Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Remember all those roasters a week or so ago saying the UK wasn't on the Italy curve and saying we were "a South Korea"? 

I believe RandomGuy was one of those just after his HIV infused built in a lab phase.

You said we were following Italy exactly.

I said at no point were we plotting exactly the same as Italy on these graphs.

You're having a really bizarre breakdown in this thread, and it's been a long time coming.

You said we were following Italy exactly.
I said at no point were we plotting exactly the same as Italy on these graphs.
You're having a really bizarre breakdown in this thread, and it's been a long time coming.
That's some poor use of bandwidth by Marshy in the quoted post. I know he is keen on analysing bandwidth use, and that is particularly wasteful IMO.

5 minutes ago, Hymlick Manouvre said:

Ah communism, it's lovely isn't it. Post just sticks of jealousy TBH

Absolutely correct, the only two ways of organising society are uber capitalist (low tax on capital high tax on labour with regressive income and sales taxes + ip monopolies + very  limited social security) or communism. 

1 hour ago, HooseLee said:

She blocked me about 18 months ago for calling her a hypocrite.   She's pals with that boot Karen koren who ripped Edinburgh off for £200.000 and kept asking her about it in various ways...  o miss taking the piss out of her.  Is she still posting pics of menus from restaurants that she is going in the hope of getting a scran for free.   I wonder how many twats have bought those trump is a c**t postcards that's shes trying to get rich from.  What is getting roasted for?  Please start my day with some excellent news.  She cost me my Twitter account.   No point in having one of I can't take the piss out of her and her 'very funny' daughter.   Mon mate  details of her roasting...

I'm breathless just reading that. 

So the upshot in all of this is, either you'll die in the near future from it. Or if you survive you'll most probably be unemployed and lose your house.
Can't see football, gigs, pubs, restaurants on the go until a vaccine arrives, which is probably a couple of years away.
Tough times.

The country and economy will be forced into relative normality long before any vaccine comes our way IMO. At some point we’ll value our wealth, homes and way of life before the deaths the virus brings and, even, the possibility of overwhelming the NHS. Subject to safe-distancing I predict some of us will be back working in June, schools back after the summer holidays (at the latest), all shops open by July. Pubs might be one of the last businesses to reopen.

1 hour ago, HooseLee said:

She blocked me about 18 months ago for calling her a hypocrite.   She's pals with that boot Karen koren who ripped Edinburgh off for £200.000 and kept asking her about it in various ways...  o miss taking the piss out of her.  Is she still posting pics of menus from restaurants that she is going in the hope of getting a scran for free.   I wonder how many twats have bought those trump is a c**t postcards that's shes trying to get rich from.  What is getting roasted for?  Please start my day with some excellent news.  She cost me my Twitter account.   No point in having one of I can't take the piss out of her and her 'very funny' daughter.   Mon mate  details of her roasting...

She is awful but fucking hell 

3 hours ago, JTS98 said:

We're hearing a lot just now about concerns over what will happen in India as their health infrastructure is in no way suited to coping with this. Yet there are plenty of Indians with Craig Whyte-style off-the-radar wealth. That imbalance and resultant lack of investment in healthcare for a country of a billion people is going to cost lots of lives. Actual people's lives.

The thing that people don't get about India is the huge population. People say why the f**k are we funding charity projects in a 2.5 trillion dollar economy with loads of billionaires. If the money were shared equally it would still only equate to a GDP per capita of $5 a day.

25 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't understand when people say that. It makes a smaller number of sick people seem more important than a larger number of sick people.

How does it make them seem more important? Even if you publish the per capita rate for San Marino, no one's going to think it's more important than what's happening in the USA. I'd say giving both figures is best.

Edited by bendan

19 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't understand when people say that. It makes a smaller number of sick people seem more important than a larger number of sick people.

As always, it depends on what the purpose of the stats is.  If it's to identify magnitude then a per capita number is useful. 

20 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Fair point.  I suppose it gives an idea of how well a country's approach is working. 

Also, it's not perfect (Germany has 3 times the UK's ICU capacity) but a per capita ratio gives an idea of how likely the country's ICUs are likely to cope.

5 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

It could be wrong but it makes grim reading.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom

These figures are fantasy land stuff.

What good comes from publishing fear mongering stats like these? The authors are never taken to task for the panic they cause when they get nowhere near. It leads to hysterical comments like 'no football until a vaccine' and 'no holidays for years.'

It looks likely that we will end this thing with similar numbers of deaths as France, Italy and Spain. That's obviously not great but it's insane to say we will be worse off than all three combined come mid May (they say August, but all their graphs level out by mid may).

Look at the state of the margin of error on the UK graph - peak deaths are projected to be anywhere between ~950 (likely) and 9k per day (not a chance). If your margin of error is that big less than 2 weeks away from the projected peak, maybe you shouldn't publish your guesswork.

There are people out there who will blindly believe stats like these and will genuinely live in absolute fear when they read them. That's irresponsible and absolutely not ok.

Edited by Todd_is_God