Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

10 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Yeah I have also been told from a family member of a under 18/reserve squad player that McCall took very little to do with first team training, apparently sits in his car at training sessions and takes nothing to do with any of the players out with the first team squad, to put in perspective this boy was with Killie under 10s when Shields was the manager and he would come to their training and encourage the kids, if all this is true the question is what did McCall do with the players was he the motivater maybe.

Alex Ferguson never took training, We had Scally and Stewart along with Kerr and up till recently Higgins doing coaching. 

Alex Ferguson never took training, We had Scally and Stewart along with Kerr and up till recently Higgins doing coaching. 

It’s a much more old school approach (which admittedly McCall is) to let coaches coach and the manager manage the players. Most modern managers will spend most of the time giving players information.

I’m sure Ferguson said that managers won’t learn much by constantly getting involved and should take a back seat and just observe.

I don’t think people should necessarily criticise McCall for this. Whilst he may not be a great coach, he’s always been praised for his man management and inspirational team talks. He clearly knows his weaknesses lie on the training pitch as he’s always surrounded himself with good coaches.

46 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Jack Ross spend the money they got for players, including 300k for Lewis Morgan on a whole new team in January and still only scraped survival and won the championship which was wide open all year and a newly promoted Livingston went up through the play-offs. 

A bit of perspective on the managerial ability of Jack Ross. 

Let's be fair, Alex Rae had all but relegated that St Mirren team when Ross came in. It was a minor miracle keeping them up. 

1 minute ago, Iain said:

Let's be fair, Alex Rae had all but relegated that St Mirren team when Ross came in. It was a minor miracle keeping them up. 

There is a miracle and there is spending more than Raith and Ayrs budget combined in a panic at Christmas and barely staying up. Raith played Ryan Stevenson in goals at one point remember

There is a miracle and there is spending more than Raith and Ayrs budget combined in a panic at Christmas and barely staying up. Raith played Ryan Stevenson in goals at one point remember
You can spend a fortune and not go on the kind of streak they went on though. Credit where it's due.

22 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

They didn't barely stay up, they were my favourites for the next season's league long before the season finished, the only surprise was how long it took them to attain safety, they scooshed the league the following season.

Edited by ayrmad

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Would we even have been capable of scouting opposition, who would have done it at 3 on a Saturday?  We don't even have anyone to take charge of the halt time sub warm up.

Ayr have a very decent scouting set up , I believe McCall is possibly taking them to Thistle 

24 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

They didn't barely stay up, they were my favourites for the next season's league long before the season finished, the only surprise was how long it took them to attain safety, they scooshed the league the following season.

https://spfl.co.uk/league/championship/archive/264

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

I know how and when they stayed up, they were far better than rest of the bottom sides but that doesn't always get results at the business end of the season, look at how long it took McCall to get us safe when he 1st came in.

4 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I know how and when they stayed up, they were far better than rest of the bottom sides but that doesn't always get results at the business end of the season, look at how long it took McCall to get us safe when he 1st came in.

McCall didn't have a comparatively huge budget and the ability to sell his best player and get him back on loan. 

They won three of the last ten games, including Ayr and Raith who were at that point in freefall.  He took over after the first round of fixtures and survived thanks to goal difference. "far better" is using poetic license

6 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

McCall didn't have a comparatively huge budget and the ability to sell his best player and get him back on loan. 

They won three of the last ten games, including Ayr and Raith who were at that point in freefall.  He took over after the first round of fixtures and survived thanks to goal difference. "far better" is using poetic license

Far better as in, they didn't add much to their squad that summer and strolled it the next season, they comfortably avoided 10th and I've no doubt would have scudded anyone if they'd found themselves in the playoffs.

Last 10

W 5 D 4 L1 For 24 Against 10

Against bottom half 

W 4 D 2 L 0 For 18 Against 5

That's not the usual profile of a side officially staying up on the last day.

The season McCall came in you could clearly see we were going to be at the top of whichever league we were in the following season even although we made heavy weather of avoiding relegation.

Edited by ayrmad

Far better as in, they didn't add much to their squad that summer and strolled it the next season, they comfortably avoided 10th and I've no doubt would have scudded anyone if they'd found themselves in the playoffs.
Last 10
W 5 D 4 L1 For 24 Against 10
Against bottom half 
W 4 D 2 L 0 For 18 Against 5
That's not the usual profile of a side officially staying up on the last day.
The season McCall came in you could clearly see we were going to be at the top of whichever league we were in the following season even although we made heavy weather of avoiding relegation.

“They didn’t darkly stay up “- finished joint second bottom but survived on goal difference
“They were far better “- they were less shit than Ayr and Raith. Dumbarton had a better survival that year and Stevie Aitken isn’t a managerial genius you are making Jack Ross out to be

16 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

“They didn’t darkly stay up “- finished joint second bottom but survived on goal difference
“They were far better “- they were less shit than Ayr and Raith. Dumbarton had a better survival that year and Stevie Aitken isn’t a managerial genius you are making Jack Ross out to be

St Mirren were tailed off at one stage, that means it's impossible for Dumbarton to have had a better survival, I don't even think I've mentioned JR.

You're just making shit up to suit your argument now, 3 wins was actually 5 and now Dumbarton were seemingly out of it before rallying.

Edited by ayrmad

The more I'm hearing about McCall the more I'm getting very annoyed at both him and Thistle for basically screwing us over.

You can read it however you like but the bottom line is that our Manager and coaching staff have been tapped up by a rival club in the same division in the middle of a season (ok, not quite middle) and they've also used their media connections to make it all look like a nice friendly approach where the poor guy was fighting his head and heart as they placed him with this terrible dilemma of staying at his beloved Ayr or returning to his first love where he has "unfinished business".

PISH.

We've been well and truly screwed over here by both McCall and Partick and quite frankly I hope they are relegated and McCall, Scally and anyone else who defects has a miserable time and ultimately lose their jobs.

Bitter ?

Indeed, now what was the price of these blow up snakes on Amazon again ????