Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 hours ago, Netan Sansara said:

This thread reminded me of Deepti Gurdasani who was a big name. Let’s see what she’s up to…oh kicking about in a £800 face mask to avoid covid. 

Lucky her, I've been asked to take my specs off at security.

I think having an inquiry into the management of the pandemic is a worthwhile exercise. It was probably the biggest event in terms of the immediate impact of government decisions since the Second World War.  It’s surely worth investigating what happened rather than just hand waving it away.

One impact that this has immediately is it changes politics. Boris Johnson could have said “we made mistakes but it was an impossible situation, we did the best with what we had” and brazened it out but from the inquiry we know how incompetent they were, how they didn’t understand the advice they were getting and how they couldn’t run a proper co-ordinated government. We now also know that Nicola Sturgeon lied bare facedly during at least one of her addresses to the nation when asked about her messages being given to an inquiry. I think it makes it far less likely that the SNP will go into the next election running on their Covid record. 

These things help the voters hold politicians to account, a lot more than “they’re all the same cynicism” will. Presumably the people who think we should all just forget and move on think the same about Lady Mone and her involvement?

38 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Newsflash : they are all the same. Self centered, egotistical, lying, two faced rats.

It's the fore thought that went on, even by the people we'd perceived as goodies.  I talk more shite than most, but it wouldn't occur to me to destroy the evidence of that.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

20 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's the core thought that went on, even by the people we'd perceived as goodies.  I talk more shite than most, but it wouldn't occur to me to destroy the evidence of that.

People quote it and point out it’s shite so you couldn’t unilaterally destroy the evidence 😉

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

People quote it and point out it’s shite so you couldn’t unilaterally destroy the evidence 😉

Same with what's app, it'll be on the recipient device. My point is really the same @Derry Alli, even if the purpose of the enquiry wasn't to expose them, it has had that impact.

I know it's a "yer da" opinion, it does seem to be truer now than in the past.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Same with what's app, it'll be on the recipient device. My point is really the same @Derry Alli, even if the purpose of the enquiry wasn't to expose them, it has had that impact.

I know it's a "yer da" opinion, it does seem to be truer now than in the past.

as I've said before, what do you think your wife would say if she discovered you had deleted loads of messages from your phone? would it be business as usual..

Not inquiry related but I was pondering this in the shower this morning: now that testing isn’t widespread, there’s a strong chance that I’ll have “had” COVID (once) fewer times in my life than I had chicken pox in the year 1999

On 20/01/2024 at 07:53, Leith Green said:

Without being disrespectful to anyone who lost a loved one................and I know some of this is a statutory requirement, but it all feels a bit drawn out and unnecessary (not just up here, but in England as well)?

• The relatives are going to learn nothing new as all the politicians have covered their arses
  • Again, without being unkind, a lot of people in care homes may have died of something else like flu
  • Nobody will go to jail as a result of their ineptitude

The only people who will make money are - as usual - the legal profession. I did some work in the (big) house of a KC, and she was on this inquiry (via zoom or teams) full time, doubtless on a rate no less than £500 a day.

All that is going to happen is that we learn our leaders made mistakes, say that they would have done it differently, and promise not to do it again - all at a cost of hundreds of millions to taxpayers.

Did I mention I think its a waste of time?

I think you can replace your quoted  rate with hour rather than day.

Screenshot_2024-01-21-22-53-01-105_com.chrome_beta.thumb.jpg.f8ccf01dab9cc4e2c105ff4aa462294a.jpg

8 hours ago, strichener said:

Screenshot_2024-01-21-22-53-01-105_com.chrome_beta.thumb.jpg.f8ccf01dab9cc4e2c105ff4aa462294a.jpg

Fucking hell, I might have to reassess my charges next time I visit her....................

On 30/11/2021 at 07:44, HibsFan said:

I know it's hard but I genuinely can't help but feel that the best way out of this, for us everyday folk on the ground at least, is to play ignorant.

Not "I refuse to comply", that's antagonising and gets you lumped in with antivax weirdos etc.

Nor "yes I'll do anything you tell me to help us micromanage our way out of a pandemic which clearly isn't going anywhere no matter what restrictions are put in place".

Just a simple ignorance about what the current 'restrictions' are will help a lot.

Carry a mask, wear it only if you are backed into a corner and made to, otherwise, play dumb.

This time last year, I spent hours on this thread working myself up, shadowboxing against the blue hearts on Twitter, the whole nine yards.

When (and I've been lucky to have been in England this year I admit) March came and the roadmap started, I haven't looked back.

I don't wear masks in all but the rarest of situations e.g. a packed train. I collected both of my vaccinations. I went abroad and paid for a shitey LFT to be let back in. I don't go on the internet and look for pro-lockdown c***s who will wind me up anymore. Play the game as little as you physically can get away with doing so and don't give them an inch more.

There is a big argument to be made for saying that the real battle with COVID now is less the physical virus itself, and more the mentality it has instilled in society. Grassing, curtain-twitching, viewing everyone around you as if they are untrustworthy and riddled with disease.

Positive mentality needed, keep the head and look after your mates, family etc. - we can get through this together by removing ourselves from the unstoppable culture war that has become COVID restrictions, IMO.

Turns out me and Leitch were on the same page this whole time. :lol:

Some effort from him to convince the pearl-clutchers that he was taking Covid very seriously, mind you.

On 21/01/2024 at 22:54, strichener said:

Was looking up the KC that's asking the questions just now and came across this.

https://ampersandadvocates.com/2022/05/04/jamie-dawson-qc-one-of-eleven-qcs-appointed-to-uk-covid-19-inquiry-legal-team/

That's 12 KC's and a solicitor minimum.  Assuming the solicitor is broadly the same cost as a KC that's £4.5k to £6.5k per hour so close to £40k per day.

Conservatively 6 hours a day and 220 days a year that's easily £8m worth of kerching just in the fees for them.

According to the taxpayers alliance this is actually costing about £110k per day.

https://assets.nationbuilder.com/taxpayersalliance/pages/17952/attachments/original/1702199063/Cost_of_Covid_Inquiry.pdf?1702199063