Worst places in UK (not in Scotland)

12 hours ago, hearthammer said:

Luton       'tis a major shithole

An absolute hell hole of a place. One of the very few places I felt somewhat nervous walking about late in the evening. 

44 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Liverpool is a great city but Toxteth was a bit run down when I was there, in the way that Beirut was a bit run down after the civil war.

Love Liverpool, excellent city. Some fantastic boozers (special mention to Ship & Mitre), however as you mentioned Toxteth is rotten. We stayed in a hotel there a few years back and had some of our clothes nicked from the room. 

London has some nice parts, but a lot of it is minging. Especially around the South East. 

Burnley is a shit tip.

7 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

12 hours and nobody has mentioned Milton Keynes ?? total dive

1 hour ago, Marten said:

Some of the worst places I've been to have already been mentioned: Redcar, Blackpool & Luton.

I'd also like to mention Milton Keynes. Not a "shithole" in the sense of some other places mentioned here, but really a quite boring, soulless place. It just seemed to have nothing there when I went, and that was even with a local showing me around (I was there to visit a friend).

Pay attention!

54 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

Sorry sarge

This is well informed research, you might learn something.

I didn't really like Liverpool...The Beatles, we get it, now shut up. Preston is ok for a night or an extended train wait. I'm an optimist and usually find a few redeeming features. You can't say London is rubbish, it's about 100 towns stuck together. If your in a high rise scheme, you're in the wrong part, try Greenwich or Blackheath.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

11 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Barrow in Furness.

The arm pit of the British Isles.

The only town where I've ever seen two seperate Greggs shops on opposite sides of the High Street. Not at different ends. You can stand outside one and see th eother one acrss the street. In town terms, that makes Barrow OFTW.

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

The only town where I've ever seen two seperate Greggs shops on opposite sides of the High Street. Not at different ends. You can stand outside one and see th eother one acrss the street. In town terms, that makes Barrow OFTW.

A few mates worked there. One was fortunate enough to befriend a young lady from the "battered wives home". She had love and hate tattooed on her knees.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Liverpool is a great city but Toxteth was a bit run down when I was there, in the way that Beirut was a bit run down after the civil war.

Liverpool city centre is nice. Step outside that invisible line and it's like walking into fucking Silent Hill, only more violent.

Edited by Gordon EF

11 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

I had an aunt and uncle who moved near there in the 1970's to a nearby seaside town called Redcar, f**k me that was bleak beyond DESCRIPTION.

As a kid my parents would regularly drag me down there for a week to visit them and my cousins, loved spending time with them but, my god it was depressing that place, a soulless, grey seaside town with a polluted beach and a giant petro chemical plant a few miles up the road in Middlesborough. 

The fact that, well known, dark ages set, racist comedian Roy Chubby Brown is the most famous son of Redcar is a fairly accurate summation of the place, full of angry drunk xenophobic little Englanders. 

I'll second this. An absolute dive. I spent a day and night there years ago with work, had a wander around and it appeared to have no redeeming qualities whatsover. I've also never seen so many boy racers congregated in one spot as the car park down the front in my life. 

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

A few mates worked there. One was fortunate enough to befriend a young lady from the "battered wives home". She had love and hate tattooed on her knees.

The kind of place where somone ends up punched to death every few months after a row about who's first in the queue at McDonalds at 11am on a Tuesday morning.

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I remember Sunderland being an absolute pit of a place. And Dover is a complete dump as well.

If you were extending to the whole of the British isles, then Limerick wins. Used to visit relatives near there fairly often, and it was unimaginably bleak.

When my mum and dad and I were travelling through Ireland in 1997 our car wsa broken into in Limerick.  They stole my CDs but left my CD player.

Surprised at the lack of mentions for Burnley. Sticks out for me as an abysmal place, amongst many abysmal places visited while going to watch games of football.

South Wales is a strange one. The Rhondda Valley has some breathtaking scenery, punctuated by absolutely desperate towns and villages that were utterly destroyed with the decline of coal mining. Generally always enjoyed my weekends down there but there is no escaping how bad it is in some places.

Edited by Ross.