Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On 05/02/2024 at 09:37, ICTChris said:

Article (paywalled) about people who report missing lockdown. Basically some people enjoyed not having to commute and being able to spend time on their hobbies and with their family.

"An inclusion mentor".  😒

11 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

They used to be called teachers.

I always thought they were there to teach kids and manage classrooms? Well I guess we should just make that completely their responsibility, I'm sure bullying in schools isn't a big enough issue that we should be investing in a single FTE in some schools

Edited by GHF-23

2 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

I always thought they were there to teach kids and manage classrooms? Well I guess we should just make that completely their responsibility, I'm sure bullying in schools isn't a big enough issue that we should be investing in a single FTE in some schools

You obviously don't know the education sector so I won't let that get in the way of your virtue signalling.

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

You obviously don't know the education sector so I won't let that get in the way of your virtue signalling.

Lol yes it is virtue signalling to say having a person in a school who is there to promote inclusivity is not something you think should produce an eye rolling reaction. 

As an aside are you not the guy who gets upset about the inauthenticity of people using cream in carbonara?

2 hours ago, GHF-23 said:

Lol yes it is virtue signalling to say having a person in a school who is there to promote inclusivity is not something you think should produce an eye rolling reaction. 

As an aside are you not the guy who gets upset about the inauthenticity of people using cream in carbonara?

Yes and don't you forget it!

4 hours ago, GHF-23 said:

Yes, imagine a school employing someone to help make a place that children occupy inclusive. Absolutely crazy stuff 

What does the job role involve on a daily basis, and in what bizarre alternative universe should individual schools even be tasked with developing their own inclusivity policies? 

Posted (edited)

Here is a job description for inclusion mentor in Nottinghamshire, where the quoted person lives.

https://nottinghamshire.tal.net/vx/mobile-0/appcentre-ext/brand-3/candidate/so/pm/4/pl/1/opp/21101-Inclusion-Mentor/en-GB#:~:text=The role of the Inclusion,create opportunities for the future.

From reading other job adverts it's about stopping pupils from being excluded, working with children who have behavioural difficulties, as opposed to inclusion in the sense of "the wokes having special classes for Somali crack babies" type of thing.

Appalling salaries for these jobs, which must be very hard work.  One advert has the following responsibilities

image.png.153ff983872b879284730da72289b65b.png

Salary is £16,586 - who the hell wants to do that job for that pay?

Edited by ICTChris

Getting it back relatively on topic, I bet there’s been an increase in the demand for these jobs post-Covid due to the widely reported increase in poor behaviour, mental health problems and pupil absence. Emma in Nottingham will have her work cut out.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

From reading other job adverts it's about stopping pupils from being excluded

Pupils could simply stop being dicks rather than taking thinly stretched resources away from other pupils on top of their learning already being disrupted by wasters who won’t behave.

14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Pupils could simply stop being dicks rather than taking thinly stretched resources away from other pupils on top of their learning already being disrupted by wasters who won’t behave.

when you were a teenager did you really think like that or was it more " lets do some dick move  here it will be funny as f**k"  be honest, i know what I was like

Back on to the point, if you could be confident your job would be unaffected by restrictions then you could treat lockdown like a holiday, but if your job, business or livelihood more generally was in jeopardy as well as your kids education/ opportunities, your mental health etc. then it was a fucking shite  time all round 

4 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

when you were a teenager did you really think like that or was it more " lets do some dick move  here it will be funny as f**k"  be honest, i know what I was like

Actually I behaved myself when I was younger. Not least because the shoeing I'd have gotten had I been papped out of school for being a dick wasn't something I was dying to tick off my bucket list.

However, let's both be serious here... we're not talking about pupils who are a "bit of a lad" now and then. We're talking about those who aren't arsed at all about school and are routinely disruptive, to the detriment of everyone else.

Edited by Todd_is_God

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Here is a job description for inclusion mentor in Nottinghamshire, where the quoted person lives.

https://nottinghamshire.tal.net/vx/mobile-0/appcentre-ext/brand-3/candidate/so/pm/4/pl/1/opp/21101-Inclusion-Mentor/en-GB#:~:text=The role of the Inclusion,create opportunities for the future.

From reading other job adverts it's about stopping pupils from being excluded, working with children who have behavioural difficulties, as opposed to inclusion in the sense of "the wokes having special classes for Somali crack babies" type of thing.

Appalling salaries for these jobs, which must be very hard work.  One advert has the following responsibilities

The salary is listed as £22-£25k for the academic year. £25k for 40 weeks work is equivalent to 93% of the UK average salary over the same period.

Hardly appalling.

Edited by Todd_is_God

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Generally, certainly where I was working, modern job descriptions read as though they need a near-genius to do the job. They are often a pile of shite IMO.

I occasionally dip into Zero Covid Twitter still. There’s one account, claming to be an anonymous neurosurgeon who repeatedly posts that Covid causes dementia and that there is widespread brain damage in the population. Evidence given includes  the Boeing safety crisis, the wars in Ukraine and Gaza, higher levels of “sociopathy in society” (usually defined as people not following the same Covid restrictions now as in April 2020).

The thing that I found interesting is that the person usually comes out with this tweet, or variations of it

This is extremely similar to what mad anti-vaxxers say - “you’ll be sorry! When you all start dying suddenly, getting myocarditis etc you’ll all come crawling back to us!”. I believe Joe Rogan made comments like this on a recent podcast. I think among neurotic, obsessive people the feeling that you are in a redemptive arc and are the hero is very common.

24 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I occasionally dip into Zero Covid Twitter still. There’s one account, claming to be an anonymous neurosurgeon who repeatedly posts that Covid causes dementia and that there is widespread brain damage in the population. Evidence given includes  the Boeing safety crisis, the wars in Ukraine and Gaza, higher levels of “sociopathy in society” (usually defined as people not following the same Covid restrictions now as in April 2020).

The thing that I found interesting is that the person usually comes out with this tweet, or variations of it

This is extremely similar to what mad anti-vaxxers say - “you’ll be sorry! When you all start dying suddenly, getting myocarditis etc you’ll all come crawling back to us!”. I believe Joe Rogan made comments like this on a recent podcast. I think among neurotic, obsessive people the feeling that you are in a redemptive arc and are the hero is very common.

Good exchange here. I'm beginning to be of the Dead Internet theory that I am the only real person online and everything else is a bot.

It's going to be a battle between people claiming that Covid caused every increase in certain illnesses in the coming years, and those claiming it was the Covid vaccines. So far the evidence seems to favour the former where there might be a real causal link.

Edited by welshbairn