Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
6 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
The only flaw in your post is this. You don't / can't know that isn't what's happening already.
No one is seriously asking for Phase 3 on Thursday. Only Phase 2 in full.

It appears all we are getting on Thursday is more social interaction. Shops will not be reopening we will be given a date for shops opening instead. Painfully slow stuff.

Where was this?

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Are there still currently numbers indicating that we should be so far behind England? Because they are easing more and faster and yet the time lag is getting bigger. 

We'll have a pretty good idea of how phase 1 affected the R value at the review on Thursday, the last 0.6 to 0.8 number quoted didn't, due to lag in data, take into account the main time that phase 1 has been in operation.

There may also be differences in how both governments view sustainable recovery. It could be that ScotGov is planning on hammering R into the ground if possible, and UK Gov will go as fast as possible so long as R hovers around, at, but not above 1.

1) No schools have 'gone back', apart from those that have been open all along for key workers' childcare. Some of those have allowed slightly more children in, most haven't.
2) N/A
3) I don't think 'making things as awkward as possible' factors into the reopening planning, but there are obviously restrictions on how many pupils are going to be allowed into the building at any one time. Different councils will have different ways of implementing that how they see fit.
Schools in East Renfrewshire have reopened I think.

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

To be slightly fair, this is a fast moving situation.

France for instance, went from complete lockdown a month ago and saying that its borders would remain closed until September, to opening everything up for holidaymakers from the EU (f**k the UK) from today.

Aye, but let's face it, there's no danger of us doing that

20 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Aye, but let's face it, there's no danger of us doing that

Aye the "we'll go quicker if we can" line was a definite lie.

There is no pressure on the SNP to open the economy back up, or worry about the mid - long term consequences of keeping it closed. When the recession hits big time, they can blame Brexit and state what they could do if only we hadn't been dragged out of the EU.

Not suggesting they want this to happen, but it's a handy safety net to have if it's needed.

Edited by Todd_is_God

I know there was a HUGE amount of sensitivity around the blm protest and not wanting to appear heavy handed but, do you get the feeling that if they were so genuinely worried about it they would have stopped them from taking place?
Up untill now the government will get the flak for virus cases and deaths , “ not doing enough “ and “ don’t care abandoning us “ etc etc being constantly banded around by auld jean who spent her life working the bar in a social club
Even now after 4 new cases in the forth valley , yes 4 - the falkirk heralds Facebook comments are filled with “ why why why is lockdown being eased when people are still getting the virus “

However after a certain amount of time passes and the initial hysteria over the virus begins to fade, is it more likely the public mood will change from helen lovejoy to “ well this isn’t going away any time soon so we might as well get on with it, can’t stay on lockdown forever “
And with that i recon alot of the easing is political damage limitation rather than public health oriented

I know there was a HUGE amount of sensitivity around the blm protest and not wanting to appear heavy handed but, do you get the feeling that if they were so genuinely worried about it they would have stopped them from taking place?
Up untill now the government will get the flak for virus cases and deaths , “ not doing enough “ and “ don’t care abandoning us “ etc etc being constantly banded around by auld jean who spent her life working the bar in a social club
Even now after 4 new cases in the forth valley , yes 4 - the falkirk heralds Facebook comments are filled with “ why why why is lockdown being eased when people are still getting the virus “

However after a certain amount of time passes and the initial hysteria over the virus begins to fade, is it more likely the public mood will change from helen lovejoy to “ well this isn’t going away any time soon so we might as well get on with it, can’t stay on lockdown forever “
And with that i recon alot of the easing is political damage limitation rather than public health oriented

Quite clearly sturgeon was responding to media and public pressure following swinney's comments yesterday. The idea that blended learning could be in for the test of the academic year is insane - and she was right to walk that back.

In my opinion this is a positive development. It shows that they're aware of the public mood, and if the low numbers continue then we'll be easing restrictions quickly.

We'll see what the end of the week brings.

I made a point a week or so ago about how, statistically, you must be at greater risk of being exposed to covid-19 standing beside the same person for 30mins outside a shop than you would be just shopping normally.

Then you see the likes of this today. There is no way this is any safer than just opening a shop and letting people in.

20200615_191235.jpg

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Quite clearly sturgeon was responding to media and public pressure following swinney's comments yesterday. The idea that blended learning could be in for the test of the academic year is insane - and she was right to walk that back.

In my opinion this is a positive development. It shows that they're aware of the public mood, and if the low numbers continue then we'll be easing restrictions quickly.

We'll see what the end of the week brings.

She also, bizzarely, claimed last week that she would not go through this 'dropping hints' despite dropping hints about Phase 2 not being rolled out fully in just about every briefing since last Monday.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
3 hours ago, Gaz said:
1) No schools have 'gone back', apart from those that have been open all along for key workers' childcare. Some of those have allowed slightly more children in, most haven't.
2) N/A
3) I don't think 'making things as awkward as possible' factors into the reopening planning, but there are obviously restrictions on how many pupils are going to be allowed into the building at any one time. Different councils will have different ways of implementing that how they see fit.

Schools in East Renfrewshire have reopened I think.

I'd be surprised at that. For all pupils? For all teachers?

Someone mentioned the vaccine earlier, would we be injected with covid to make us “immune”? Sounds a bit like heard immunity under a different guise 
Maybe I'm missing something but isn't that how all vaccines work?

5 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
6 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:
The only section I can see being pushed back is the things covered under "shopping, eating and drinking out" which, to be honest, I'd expect most people could live without for a few more weeks.

I'm sure I've said previously but if the current trends continue there's no reason for us not to keep moving through phases (at least in the most part) at 3 week intervals.

NS confirmed today that despite what the guide says she will only announce a date for small retailers reopening on Thursday, she won't be announcing they can reopen from Thursday.

When’s the bigger chains opening again up here? So I can avoid going anywhere in the vicinity of Primark!

7 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
10 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:
Someone mentioned the vaccine earlier, would we be injected with covid to make us “immune”? Sounds a bit like heard immunity under a different guise 

7 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Not sure if serious.

It was tongue in cheek. If no vaccine is on the horizon then I’d say go for herd immunity in the future rather than lockdown after lockdown if there’s flare ups

Serious point here - what size classroom will it take to fit 30 kids in with SD maintained? Because without (much) larger classrooms, then you're either going to need

1. (Many) more classrooms

2. (Many) more teachers to occupy those classrooms, or

3. Rationing of education.

Only one of these options costs no money.

Option 3 is the one happening because even if you manage to do Option 1 it still requires Option 2 - something we just don't have - in some subjects like Maths and English they are struggling to fill existing posts.

No, it's not the virus you get but a modified and version* of the virus. People who get the flu shot sometimes think they've been given the flu virus and then feel ill thinking they have the actual flu but they don't. For some its psychosomatic, for others its the mimicking of symptoms as their immune system learns the best way to attack this type of foreign body and for some its another unrelated illness.

* obviously its more complex than that, but its close enough.