Coronavirus (COVID-19)

13 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

Oh dear, how sad.

BBC News - Gyms face legal action over rent
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52274496

"What's that? You want to cancel your lease? Well it clearly states in the contract that you have to give us 12 months notice, so tough luck."

There are 35 people employed by every gym? Seems a lot.

14 hours ago, VladimirMooc said:

Let me get this straight. You agree with Sturgeon’s decision to go along with the UK Gov’s approach, but now want her to change that approach because the UK Gov approach is the wrong one, but are also criticising Neil Findlay for having the same view point as you? 

It’s rabid folk like you - who see grievance in every nook and cranny but can find no fault with the Scottish Government - who will prevent independence from happening, just FYI. Not everything in the world is about Scottish independence FFS. 

Can you only half-read what I wrote? Or are you determined to put words in my mouth?

No, I don't agree with ScotGov and Leitch on this and haven't done. That said (take note of this part), I can understand their reasoning.

The UK approach has been a shambles from day one - I take that as when we knew this had hit Europe. We had two months headstart and did SFA. Boris shaking hands in a hosptial with Covid patients.

Is that straight enough for you?

18 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

A guy was just talking on BBC Radio Scotland about the situation in Sweden where there no lockdown.

He said they're accepting that the virus is something that most people (80/90%) will get at some point - it's about making sure the health service can cope.

Anyone else hear that? Did I hear him right?

Sweden have never hidden this fact, there attitude is, we're better just getting it all out of the way in one shot rather than closing and opening country up repeatedly, hopefully their approach is proven to be correct. 

Macron said France would start returning to normal life on 11 May, if citizens were “civic, responsible and respected the rules” – and if the number of cases of coronavirus continued to drop.

At least I've got a date to look forward to.  Mibbes.    

I have a visit to Scotland overdue.   🇫🇷 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿    Get your act together UK  .

1 minute ago, cyderspaceman said:

I reckon we will see a partial lifting of restrictions on the same date.  My predictions of these things are usually pretty accurate.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

I reckon we will see a partial lifting of restrictions on the same date.  My predictions of these things are usually pretty accurate.

Are you basing your prediction on what happened in 1919?

10 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

We've got enough to deal with without your frog transmitted viruses adding to the mix.

Regarding Sweden, if they get a huge spike of cases then it’ll seem like a catastrophic policy but if their cases then subsided it would work out better in the longer run. Perhaps when this is all looked back at in a few years their approach worked better.

The difficulty is what a huge spike actually means - an overwhelmed health service means people dying of starvation, dehydration, choking to death without medical help. If that happens to thousands of people, is if acceptable? I read an article rebutting the thread on Twitter by Toby Young about the balance between economic costs and deaths and it put it very well

in a scenario where hundreds of thousands of people were dying, the NHS would become overwhelmed and the average age of the people dying would likely fall, so the number of life-years lost is probably an underestimate, and possibly an enormous one if the average age of death fell as the NHS had to prioritise younger patients. And the misery involved would be appalling. It would mean people dying in their beds alone at home, some of dehydration and starvation alongside their pneumonia, with no palliative care of any kind.

Maybe Sweden can find the balance by shielding and cocooning vulnerable people.

43 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

That's from ages ago isnt it? Or have they had a second run-in?

41 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yeah, remember seeing it live, from last year sometime.

I'm sure I've seen it before. Tbf to the tweeter it does start with Classic and is written in past tense...

4 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

You do know that's Private Eye, yes?

In fairness, one of the hardest careers to work in these days must be satire.

I accidentally threw out the latest copy with only a third of it read.