Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Thanks for your reply but that is why I cannae comprehend the argument that the earth is round in this particular instance.

If I take a globe and stick a guy at the north pole and stick another guy at the south pole then surely the guy at the south pole is 'upside down'

Not if you turn the globe the other way around. Or if you were to hang upside down by your feet and look at the globe, it would look like the guy on the south pole was upright and the guy on the north pole was upside down. If up and down can change depending on the orientation of the globe, your orientation as you look at the globe or both, then up and down don't have any 'real' physical meaning. They're entirely based on your perspective. Which is how two people on different sides of the globe can both feel like they're the right way up and the other is upside down. Because they have different perspectives. In reality, neither are upright or upside down by any objective measure, because those concepts don't exist without a frame of reference.

If you're not on Earth, you'd see those terms don't really have much meaning

Again I'm no following that.

Are you saying that there is a position in space where someone in a space ship could see the earth with the south pole at the top and the north pole at the bottom?

It disnae work.

Yes, very easily. Or the poles could look like they were at the sides or at any angle at all. Or they could be looking directly at the pole in which case one of the poles would look like it was at the 'front' and the other at the 'back' rather than top and bottom.

Edited by Gordon EF

4 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

I'm a flat-earther until some one tells me different. (I'm no really but I would still like this question answered).

eg Peasy is up in a spaceship and he can see the entire planet earth from his window.

He has a very powerful telescope and he zooms into Perth and sees me waving to him.

He then zooms into Wellington, NZ and sees my cousin also waving to him.

My question is;- is my cousin standing on his head?

If no, why no?

If your cousin was standing on his head and able to wave at a spaceship at the same time then that would be impressive.

Maybe he is standing on his head.  I have never met him.  I can't stand on my head but that is a different matter.

I think what you mean to say is will he appear inverted compared to you.  The answer is yes.

Similarly if you were standing on the equator the man in the spaceship could watch you whiz around at 1,000 miles an hour.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

This kind of genius post is why p&b is a vital part of my life right now. Scottish politics is still very confrontational. Yes the Chamber is designed to reduce that but the impact is minimal.

I can just about accept that Scottish political discourse is slightly healthier than the uk as a whole, but there's not much in it, and it's still embarrassingly poor.

From where I live, whenever I've seen Holyrood on tv, it looks like politics being done by adults.  Westminster is garbage, consumed by theatre.

3 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

I wonder how long it took them to get back inside when they heard there was live football on?

The woman on the left looks like Lynn from Alan Partridge.  I was half expecting Steve Coogan to appear shouting "Dan".

48 minutes ago, beefybake said:

From where I live, whenever I've seen Holyrood on tv, it looks like politics being done by adults.  Westminster is garbage, consumed by theatre.

Theatre would be a compliment.  It is often boorish public school loutish behaviour.  Incredible to think some people regard this as the correct way to conduct serious debate.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Gravity is what gives us the feeling of what is up and what is down.

Spaceships don't experience much in the way of gravity so there's no feeling of up and down.

Partly. Part of the feeling of what's up and what's down is just what we're used to seeing. So if a spaceship was arranged like a room in a building on Earth with seats, desks etc fixed to one surface, we'd likely still 'feel' like we could tell up from down and that it made sense, even with no or very little gravity.

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Partly. Part of the feeling of what's up and what's down is just what we're used to seeing. So if a spaceship was arranged like a room in a building on Earth with seats, desks etc fixed to one surface, we'd likely still 'feel' like we could tell up from down and that it made sense, even with no or very little gravity.

IIRC In the early days of the international space station, the astronauts use to sleep in any orientation that they liked.  However it was disturbing to wake up and see a colleague sleeping on the wall.  Therefore they agreed on which way was up even if this was artificial.