Worst places in UK (not in Scotland)

3 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Surprised at the lack of mentions for Burnley. Sticks out for me as an abysmal place, amongst many abysmal places visited while going to watch games of football.

South Wales is a strange one. The Rhondda Valley has some breathtaking scenery, punctuated by absolutely desperate towns and villages that were utterly destroyed with the decline of coal mining. Generally always enjoyed my weekends down there but there is no escaping how bad it is in some places.

Burnley strikes me as the type of place that people know is going to be a shitehole without even seeing it and therefore avoid at all costs. 

Just remembered Grimethorpe - they should honestly just have left out the last seven letters of the name. I remember feeling an overwhelming black cloud of depression descend on me when I happened to have the misfortune to visit the place. Horrible. 

6 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Burnley strikes me as the type of place that people know is going to be a shitehole without even seeing it and therefore avoid at all costs. 

Probably fair. It was everything I expected and a bit more.

7 minutes ago, Ross. said:

South Wales is a strange one. The Rhondda Valley has some breathtaking scenery, punctuated by absolutely desperate towns and villages that were utterly destroyed with the decline of coal mining. Generally always enjoyed my weekends down there but there is no escaping how bad it is in some places.

Yeah, it's a beautiful part of hte world but most of the towns are abject.  I knew a lassie from down there at Uni and numerous people from her year at school had committed suicide or were heroin addicts, it was crazy.

Just now, Gordon EF said:

Most of England and Wales really is just filled with grim, desolate shitholes tbf.

That's true. We'd be far quicker naming the decent places and assuming the rest are hell-holes. 

4 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Brighton is another, seems to have got a lot worse in recent years. 

Mumsnet agrees - https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1526925-To-think-that-Brighton-is-a-hideous-dump

yes I am afraid pretentious is the word, and as for 'quirky' cafes and baby friendly cinemas...hm... well....nice if you have the cash, and one offs, essentially. Absolutely dire out of the lovely 'funky' centre, rampant child abuse, and fulll of unbearable types who have relocated from London to bring up their repulsive offspring who are invariably called jocasta or something.

Jocasta :lol: 

1 minute ago, Lee Van Tee said:

Tower Hamlets in London. If you think knife crime is bad in Glasgow have a look at the statistics for that shithole.

I don't disagree, but Tower Hamlets is more than one area. None great, but will improve as development continues.

Just now, LondonHMFC said:

Brighton is another, seems to have got a lot worse in recent years. 

I'm sorry LondonHMFC, but I can't agree with that. 

I've visited there several times over the years and spent 4 days there a couple of months ago and it was brilliant. A multitude of bars, cafes and restaurants to sit by the sea front as well as all the others in the streets and lanes running through the centre. The weather was perfect for the whole time I was there and probably enjoys some of the UK's best weather each year. It was peak tourist season and the place was absolutely buzzing. 

Probably one of my favourite places in the UK tbh.

Bradford 15 years ago was the most hellish place I've ever been to in the UK. Went back last year and was surprised at how far its come on in the intervening years.

Leicester has to take the current crown ahead of Corby, Sunderland, Brighton and Newport (Wales not IOW)

Birmingham. Had a 4 day work trip there, saw a person shitting in street, 2 folk taking heroin by the canal. One guy with gold plated teeth who asked for money. Unpleasant accent. Bad smell all over the city. Not pleasant.