Maths homework

6 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Getting family involved in learning is important and useful. 

My sons dyslexic and barely read for 2.5 years but since school move and the way they’ve set it up he’s started again. So to encourage him I’m now reading my own book each night ( I’m not a big reader). He read for 50min tonight. My hope is his reading age in time will catch up a wee bit but more his confidence. Figure if both reading together it might help. He knows I’m dyslexic too.

21 minutes ago, RH33 said:

My sons dyslexic and barely read for 2.5 years but since school move and the way they’ve set it up he’s started again. So to encourage him I’m now reading my own book each night ( I’m not a big reader). He read for 50min tonight. My hope is his reading age in time will catch up a wee bit but more his confidence. Figure if both reading together it might help. He knows I’m dyslexic too.

Reading is massively important in young people’s development. I can’t stress that enough. Check out the Moby Illustrated Classics. They’re classic novels cut down for kids to be able to handle. Got me into Dickens, Poe, Doyle and a whole host of amazing novels.

While getting pelters, I'll ask for another offence to be taken into consideration. If I can't get to sleep, I check the 4-digit time on my alarm clock, then race the clock: find the prime factors of the time faster than the clock clicks through the minutes. The upside is that it works reasonably well as a sleep-inducer; the downside is that - as with so many things - you improve with practice; so the numbers become  bit easier, night-on-night, and the effect on getting to sleep becomes weaker. But it's always satisfying to find that a number that was "looking prime" has a factor of 19.

I've no doubt this is all true. [emoji5]

37 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You don't need pointless homework for that. Teach them something useful.

He didn’t specifically say this kind of learning. Good parenting should involve a lot of learning by osmosis.

Why would anybody need to do these sort of calculations in real life?

I’m not an educator but I do think it’s important for expanding the mind.

The brain is a muscle (No it’s not, it’s an organ!! Shut up at the back ya wee pie!!) that needs exercise.

The more you work it, the better it gets. Narrow it to a comfort zone and it withers. Then the comfort zone retracts. And repeat...

Why would anybody need to do these sort of calculations in real life?
Why wouldn't you just count the roses or have them in dozens?
I did quite a bit of maths at college and with a year break a maths tutor asked me seriously why I didnt remember calculus from over a year before?
Whit.
I learn it parrot fashion then forget but can pick it up again quicker the next time.
If it's not applied maths then it's just numberwang to me. My mind just says nope just count the roses this is pointless.