Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, TheScarf said:

English people think they're the best at literally everything. 

They're certainly going to be up there after this debacle. 

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Just watching clips from Boris, Hancock and Nicola....

Is blowing your own trumpet some kind of an English characteristic?

From what I saw of Nicola she did appear to demonstrating more of a sense of humility with her announcements.

It's called Triumphalism.

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Does it? They’re going from precisely the same medical advice. As far as I can tell, it would be only having London that would make any difference in policy.

Nicola is no longer in COBRA, so not sure we are charting the same course. 

3 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:

From wikipedia ( yeah, I know, bite me)

Although procedures vary from one field of inquiry to another, they are frequently the same from one to another. The process of the scientific method involves making conjectures (hypotheses), deriving predictions from them as logical consequences, and then carrying out experiments or empirical observations based on those predictions.[5][6] A hypothesis is a conjecture, based on knowledge obtained while seeking answers to the question. The hypothesis might be very specific, or it might be broad. Scientists then test hypotheses by conducting experiments or studies. A scientific hypothesis must be falsifiable, implying that it is possible to identify a possible outcome of an experiment or observation that conflicts with predictions deduced from the hypothesis; otherwise, the hypothesis cannot be meaningfully tested.[7]

Make conjecture
Derive PREDICTIONS from the conjecture
Test predictions.

That's the key.  No reproducibility means that predictions have to be treated with caution.

I'm not saying ignore the scientists but we have to acknowledge that they got it dramatically wrong with bird flu, swine flu, SARS and BSE.  They were also wildly wrong in the 1970s when they predicted a mini ice age.  

So politicians should listen to what they say and also be a bit sceptical because their track record is shite.

6 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

So politicians should listen to what they say and also be a bit sceptical because their track record is shite.

In 1690 you would have been burnt for suggesting the Earth went around the Sun. 

Spoiler

Maybe not historically accurate but I have a right to my own opinion sheeple!

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Reveal hidden contents

That is crap, Welshy, even by your low standards...

BTW I am not knocking science per se.  I am knocking blind faith in scientific predictions and I have right on my side - as usual.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Hide contents

According to hit video game Assassin's Creed: Odyssey apparently you're out by about 2000 years.

20 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Yes. This is the elite medical expertise that is being utilised. It’s not just a bunch of Tory MPs winging things.

If that were the case then the pubs etc. would have been shut from February 11 and schools from February 26, which is what the government’s own ‘scientific pandemic influenza groups’ suggested. The government didn’t bother following up that advice for weeks and so here we are.

So the strategy here has in fact been that of a government winging things from start to finish. Just because it wheels out a rotating cast of stooges to sell the same party line to the general public (as opposed to contradicting each other and destroying all trust immediately) does not mean that its decisions have been guided by credible science.

Edited by vikingTON

6 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

That is crap, Welshy, even by your low standards...

BTW I am not knocking science per se.  I am knocking blind faith in scientific predictions and I have right on my side - as usual.

So whose advice do you think they should take, your new friend @Jeremiah Cole 's sources in the anti vaccination community? Or just not bother and do nothing and leave it in God's hands?

46 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Deaths expected to reach 10,000 in Britain by next week.

Western countries are pretty much on the same curve.

Sweden gaining ground after a poor start.

The US to storm into the lead as the month progresses.

Edited by cyderspaceman

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

If that were the case then the pubs etc. would have been shut from February 11 and schools from February 26, which is what the government’s own ‘scientific pandemic influenza groups’ suggested. The government didn’t bother following up that advice for weeks and so here we are.

So the strategy here has in fact been that of a government winging things from start to finish. Just because it wheels out a rotating cast of stooges to sell the same party line to the general public (as opposed to contradicting each other and destroying all trust immediately) does not mean that its decisions have been guided by credible science.

The problem was Cummings believing his mates in the superforecaster community and some oddball behavioural scientists until the grownups took a belated grip.

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

So whose advice do you think they should take, your new friend @Jeremiah Cole 's sources in the anti vaccination community? Or just not bother and do nothing and leave it in God's hands?

He’ll be listening intently at 8pm on Sunday 💙❤️