Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Stellaboz said:
1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:
Luckily there’s only 3 folk in my hoose, but I’m watching the bairn closely.

It's always the Falkirk fan.

It’ll be the wife then. Falkirk is pretty much outer Weegland. They’re all the same.

The Times article is behind a paywall, but Owen Jones has put pretty much all of it on Twitter. The most damning quote for me is "We could have been Germany, but instead we were doomed by our own incompetence, our hubris, and our austerity."

2 hours ago, throbber said:

He would have been 18/19 when the war was declared and 25 when it ended, I doubt he would have been a captain at that age.

The country love a war vet, I remember that magic show X on BGT last year came out with one of the most sensational performances ever seen on stage but missed out on winning coz of some old c**t crooning whilst dressed in army uniform. X never stood a chance.

Nah, I mean it's not unlikely he'd have made Captain. There are pretty obvious reasons why the average age of guys in these roles went down over the course of a world war: Expansion and replacement. 

1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

Correct, promotion during war time was quick, always has been irrespective of conflict.  During the Napoleonic wars for example those troops sent to the fever islands were rapidly promoted with as many as 70-80% of soldiers dying due to disease, it wasn't unusual for sergeants to come home as officers.  With so many casualties in both first and second world wars promotion was quick and had to be.  My friends father was demobbed back to civvy street as a Captain at the age of 22 after serving . Even now in peacetime you will be promoted automatically to Captain in about seven years unless you're an absolute mutant.

Yeah, you could easily get a field commission which would be ratified quickly - in WWI there was an instance where either a corporal or sergeant ending up in charge of what remained of a regiment after everybody more senior to him had been killed...there was a culture of leading from the front, with junior officers going over the top armed with a revolver and a wee stick which inevitably meant they were amongst the first to get slaughtered.

Regarding the old boy, I heard from someone who's actually in the army that he maybe shouldn't be using his former rank at all - it's only when you reach Major and above that it's seen as acceptable to use it after you leave...while you can call yourself Col (Retd) or Maj (Retd) or whatever no bother, calling yourself Lt (Retd) or Capt (Retd) is a bit of a no-no.

It's not actually illegal...it's just not the "done thing" apparently.

Here's Full Facts squirming take on the ventilator thing.

No, the UK didn’t turn down 50,000 ventilators offered by the EU

https://fullfact.org/online/50-thousand-ventilators/
I read it and the phrase 'weasel words' sprung to mind.
This so-called fact checking site is shite.

I can't see a problem with that article.

It clearly points out that the number in the fb/twitter story is fucking miles off.

I'm sorry, but that's fake news.

There is a legitimate criticism to be made of the govt fucking up the eu offer but by blowing it way out of proportion we actually weaken our own argument.
Sophy Ridge making Michael Gove look really stupid with quotes from that Sunday Times article.

I just watched him being asked by marr on bbc1 and he handled it very well (i presume he's realised he needed a better response). Although i think marr's style helped him out. I really like Andrew marr but fucking hell it's like watching someone be mauled by a kitten.

Gove made legitimate points in defence to the two article details put to him, and did it passionately. The article has clearly got to them.

I've only read the 3 paragraphs posted on here so far but I'll hopefully read the rest later on.
One in four voters in Scotland is a Tory, truly frightening and stupid stuff.
We often forget that up here. We're nowhere near middle England levels but we're also not as left wing and progressive as we'd like to believe.

Papers full of their "secret" reopening plans. Most seem to report that hairdressers will be in the 1st phase af business allowed to reopen. The same articles include the detail that all reopening businesses will require to continue with current social distancing measures. How the hell will that work unless we can find hairdressers with 6ft long arms !!!

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

Papers full of their "secret" reopening plans. Most seem to report that hairdressers will be in the 1st phase af business allowed to reopen. The same articles include the detail that all reopening businesses will require to continue with current social distancing measures. How the hell will that work unless we can find hairdressers with 6ft long arms !!!

Upside down blenders suspended from the roof?

Just now, Tynierose said:

Full chemical weapons suit.  Would be a surreal experience without all the usual shit chat.

I’d be raging with this tbh.  The chances of a cheeky Accidental boob rub would be nil.

(moot point here anyway as I haven’t needed a trip to get my haircut for a number of years. I actually think the last time it was Lynn the Butchers on Perth Road when the blond bird was there)

Upside down blenders suspended from the roof?
Quite. They clearly put no thought into the shite they are writing. Similarly schools returning next month reported as "children clearly are not badly I'll if infected " but failing to mention they are still able to cross infect anyone they come into contact with, teachers, janitors, school bus drivers, diner ladies the list is endless and in Scotland at least for what...about 5 weeks hardly worth the risk.

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

My sister in law works in one of the more upmarket hairdressers in the city centre - you'd have heard of it - and they were one of the last sectors to close more or less when they were ordered to...apparently even right at the end their appointment book was full, with WAGs and the like getting their hair styled in order to go...well, nowhere.

This should finish Johnson, but the reality is that the Sunday Times article will make a ripple online but won't do much else. Everyone knows what Johnson is like but in reality a large chunk of the country don't care. We're now at the stage where folk view characters over experts, and the vast majority of folk who voted for the tories in December won't have their minds changed.

Only way i could see public opinion changing a bit would be if the Sun went after him, but that's not going to happen. Know the Sunday Times is Murdoch-affiliated but it has much less of an impact and if i mind right he hardly touches it these days anyway. 

Russia's case count has just jumped by 16% this morning.  I suspect this is a catch-up on historic deaths but no one has mentioned that so far.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

For a long while there, they were on zero deaths. Russian state officialdom really is quite a fascinating case study in a mixture of genius and incompetence.

Quite. They clearly put no thought into the shite they are writing. Similarly schools returning next month reported as "children clearly are not badly I'll if infected " but failing to mention they are still able to cross infect anyone they come into contact with, teachers, janitors, school bus drivers, diner ladies the list is endless and in Scotland at least for what...about 5 weeks hardly worth the risk.
Easing restrictions will need to come pretty soon - i reckon either after this current lockdown or after one or two more short extensions.

At that point more people will need somewhere to send their kids but the hubs seem to be doing a good job - so it's easier to expand them rather than reopen schools before the long summer holidays.

So schools will almost certainly be closed until august, but i reckon they might keep the hubs open all summer (which would be a major hurdle for the teaching unions).

The hairdressers will source gloves and masks and they'll be one of the early businesses to reopen. Pubs and large crowd gatherings will be the last.

But the length of time between everything will depend a lot on how the easing goes, both in other countries that have already started, and when we get going.

They'll be looking at the numbers like hawks so we'll need to act like the grown up and mature society we are, staying sensibly apart when possible and washing our fucking hands [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

11 hours ago, marty_j said:

https://archive.is/20200418182037/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh

Link to entire Sunday times article
Damning stuff
But you know... good old Boris, get Brexit done etc

Here was me thinking that 10 years of austerity, underpayment, brexit and badly implemented Universal Credit was the worst they could do.

Never mind, the survivors will probably get a socially distant street party for VC day.