Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

The Times article is behind a paywall, but Owen Jones has put pretty much all of it on Twitter. The most damning quote for me is "We could have been Germany, but instead we were doomed by our own incompetence, our hubris, and our austerity."

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I love how all the centrist fucks are making this a row about breaching the paywall rather than the content of the article. We see you.

Speaking as a centrist f**k, here's the full article.

https://archive.is/20200418182037/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh

Until we have an understanding of how many extra deaths we will cause by opening wee shops that sell phone cases. If that takes another 6 months then so be it. I'm not willing to potentially become a biological weapon to get a haircut till we know the risks.

So you have no concerns over the consequences of the lockdown, either social or economic.

What if it takes until the spring of 2021 to get our testing as rigorous as it needs to be? Is that an acceptable length of time?
Gove is an utter knut. Who knew?

That question was handled very well when marr asked it an hour or so later. They'd obviously worked out a strategy.

It's an easy answer, actually.

The chinese needed it drastically at that point, or would you rather we stood by and did nothing. Couple that with that the fact that they've sent much, much more back in return since then. International cooperation is a good thing. He also added that the stuff they sent them did not come out of our pandemic stockpile.

Marr almost butted in but shat himself, or hadn't picked better attacks from the Sunday Times.
While you have a point about vaccines. There can easily be a proper testing strategy, look at South Korea. We just don't have the means to implement it yet. Also, everyone will be wearing face masks soon, once we have the supply. Only then can we reopen.
But what if that takes 9 months. Are we really saying that a lockdown could go on for that length of time? Or longer?

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

So you have no concerns over the consequences of the lockdown, either social or economic.

What if it takes until the spring of 2021 to get our testing as rigorous as it needs to be? Is that an acceptable length of time?

We can make that decision once we have projections on the impact of reopening wee shops and nurseries.

I'll be honest, "social or economic" impacts are secondary concerns behind the people that I love and care about potentially dying.

So is social distancing just going to stop the minute we ease restrictions....surely it can't and hence how do businesses like hairdressers operate even with protective clothing (that really should all be going to the NHS and care sector). Tough on the hairdressers !!! Let's see the fuckers in the HoC back shoulder to shoulder before they start exposing some of the less well off / more desperate in society to potential death.

A hairdresser could wear a face shield and gloves. Sanitise equipment between uses. 

But is a hairdresser likely to want to take the risk, touching dozens of people a day? I'd doubt it, mine closed a week before they were told to.

We can make that decision once we have projections on the impact of reopening wee shops and nurseries.
I'll be honest, "social or economic" impacts are secondary concerns behind the people that I love and care about potentially dying.
Still avoiding the question in terms of how long we can cope.

A depression the likes of the 1930s is already on the cards. At some stage the government will run out of the credit and we'll not be able to fund wages. Unless you're talking about genuine revolution.

But the rest of the world is going to try and get on as normal and we'd quickly be cut off.

A lockdown like the one we have surely couldn't go on for (ballpark medium length guess). 9-12 months.

I find it laughable that people say the lockdown of schools/pubs/restaurants/sports etc should have been done sooner. What difference would it have made when we’re STILL allowing flights into the UK and not testing or putting passengers in quarantine? A guy in my Aunts street returned from India last week and wasn’t tested or anything. It’s ridiculous. Flights should have been one of the first things “shut”, or at least people on them put in isolation. Yet everyone gets their knickers in a twist about the family down the road driving a short distance to a park to have some exercise 🙄

So is social distancing just going to stop the minute we ease restrictions....surely it can't and hence how do businesses like hairdressers operate even with protective clothing (that really should all be going to the NHS and care sector). Tough on the hairdressers !!!
Not entirely, but there are going to have to be exceptions.

Schools will reopen after the summer holidays, and they obviously won't stay 2 meters apart.

But we'll have to work out the best strategies possible, use the ppe we have, and keep washing our hands.

13 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

But what if that takes 9 months. Are we really saying that a lockdown could go on for that length of time? Or longer?

Germany has almost done it. Belgium is getting close as well. Tbh, if takes 9 months that is purely down to the incompetence of the government. Which should be a scandal.

Open up too soon, more people die and we end up having a second lockdown.  That in itself will lead to arguably even worse economic problems in the long run

36 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Looking forward to someone providing me with a scale drawing of how I can fit myself, my desk, 33 pupils, 33 desks, a cupboard, drawers and a shelving unit into a room measuring 8m x 7m while maintaining 2m between everyone at all times.

Going to need a height to that room before we can work out where everyone needs to be seated :P

30 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I've tried "Blitz Spirit" and "Stiff Upper Lip" but strangely enough it doesn't seem to have physically made my classroom any larger.

Well it's obvious isn't it, you haven't banged any pots together...or had an elderly relative doing laps of your house.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Papers full of their "secret" reopening plans. Most seem to report that hairdressers will be in the 1st phase af business allowed to reopen. The same articles include the detail that all reopening businesses will require to continue with current social distancing measures. How the hell will that work unless we can find hairdressers with 6ft long arms !!!

Hairdressers are working in such close proximity to people, I honestly thought they’d be one of the last places to be given the go ahead to open! 

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

From The Sun so probably wise to ignore the dates, however the plan overall would be plausible

FB_IMG_1587289450612.jpg

“sports venues”? Surely not! There’s to be no sports played in front of crowds until 2021 don’t you know 🙄

18 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Tbf i'd take any projections with a pinch of salt.

They've been rotten so far.