Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

Interesting to see you may follow that madman 

I don't follow him and have no idea who he is.  I see he writes for the Daily Express, nice, my favourite newspaper, very good.  

I actually turned on the TV at that exact moment they broadcast that and wished I'd recorded it.  The whole thing was utterly bizarre, the very well spoken people reading this stuff out, the way everyone is reacting very dryly, the lawyer's hands shaking (presumably worried his mum will see it).

Edited by ICTChris

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Jesus Christ lets get away from this petty debate

if I am found to have deleted anything on whatsapp or my phone for that matter, my mrs will boot me in the balls and relegate me to the couch for a week. Because it looks awfy like there's something to hide

I am a nobody who works a regular job. she was at the time the most senior person in scotland and all the work related contacts held senior positions of considerable responsibility and were in the middle of something which they knew would later have been looked back on for a lessons learnt.

if they deleted anything it's because they don't want it to be seen by someone not in the original conversation

End of story

^^^A marriage made in Heaven.

2 hours ago, The DA said:

What about a conversation in the corridor?  A mobile phone call to someone?

They clearly thought WhatsApp was the same in terms of privacy, otherwise they wouldn't have called their bosses fuckpigs, c***s and shopping trolleys. 

1 hour ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Without getting all 'you gotta hand it to him' because he's still obviously an arsehole with shit politics, I found Cummings utter contempt for the political class quite refreshing.

I thought that was always obvious and never understood how Johnson didn't see it. I think he thought Cummings was some kind of towering intelect that spoke truth to power even if Johnson could barely understand him.

21 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I thought that was always obvious and never understood how Johnson didn't see it. I think he thought Cummings was some kind of towering intelect that spoke truth to power even if Johnson could barely understand him.

Johnson appreciated Cummings ripping apart the smarty pants Raj class civil servants who kept telling him what he couldn't do, and letting him do stuff like proroguing parliament so he could go on holiday, and lying his head off to the EU to get a Brexit deal. He only got rid of him when his new wife told him to because Cummings was slagging off her old school chums. 

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Johnson appreciated Cummings ripping apart the smarty pants Raj class civil servants who kept telling him what he couldn't do, and letting him do stuff like proroguing parliament so he could go on holiday, and lying his head off to the EU to get a Brexit deal. He only got rid of him when his new wife told him to because Cummings was slagging off her old school chums. 

I get that. He did what Johnson couldn't work out how to do himself.

I find it a bit strange he's viewed as some kind of maverick,  even by himsef, the civil service is actually full of tossers like him.

11 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I get that. He did what Johnson couldn't work out how to do himself.

I find it a bit strange he's viewed as some kind of maverick,  even by himsef, the civil service is actually full of tossers like him.

The interview today was revealing, he was shown evidence that he was promoting the same faulty group think that he was blaming the numpty civil servants of all the way through 2020. His explanation that he was really playing 3d chess did not convince. 

On 30/10/2023 at 15:39, KingswellsRed said:

Is it just me or does the UK inquiry appear to only be asking “how much earlier and harder should we have locked down” rather than looking properly at everything from a cost/benefit angle? The Scottish one appears much more balanced so far.

For example, today it has become clear masks weren’t initially introduced because there was no scientific evidence for them (and there still isn’t in the real world) but eventually the pressure became too much from unions etc. Yet, still the discussion seems to be around why they weren’t just introduced straight away.

From the snippets i've seen this is how it appears to be being reported.

Rather than coming across as a proper deep dive into what was effective and what was not, and which decisions were correct and which were not, it appears to be going down the route atm of "Boris Johnson wanted old people to die"

This isn't helpful at all for the sake of planning any future pandemic response. Lockdown was an ineffective economic disaster, but by focusing on the "political viability" of making tough decisions based on scientific evidence the danger must surely be that if we have a repeat event, the response will be worse.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Rather than coming across as a proper deep dive into what was effective and what was not, and which decisions were correct and which were not, it appears to be going down the route atm of "Boris Johnson wanted old people to die"

This isn't helpful at all for the sake of planning any future pandemic response. Lockdown was an ineffective economic disaster, but by focusing on the "political viability" of making tough decisions based on scientific evidence the danger must surely be that if we have a repeat event, the response will be worse.

I've got a feeling that Boris is going to be a very convenient scapegoat for the multiple failures of the covid response - TBF he's making it very easy for them.  rather than anyone else having to take blame or admit they called it wrong it's going down the road of boris fucked it up cause he's dunce 

Boris Johnson is a useless arsehole that didn't have a clue what to do and blundered around in a chaotic manner pretty much confirms exactly what we all could see at the time tbh. Policy was made up on the hoof and changed at will.He must wish that his staff had also deleted their WhatsApps. 

It is in some way a shame that most of the people involved in all of this have already chucked it. No-one is missing Johnson or Hancock etc, but it is a shame to deny the electorate the chance to tell them to f**k off.

Wonder which sweary words the broadcasters will be apologising for today?  

25 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Boris Johnson is a useless arsehole that didn't have a clue what to do and blundered around in a chaotic manner pretty much confirms exactly what we all could see at the time tbh. Policy was made up on the hoof and changed at will.He must wish that his staff had also deleted their WhatsApps. 

It is in some way a shame that most of the people involved in all of this have already chucked it. No-one is missing Johnson or Hancock etc, but it is a shame to deny the electorate the chance to tell them to f**k off.

Wonder which sweary words the broadcasters will be apologising for today?  

It further highlights how obsequious the UK press in general is - obvious Tory bs like Bojo's brush with death and Barnard Castle lapped up and regurgitated with obedient servile glee. 

4 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yes, we knew government was chaotic at the time without the entire inquiry being focused on it.

There is still very little on the actual data and instead a lot of people’s opinions about what was the right thing to do.

Edited by KingswellsRed

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I haven't been paying attention to this but is anyone likely to end up in jail at the end of it, or is it just a wee "oh that didn't go well, we'll do better next time" type carry on?

The latter. 

Radio 5 live get folk from the covid families for justice group on every day to talk about how they lost a loved one whilst Boris Johnson was throwing parties. But there is no justice coming their way.