Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Except temperature checks on their own aren't reliable.

Surely with the money involved in the holiday market I'm sure the airlines can come up with something . let's say they just get you to pay for a test(then self isolate) and get the results ASAP, they can also temperature test at airport. This test may prove useful for getting accepted into other countries.

Just now, Bairnardo said:
9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:
Except temperature checks on their own aren't reliable.

Pretty sure something to raise the odds will be deemed acceptable eventially

I'll be more inclined than most to raise my risk level of it means going on holiday, but they'll need to do a bit more than that to get things moving.

One would assume testing technology is moving at pace too. Depending on how ling a vaccine takes, more and more will get poured into it. 

I know f**k all about virus detection but could there ever credibly be an instantaneous test?  

1 minute ago, dirty dingus said:

Surely with the money involved in the holiday market I'm sure the airlines can come up with something . let's say they just get you to pay for a test(then self isolate) and get the results ASAP, they can also temperature test at airport. This test may prove useful for getting accepted into other countries.

Similar to needing injections to go to South America, say. There's already a Dutch Company talking about setting up holidays where you're tested, isolated, tested again, and sent out to an all in resort in Turkey where you're not allowed to leave until you go home. Not sure if I fancy that tbh.

24 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Mind when everyone, me included, ripped the pish out@Detournement for saying nobody is going on a foreign holiday for a few years?

Today both France and Spain (two badly hit countries) have come out with seroprevalence numbers. (France is a model, paper linked below. Spain was representative sample/survey of 60K; I don't have the paper yet). Both are ~5 percent. If that holds up, that is very very bad news. https://t.co/Tr7sCEXtrT

— zeynep tufekci (@zeynep) May 13, 2020

i have no idea what that means, can you elaborate?

11 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Testing on Spain and France suggest only 5% of folk have had it.

Is this antibody testing or just the current % of folk who have covid19  in the sample so it wouldn't tell you if people have came through it.. I maybe wrong though but I read about sub samples in north Italy where the herd figures were as high as 50%

What happens if you fly to Spain (for example) having passed a temp test on departure but the Spanish test you on entry and you fail that test. They refuse you entry, the airlines then won't fly you home and god knows where you would sit with insurance. Fraught with danger. Add in SD measures in resort and why on earth would anyone even contemplate a foreign holiday this summer. Lunacy !

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

What happens if you fly to Spain (for example) having passed a temp test on departure but the Spanish test you on entry and you fail that test. They refuse you entry, the airlines then won't fly you home and god knows where you would sit with insurance. Fraught with danger. Add in SD measures in resort and why on earth would anyone even contemplate a foreign holiday this summer. Lunacy !

Add in the factor of trying to get travel insurance that covers "covid 19" problems then yip you aint going nowhere fancy....saltcoats it is 

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Throw you in the lavy up the back and lock the door?   I'm thinking of a testing regime where you get tested and isolated by the airlines. Obviously they would have to have some sort of plan with the governments and airlines for any persons with symptoms.

12 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Not sure what you mean

I mean is it possible that people will not have had it but will not catch it because of a natural immunity that is not detectable?

I mean is it possible that people will not have had it but will not catch it because of a natural immunity that is not detectable?
Not sure you can have natural immunity to a new virus. Yes you can have such a good immune system that it barely affects but don't think that's classed as natural Immunity. You still caught it kind of thing.

I don’t think we know that but it could be that some people are. The virus binds to specific receptors so if someone had a genetic mutation in that receptor it’s possible the virus wouldn’t bind. I don’t know either though.
I don’t think natural immunity is the term that medical professionals use though.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Antibody testing

I think only Spain did the antibody testing. The French figure is from modelling.

In Spain there's a lot of regional variation - up to 14% in some areas, and below 2% in some others - but it's a serious and large scale survey, so probably pretty accurate. 

Edited by bendan

25 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Makes me wonder why we've not released data from our own serology testing, we've done tens of thousands.

Haven't they provisionally done that? I think Vallance said 4.8% - 10% in London and 4% elsewhere. I think an official release is coming very soon.

Edit: something about it here: 

https://www.cityam.com/ten-per-cent-of-londons-population-may-have-caught-coronavirus/

He might have meant 4% total across the country. That would be based on infections at some point back in early April, though.

Edited by bendan