Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

I may have missed it but it feels like Darren Young just came into “contention” a few days ago. He was never listed in any of the McIntyre, Canning etc lists. Not sure how I’d feel about Young as manager. It seems lower level teams like East Fife suits him better as opposed to an upper Championship team

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

What has Young achieved to suggest he can get a gig better than 2nd best team in the Championship? 

He's lead East Fife to two average mid table finishes so far. He is a massive gamble. 

I completely agree with you, either going to keep us flying in the championship or back in league 1 in a couple of seasons.

7 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I may have missed it but it feels like Darren Young just came into “contention” a few days ago. He was never listed in any of the McIntyre, Canning etc lists. Not sure how I’d feel about Young as manager. It seems lower level teams like East Fife suits him better as opposed to an upper Championship team

Guys got a real good job as an estate agent , I feel he could do that on top of managing Ayr full time as they are normally finished around lunchtime 

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

None of those mentioned regularly take my mood above meh, a poor list of applicants for the team we have at the moment.

Still hoping for the rabbit.

There is no one else out there looking for a job that are better than the applicants , we cannot afford to pay big compensation to any club 

26 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

QoTS fans by and large vastly overestimated the players they had when McIntyre came in, mental to think they're unhappy with him taking that squad into the playoffs considering the sides in the division that season. 

I don't think our fans vastly over-estimated anything of the sort to be honest. I think you underestimate how decent our squad was but it did need some changes and he largely got them right, though it took to about December for it to properly click and we never did get to grips with Hamilton and Dundee who were way better than us that season. Getting us into 4th wasn't some massive over-achievement though. It's about where we should have been. As much as I'm a fan of his management, it wasn't some sort of miracle.

McIntyre did a good and thoroughly professional job with us, and was largely castigated for a number of reasons, mainly for not being Allan Johnston. MT and I have debated this many a time but the main things held against him at the time were:

- Tinkering with a settled defence by adding Andy Dowie to it (whilst he took 2 or 3 months to really settle Dowie ended up being our best defender for the next two years)
 - converting Iain Russell to a left winger rather than centre forward (Russell quickly established himself as an excellent left winger at this level and it accommodated playing Lyle and Reilly together up top).
 - persisting with playing Ian McShane, who most fans could see no good in initially (he went on to become crucial to our midfield and earned us a significant transfer fee when he joined Ross County 2 years later).
 - Signing Calum Antell to play in goal (yep, he got that one wrong, but he was left with an 11th hour choice between him and Grant Adam after Allan Johnston had waited well into pre-season trying to persuade Lee Robinson to re-sign only for him to go to Sweden instead. He did at least jettison Antell fairly quickly and replace him with Zander Clark, getting that one bang on).

We probably should have beaten Falkirk in the playoffs too considering we were 3-1 up on aggregate at half time in the 2nd leg. Whilst he had moved on to Ross County by then, it was pretty much McIntyre's squad that James Fowler took to 4th the following season, "best of the rest" in a season that had Rangers, Hearts and Hibs as rivals, and ran Rangers very close in the playoffs (Rangers finishing at Ibrox clinging on with 6 centre halves on the pitch).

Edited by Skyline Drifter

30 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

By all accounts he was an absolute arsehole to the press volunteers at Falkirk. 

QoTS fans by and large vastly overestimated the players they had when McIntyre came in, mental to think they're unhappy with him taking that squad into the playoffs considering the sides in the division that season. 

Oh, don't get me wrong, he's clearly an arsehole. I just think that he's a 'good' arsehole and it's at least transparent. There's nothing more annoying than these 'larger than life' characters we get in Scottish Football who seem to be lauded for 'character' and 'determination' when they are all full of hot air. I wouldn't expect Hartley to be a great laugh who I'd want to approach but he has some basic understanding and does give everything.

I think his biggest issue was that when he went full-time with Dundee, he still had a really good contact book with ex team mates (e.g. McPake, Thomson, Clarkson) and then a fair number of really talented part-timers (e.g. McGinn, Bain, Stewart, Hemmings) who he knew very well and worked quickly to get first dibs (or in the case of Hemmings, second...) on. He was always one to try and improve his squad and I think when those sources had been used up, he become very erratic with it. If he could just not sack every 'average' player every season and go for a magical mystery pick, he'd be a lot better off (and possibly would be managing a top flight Dundee right now).

Edited by harry94

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-league-1/976801/manager-of-month-darren-young-homes-in-on-promotion-dream-with-east-fife/

An estate agent job which sounds as if it takes up a lot of his time, you wonder if he's going to come in as a kind of hybrid full time manager where he's not always there for training so someone like Stewart will be staying to do that, wouldn't exactly be much difference to what's happened during the week for the last couple of years by all accounts.