Best city to live and work in Scotland is....

tarapoa

In full agreement. 

Moved to Aberdeen 17 years ago from the largely ignorant Central Belt and have zero intention of moving back.  Pretty good local economy (even now when it's relatively low), comfortable living and quiet beaches/hills etc on your doorstep in a place where it's considerably drier (on average a whole month of dry days more than the west, which I'll happily ditch for a bit of grey). Not too big, yet has everything you need and because there's nothing I've wanted to see that hasn't come to the AECC as well, I've not had to venture into Glasgow at all this year (other than skirt it on the M73 for things that Scotland can't offer).   

Probably not the best if you're a poor student, but if you're living and earning a decent wage then it's ace, which more than average evidently are.  There's also almost certainly a section of the earning population that would be on the dole and still crying into their Buckfast bottle over the scrapping of Jeremy Kyle elsewhere in the country.

Eta: because it's a thread about best city to live and work:

394696015_Minkmap.JPG.e7b613cee1adb94a6901543bb8d65c10.JPG

Also, it's sunny with blue skies just now and the granite away from Union St is indeed sparkling.  Get Union Street cleaned and we're sorted.

Edited by Hedgecutter

I've met a fair few people who whine about how sh*te Scotland is, only to move away somewhere (usually London) and then come grovelling back when they realise that the grass isn't o greener on the other side.   Young Aberdonians seem to be generally like this with Edinburgh and Glasgow.

I've met a fair few people who whine about how sh*te Scotland is,

It’s never my style tbh, I had just had a rough few days with the cold, wet and the dark and spending too much time in West Lothian and it all got on top of me.

Aberdeen is shite. Cold, dreadful building and full of c***s. I'm biased but Dundee is ace.

Dundee wasn’t deemed significant enough to be included in this study, but truth be told I’d rate all four major cities in Scotland high compared to many places in rUK.

Aberdeen would be shite if you were a young single guy. Its pretty good if you have young kids. The city is not really that big so you can get about easy enough. There are some good restaurants. Plenty stuff for the kids to do.

That being said, aberdonians are miserable as f**k

I enjoy aspects of all our major cities. I also enjoy wee simple pleasures in Scottish life like the walk from the Largs yacht haven to Nardini’s in the town, and back. Parking at the Links Clubhouse in St Andrews, walking around the town, and just standing at the back of the Old Course 18th green looking down the 18th & 1st fairways. Going up to the Wallace monument. Walking around Paisley and going into the Abbey, the marvellous architecture that the town has - yeah, there’s the pound shops, but what town hasn’t? The Fife coastal villages.... could go on, and on....

in short, look at the size of our country. It’s tiny, but it’s feckin’ brilliant.

I enjoy aspects of all our major cities. I also enjoy wee simple pleasures in Scottish life like the walk from the Largs yacht haven to Nardini’s in the town, and back. Parking at the Links Clubhouse in St Andrews, walking around the town, and just standing at the back of the Old Course 18th green looking down the 18th & 1st fairways. Going up to the Wallace monument. Walking around Paisley and going into the Abbey, the marvellous architecture that the town has - yeah, there’s the pound shops, but what town hasn’t? The Fife coastal villages.... could go on, and on....
in short, look at the size of our country. It’s tiny, but it’s feckin’ brilliant.
.BScyFmjIAAA1aqq.jpeg

I used to work a lot in Aberdeen, stayed mostly the same hotel every week, often drank in the bar with some other lads working up there. On one occasion I went for a pint on my own after arriving, same bar, same miserable bar maid who'd served me countless times. She decides to ID me, I'd forgotten my ID (idiot that I am) and despite me recalling exact events in the bar from previous weeks and being nearly 30 it wasn't happening... Along the lines of "maybe you were underage the whole time" 

Thought f**k this I'll go to Asda get a few cans and watch the football in my room. At the self service buying a 4 pack & some crisps and some wee dick younger than me asks for ID. Fucking great. 

Been out for many nights out in Aberdeen and all of them were just a bit meh. Always felt like the city lacked something, a real draw or reason to go there other than the lure of oil and gas money.

The cities of Glasgow and Edinburgh both have their own flaws. The downside for Edinburgh largely the cost of property and shite takeaways. The downside of Glasgow, the abundance of pish stained jakeys and fake beggars. But still comfortably the best cities to live and work in, in Scotland.

Edited by thistledo

Got to find it entertaining when the 'live & work' findings of one the world's Big Four business auditors is challenged based on the experiences of a few clubs, repeated visits to the same hotel bar (spent chatting with other visitors) and a trip to ASDA. 

Got to find it entertaining when the 'live & work' findings of one the world's Big Four business auditors is challenged based on the experiences of a few clubs, repeated visits to the same hotel bar (spent chatting with other visitors) and a trip to ASDA. 

To be fair, i have lived in edinburgh and aberdeen and edinburgh blows aberdeen out the water for living. So much more going on plus easier to fly abroad!

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Ragin'

26 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Ragin'

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, thistledo said:

On one occasion I went for a pint on my own after arriving, same bar, same miserable bar maid who'd served me countless times. She decides to ID me, I'd forgotten my ID (idiot that I am) and despite me recalling exact events in the bar from previous weeks and being nearly 30 it wasn't happening... Along the lines of "maybe you were underage the whole time" 

Thought f**k this I'll go to Asda get a few cans and watch the football in my room. At the self service buying a 4 pack & some crisps and some wee dick younger than me asks for ID. Fucking great. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Hedgecutter