Coronavirus (COVID-19)

17 hours ago, superbigal said:

I wish the tories would let Priti Patel out for one more gig at the daily shiteshow. She was undoubtedly the weakest link.
Imo the next worst is Alok Sharma.

Wonder why Jacob Rees Mogg has not had a go yet.
Sure he would be priceless.

Wooohooo the govt are listening.

Priti Shitty has been let out of arsehole isolation wing to give todays bullshitting 

Testing and tracing would be an impossibly massive undertaking while the disease is still rampant, I'd think you'd need at least one person doing the tracing and another doing the testing for each primary case discovered. Calderwood alluded to that before she fucked up. The time for mass testing is when the spread is low enough to start easing off the lock down. 

Dr Calderwood said: “The thought that in some way testing slows the virus or is a part of our strategy to prevent transmission is a fallacy, I’m afraid. 
“Testing gives us more information, but social distancing and all of these stringent measures are what we need to prevent spread.”

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Paco said:

I’m not sure that’s correct as of the past few days. There are signs of increases in the UK as a whole (28k tests done yesterday, up from 18k earlier in the week) but not really in Scotland, where we hit 1600 in a day a week or so ago and hasn’t been improved on since.

All politics aside the Scottish Government should be under pressure for this - they might not have an idiotic self-inflicted target to hit but we still aren’t testing enough people in a similar vein to the UK as a whole.

This from Alison Johnstone MSP this morning. Scotland 7.26 compared to UK 5.54

Agree, it's not enough. Scot Gov should be under pressure to explain why they meekly followed a shambolic London govt, though of course to do our own thing would be to invite accusations of 'playing politics'. It's times like these when the independence of wee nations like Ireland, Denmark, New Zealand or Iceland is the crucial factor. In reality, we don't call al lthe shots and are really just like Yorkshire with a few extra levers of power.

I’m not sure that’s correct as of the past few days. There are signs of increases in the UK as a whole (28k tests done yesterday, up from 18k earlier in the week) but not really in Scotland, where we hit 1600 in a day a week or so ago and hasn’t been improved on since.

All politics aside the Scottish Government should be under pressure for this - they might not have an idiotic self-inflicted target to hit but we still aren’t testing enough people in a similar vein to the UK as a whole.

I criticised the scot gov response to this, testing and ppe provision and the cybernat brigade went tonto. Nicola Sturgeon probably is very well intentioned in all this, but despite the nice rhetoric i think the response has been pretty pish, not just in terms of the nhs but the overall scottish public sector response. It is better than England but that isnt the marker i want for Scotland.

8 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I criticised the scot gov response to this, testing and ppe provision and the cybernat brigade went tonto. Nicola Sturgeon probably is very well intentioned in all this, but despite the nice rhetoric i think the response has been pretty pish, not just in terms of the nhs but the overall scottish public sector response. It is better than England but that isnt the marker i want for Scotland.

I think sensible SNP members and supporters are willing to criticise when its valid.  I’m glad we have Sturgeon in charge but there’s various aspects of our response that I’m less than happy with.

Do we have the raw materials to make hundreds of thousands of test kits in scotland?

I know theres massive drug manufacture plant in bathgate and other places.

If we could provide enough kits to test every key worker a week then that would be a start. I dont think theres a supply of the basic chemicals. I believe germany manufacturers them which is why they did so well perhaps?

The snp response has been calm and rational but still not producing any great results or doing anything different from the rest of the uk.

Its been a bit like watching the BBC news then reporting scotland. Same news twice.

10 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

As part of a tentative reopening of the US state of Tennessee the Republican governor is allowing restaurants to reopen on Monday at 50% capacity. The 6 Democratic counties of TN have refused and instead have their own plan to reopen which will start on Thursday.
I thought this was nicely representative of Coronavirus being used as part of a bitter partisan national political power struggle.

At this time be grateful that the Tories have so much support from the media and general public and can get on with the job at hand without toxic hostile politics getting in the way.

See the source image

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I think sensible SNP members and supporters are willing to criticise when its valid.  I’m glad we have Sturgeon in charge but there’s various aspects of our response that I’m less than happy with.

I don't think any government anywhere has got this 100% right, which is understandable. However, those that have had more time to prepare should have been better prepared.

Those advocating that lockdown should have started sooner are completely ignoring the way lockdown has been treated when it became unavoidable. There is no way the public would have tolerated it when infections and deaths were relatively miniscule.

4 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:
22 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:
Really like aldi some great deals on booze and fresh stuff is good.

Anyone that chooses Tesco/Asda over Aldi/Lidl for meat and veg or off their heads imo.

I'll buy chicken in either tbh. Aldi packs are cheaper, but the breasts themselves are smaller.

£/kg i don't think there is a huge difference.

While I was walking through Kelvingrove Park there, I saw a guy standing in the middle of the playpark leaning against one of the slides. Cop car pulled up, one of them got out and asked if he was OK. "Yeah, I'm just taking a photo of the Uni" was his answer. When the cop pointed out that this didn't seem like an essential journey or exercise, and that he had had to enter an area cordoned off with police tape to take said photo, he took the huff and said there were other people doing similar and they were picking on him. He then wandered off, muttering under his breath while the cop looked completely fed up.

Am I wrong for thinking she should have just nicked him for being a knob?

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

While I was walking through Kelvingrove Park there, I saw a guy standing in the middle of the playpark leaning against one of the slides. Cop car pulled up, one of them got out and asked if he was OK. "Yeah, I'm just taking a photo of the Uni" was his answer. When the cop pointed out that this didn't seem like an essential journey or exercise, and that he had had to enter an area cordoned off with police tape to take said photo, he took the huff and said there were other people doing similar and they were picking on him. He then wandered off, muttering under his breath while the cop looked completely fed up.

Were you taking a picture of the university at the time?

That they looked fed up and didnt take any further action is probably a good indication of how much of this type of thing they currently deal with