game, its embarrassing you still get so excited about it.

Football is a simple game, complicated by idiots. Tommy Wright didn't used to be an idiot. Why, when we have a set piece, can we not just set ourselves up properly, then put the ball in the mixer? We are going to have 40% possession in a game like today and aren't going to have masses of opportunities. Don't squander those you do get.

More generally, I think we all said the opening fixtures were hard so calm heads are required but it builds a little bit of pressure ahead of this next burst of games, especially if you don't win the first couple and little gap opens up. You are left looking for the leaders in our squad... 

1 hour ago, TavTastic said:

A rare enough occurrence to be fair. One defeat out of 16 this season. 

Considering your teams major trophy record reads zero I’m going to guess you’ve experienced plenty of defeats.

43 minutes ago, Radford said:

Football is a simple game, complicated by idiots. Tommy Wright didn't used to be an idiot. Why, when we have a set piece, can we not just set ourselves up properly, then put the ball in the mixer? We are going to have 40% possession in a game like today and aren't going to have masses of opportunities. Don't squander those you do get.

This isn’t a new thing. We’ve been doing that for a couple of years. Liam Craig is one of the worst for it, but it seems to be spreading. It absolutely infuriated me, as 9/10 times we play it into a difficult position or, at best, end up putting the ball in the middle from roughly the same position but before the big guys from the back have got into position.

I thought it was a poor performance overall. At least we made things difficult for Rangers in the first half, albeit without managing to keep hold of the ball for more than 10 seconds. The shape was all wrong and there was a massive gap between Stevie May and the furthest forward midfielder. What is he supposed to do? His application can't be faulted. I even saw him in the left-back position at one point, but he won't score any goals unless he has a strike partner or more consistent support from players like Matty Kennedy and Michael O'Halloran. It's also obvious that we will be relying massively on Jason Holt this season. The defence looked fairly organised in the first half against a seemingly insipid Rangers side, but they always look equally capable of making damaging errors. Once the first goal went in, our heads dropped in a very un-St. Johnstone way.

The game was crying out for a change of shape, so I was disappointed to see Wotherspoon being replaced by Callachan in a straight swap. In addition to this, Scott Tanser was clearly struggling for the last 25-30 minutes of the match. Limping all over the place, being caught out of position... Either TW somehow didn't notice this or he has absolutely no faith in Callum Booth.

4 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

they have in terms of resources means it's not a level field. I didn't see any lack of commitment from the team today. Our players just aren't at the same level of quality and depth of bench and frankly that comes down to cash

This is no different than in past years. I cannot recall losing so many goals to the the Glasgow sides in 2 games. In previous seasons we managed to give a good account of ourselves .

Your comments are a smoke screen for our defensive problems i.e. two young boys at centre back who cannot learn from each other as neither has the experience. This is our problem. I hear we are a team in transition and if we stay up they will be better for the experience of this season. But we need two teams to be worse than us and finish below us. So far we are bottom with no one below us. Motherwell, Ross County, St Mirren and Hamilton next. If we are still in the bottom 2 after these games I will fear the worst. 

9 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Some defending by the Perth team. Shame.

swanson not well enough to play?

Can you get yourself to absolute f**k with this utter shite. The past two weeks you've been having random wee subtle digs at Swanson which are just completely bizarre.

We get it, you probably know something we dont and find it hilarious, now off you f**k.

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Are you fucking mental?

I thought it would be a bargain buy at only £10.10, but the bus arrived two hours late. Later in the journey, we had to stop for half an hour because the driver had a sore back. Then we needed to transfer onto another bus and wait for our luggage to be moved.

Anyway, to answer your question - yes.

I thought it would be a bargain buy at only £10.10, but the bus arrived two hours late. Later in the journey, we had to stop for half an hour because the driver had a sore back. Then we needed to transfer onto another bus and wait for our luggage to be moved.
Anyway, to answer your question - yes.

Spending 13 hours on a bus because it only cost a tenner is only value for money if you think your time is worthless.

In TRS’s case this is objectively true.