Coronavirus (COVID-19)

17 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Sorry you're right. Employment opportunities and salaries are uniformly distributed across Scotland and the only reason people live in places badly served by public transport is spite.

Employment opportunities are typically linked to these things called 'towns' and 'cities' that provide local accommodation for its employees to live. If you want a job in a different part of the country then you should move there instead of expecting everyone else in society to pay for your sacred right to a easy commute.

But this wasn't even the case in the example above, as taking three buses to get between your house and your work within an hour is an example of a commute that has decent public transport links and isn't badly served at all.

Edited by vikingTON

Heard back from my accountant, not eligible for anything. I’ve turned down work for the last time, that’s me back to asap, I’m sitting in the house no more 

31 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I used to cycle in from Fife to Edinburgh. Pot luck if the bridge would be open to cyclists, and if it was closed it would be pot luck if you could take the bike onto a train, and if it was open you’d have to negotiate miles of glass-strewn paths. 

Considering how cheap building and maintaining decent cycle paths must be, and how the general (lack of) health and fitness has been demonstrably problematic to the NHS, I’d hope we see more emphasis on combining commuting with fitness. 

Fife to Edinburgh is a pretty long cycle doubt many folk will consider ditching the car/train for 2 wheels any time soon. Encouraging folk to spend less time at work or getting to and from work should help folk have time to look after their physical and mental health

16 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

One of the many issues with blanket policies like raising taxes so car use isn’t affordable means essential jobs which require use of your own private car become incredibly difficult to fill.

Within a decade you'll be able to order a autonomous electric car fuelled by renewable energy to pick you up whenever you like. There will be no point in owning one that just sits outside your house 95% of the time. So I read in a magazine anyway.  

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I live about 8 miles from work.

I work shifts.

Public transport is unavailable when I start days or finish nights.

Should I sell my house?

Maybe you could swap with someone who works near your house but lives near your work?

I can’t really take public transport to work as I work in Livingston and live in Edinburgh, it would add hours onto my day. I don’t mind working from home a lot more, it’s saving me a fortune and I haven’t had to fill up my car for two months.

Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of it, any policy to penalise drivers would be massively unpopular. The workplace car parking levy, if it’s ever introduced, will be a huge negative to those who have to pay it. People hate paying for parking and having to pay to park at work will drive people apoplectic.

Also, to move people’s workplaces and homes closer together requires huge societal change - the housing market, the job market, the travel/tourism sector, education would all have to change massively. People’s expectations, wants and needs from housing would have to develop a lot. Not to say it can’t happen but it would be a massive change.

I do think that what happens post Covid might be counter intuitive. When the internet became widespread the expectation was that it would end the office as people could log in anywhere and work. What actually happened was the opposite with cities becoming hubs for tech companies and employees. Maybe something similarly unpredicted will happen in the next few years.

Just to add, what they do here in Gent is pretty much ban cars in the city center, you need to register first to drive here, but offer large car parks on the outskirts with buses taking people to the centre, essentially pollution away from where people live. For people that actually live in the city, you need to register your car and the most polluting are banned (so no 4x4s, though no older cars which some think is unfair on poorer people.
Also they've banned the most polluting cars so if any c**t wants to drive a 4x4 into the city, that is just not allowed whatsoever. 
A lot of out of town Flemish gammons disapprove but it is popular in the city itself.

23 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I can’t really take public transport to work as I work in Livingston and live in Edinburgh, it would add hours onto my day. I don’t mind working from home a lot more, it’s saving me a fortune and I haven’t had to fill up my car for two months.

20 minutes on the train, take a fold up electric bike.

25 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I can’t really take public transport to work as I work in Livingston and live in Edinburgh, it would add hours onto my day. I don’t mind working from home a lot more, it’s saving me a fortune and I haven’t had to fill up my car for two months

50 minutes from door to office when I did that commute