Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The measures announced for Lombardy and Veneto have been extended to the whole of Italy - a ban on gatherings, sports events and restrictions on movement.

Edited by ICTChris

Probably the sheer volume of undetected cases.  They can't test the amount of people who have it as dont have the resources so the death rate looks higher as a percentage.

Yes considering a good number of people don’t have any symptoms at all and a lot of symptoms are mild then it’s quite reassuring despite 400 people being dead in Italy.

Pure speculation on my part but does Italy have a much older population than China? Could explain it.
It's a strange one. They were discussing it on Jeremy Vine at lunchtime and one suggestion was that it seems to hit smokers hard. Over 50% of the male population in China smoke, although it is much lower in females (About 3%). About 25% of the population in Italy smoke, while the UK is now down to about 14%.

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Universities in Scotland apparently suspending clinical placements for med students, which also means no new doctors in August because the final examine involves clinical skills and they havent been signed off. Government is either grossly over egging this or isnt telling the public everything.

Yes, the overarching and nagging question for me is, would ruthless regimes cripple or destroy their economies for a "few cases of the flu" ??

I think not and that worries me.

37 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, the overarching and nagging question for me is, would ruthless regimes cripple or destroy their economies for a "few cases of the flu" ??

I think not and that worries me.

Trump won't give a f**k about the weak in his society snuffing it. America will work on economy protection first. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Is there any answer as to why the death rate in Italy is higher than the global rate?

Think Iran has a higher death rate there was some images leaked onto internet the other day and hospitals overflowing with bodies

41 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51807781

The Government wants even mildly sick people to stay at home to stop the spread.

Not right now though. Give it 10-14 days to let the virus spread around a bit more.

Cool. They gonna pay folks' wages?

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Is there any answer as to why the death rate in Italy is higher than the global rate?

One person under 60 died. All old biddies an reason?