Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 hours ago, 101 said:

I'm pretty sure it would have been illegal not to carry out an impact assessment so she is surely highlighting law breaches in this case?

No impact assessment was carried out for any of the parade of nonsense restrictions that were imposed by law. There is no need for an impact assessment to switch back to normality either. 

If she wanted to flag breaches of the law then her role as lead karaoke organiser in Downing Street seems a more viable option.

On 01/11/2023 at 20:44, virginton said:

What is 'justice' exactly in this case? The 'do as we say, not as we do' behaviour of political leadership was completely risible; but there was still a novel virus knocking off folk. There was no causal relationship between the two, so the 'Covid families for justice' are yelling at a cloud. 

Indeed. 

17 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I hope they don’t read all my WhatsApp messages calling posters on the thread fuckpigs and c***s.

You don't delete them? 🤔

The outrage produced by the inquiry is already reaching demented levels of its own:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/03/women-uk-covid-response

At the most basic level, a lack of representation at the table excludes gender-related insights and expertise. MacNamara highlighted specific issues that were overlooked...

She said the WhatsApp group for her children’s school – typically the domain of mothers – provided a barometer of public sentiment from which leadership appeared disconnected.

Aye because that's exactly what we need to manage a future pandemic virus. Policy being set by a bunch of full-time maws on a fucking school WhatsApp group. 

A reliable barometer of public sentiment indeed. 🤡 

No wonder Cummings filed this fruit loop's views in the bin where they belong. 

Edited by vikingTON

I feared scientific advisers were being used by the government – the Covid inquiry shows they were

Devi Sridhar

I told Chris Whitty at the time that scientists were providing cover for weak leaders taking harmful decisions.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/nov/03/scientific-advisers-covid-inquiry-chris-whitty-scientists

tumblr_inline_ppkeygMAmw1tdj9l1_400.gif.2d7cd52a4c64c5b55b40cf40f8d3ead1.gif

Edited by vikingTON

• 2 weeks later...

Covid inquiry giving a scary and brutal run-through of the numerous examples in notebook extracts where BoJo couldn't understand how graphs, basic stats, or essentially anything scientific worked.

"which line is the dark red one?"

"PM struggled with the whole concept of doubling times... just couldn't get it"

1298077_fathertedcows2_329247.thumb.jpg.b6f5e1a28fc87d79ee0d03c154016a46.jpg

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

OK, We get it , Boris is a moron. I don't think we really needed a public enquiry to tell us that.  Can we actually start looking at the ins n outs of what worked, what didn't work, what was counter productive and what lessons can be learned?

I can't see that happening. You'd surely be asking the very same cohort of people who delivered the data that lead to lockdowns etc to go on record about how they managed to get it so catastrophically wrong.

None of them came out and suggested anything was ineffective at the time, so how can they do the same now with essentially the same data?

Much better just to lampoon BJ for not doing ineffective things earlier than acknowledge they were ineffective fully in the knowledge it's all the public want to hear.

23 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I can't see that happening. You'd surely be asking the very same cohort of people who delivered the data that lead to lockdowns etc to go on record about how they managed to get it so catastrophically wrong.

None of them came out and suggested anything was ineffective at the time, so how can they do the same now with essentially the same data?

Much better just to lampoon BJ for not doing ineffective things earlier than acknowledge they were ineffective fully in the knowledge it's all the public want to hear.

Well aye but they could quite easily come out and say “ with the benefit of hindsight”  blah blah blah and still have their credibility. 

blaming politicians for being ineffective seems an easy way out when they too didnt seem to have much of a plan 

I can’t believe those scientist tasked with creating measures to reduce the harm from covid wouldnt have also had to think about the side effects of them 

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

3 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

OK, We get it , Boris is a moron. I don't think we really needed a public enquiry to tell us that.  Can we actually start looking at the ins n outs of what worked, what didn't work, what was counter productive and what lessons can be learned?

This stage is all about the mechanism of political and Civil Service decision making, I assume and hope that future stages will examine the quality of scientific advice, in retrospect as well as what they had to go an at the time. International comparisons are in the schedule be considered, eg. Sweden, South Korea, Belarus etc. Sadly the political stuff is the only bit that will attract widespread attention.

Edited by welshbairn

6 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

You don't need be a moron to not understand complicated charts and tables.

The issues the UK had with making leaders understand this information aren't  unique to the UK so its too easy to blame Johnson for this. 

15 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

You don't need be a moron to not understand complicated charts and tables.

The issues the UK had with making leaders understand this information aren't  unique to the UK so its too easy to blame Johnson for this. 

Perhaps he did understand them perfectly well but just could not believe what supposed experts were coming out with.

• 3 weeks later...

Around a fifth of the public support bringing back some Covid restrictions.

image.thumb.png.d5c121e3fe381df2487cd54f26326225.png

I'm sure it's just boring oldsters though?

Actually, no the group who support restrictions the most are Millenials.

image.thumb.png.7f6c51b85a62b14cd6fb767976656262.png

Shout out to the  nightclub loving over 75s.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Around a fifth of the public support bringing back some Covid restrictions.

image.thumb.png.d5c121e3fe381df2487cd54f26326225.png

I'm sure it's just boring oldsters though?

Actually, no the group who support restrictions the most are Millenials.

image.thumb.png.7f6c51b85a62b14cd6fb767976656262.png

Shout out to the  nightclub loving over 75s.

I have a colleague who always wears his mask at work. Even when giving lectures. Full-on double masking. We had a big all-staff meeting last Monday and we were in an auditorium, and there he was sat in the middle, masks on. 

He never stopped wearing it. 

He is in his 30s.