General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Absolutely. "We're more legitimate than you" doesn't ring right. They should go with "You're more of a b*****d than us".

It's something that is going to affect the entire developed world, and people still don't have an answer to it. Importing people young enough to support the old has been the sticking plaster but is not the long term answer. Systematic changes seem the only answer but no one seems willing to consider anything that is even half approaching "radical".

The solution is the economic model has to change. The world is in a crisis of OVER production. Services and credit don't create the things we need to live, they are just means of distributing production unequally. 

The pensioner thing looks difficult to overcome but the next generation of pensioners are going to be poorer and more socially liberal so there's some hope. 

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

The solution is the economic model has to change. The world is in a crisis of OVER production. Services and credit don't create the things we need to

Slogans.

About all your peanut brain can manage really. 

ut the next generation of pensioners are going to be poorer and more socially liberal 

"This problem I have suddenly discovered and know nothing about, let me tell you all the solutions"

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The solution is the economic model has to change. The world is in a crisis of OVER production. Services and credit don't create the things we need to live, they are just means of distributing production unequally. 

The pensioner thing looks difficult to overcome but the next generation of pensioners are going to be poorer and more socially liberal so there's some hope. 

I hope you are right, but long term thinking still seems to be "All these current old people will die and there will be less old people in future to support which we can cope with".

8 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Slogans.

About all your peanut brain can manage really. 

"This problem I have suddenly discovered and know nothing about, let me tell you all the solutions"

You describe real problems that are inherent in our economic system but as soon as a solution is put forward you instantly criticise it. Genuinely strange. 

We are NOT going to solve the current crises via improving growth, foreign direct investment or more credit. You know that. 

Edited by Detournement

4 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I hope you are right, but long term thinking still seems to be "All these current old people will die and there will be less old people in future to support which we can cope with".

People who are retiring now largely have decent pensions and wealth from the housing bubble. That's not going to be the case in 20 years time. 

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

People who are retiring now largely have decent pensions and wealth from the housing bubble. That's not going to be the case in 20 years time. 

Yes, but the chances are there will also be a glut of old people dying at some point which will flood the markets with property and shares and drive prices down, while taking numbers off the state pension/health service/social services bill. That is pretty much the great hope for contemporary politics as it stands, and that is a fucking huge indictment of where we have got to.

Aside from the obvious that the rest of the UK is a shower of utter scumbags, the most disappointing thing for me of the night was that snaky wee c**t Douglas Ross hanging onto his seat by the skin of his teeth.

Edited by Rugster

7 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Yes, but the chances are there will also be a glut of old people dying at some point which will flood the markets with property and shares and drive prices down, while taking numbers off the state pension/health service/social services bill. That is pretty much the great hope for contemporary politics as it stands, and that is a fucking huge indictment of where we have got to.

When you look at the number of adults still living with their parents and people paying high rents for shit properties it's clear there is a massive supply issue.

I don't see prices falling unless there is a building boom and immigration falls neither of which are realistic. What is more likely to happen is that low growth will push even more money into landlordism.

41 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'm not comfortable with the yes side going down this route in terms of tactics.

Scotland is for anyone who wants to live here, and always should be.

Let's not get all little scotlander.

Consider transient personnel.

The tories won in Moray by 500 votes, given that Moray has a very large Army base in Kinloss and another large RAF base in Lossiemouth it is more than possible that the military in both, as always, voted tory. There are around 1500 personnel + spouses at both camps and even though the majority does not belong to the area as Military personnel they can register to vote where they are stationed.

Interesting to see how quickly voters will a) turn on Boris if things start going wrong or b) how quickly he'll abandon the helm like a former girlfriend

Edited by Comrie

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

When you look at the number of adults still living with their parents and people paying high rents for shit properties it's clear there is a massive supply issue.

I don't see prices falling unless there is a building boom and immigration falls neither of which are realistic. What is more likely to happen is that low growth will push even more money into landlordism.

Post Brexit there will definitely be a change in migration patterns. I can see significant changes in the numbers of EU citizens, whether they have settled status or not. Who wants to stay where they aren't welcome? As England moves further to the right it will also put off prospective immigrants, which means fewer coming in. This result could have serious long term implications to the UK economy that no one can predict at this point.

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Aside from the obvious that the rest of the UK is a shower of utter scumbags, the most disappointing thing for me of the night was that snaky wee c**t Douglas Ross hanging onto his seat by the skin of his teeth.

In another 5 years, a significant portion of the demographic that grew up with a map of the British empire on the classroom wall will no longer be with us. Time is not on the Tories' side.