Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Seeing shite like this already, morons blaming the public instead of the government. A government who knew full well this is exactly what would happen, and are delighted it has, because it means morons like this guy will blame the people instead of the Tories if there’s a big spike. 
E197BBC1-B893-4D95-AA51-FCCE71659E45.thumb.jpeg.f75e9abeaf87c4a8a3742c65b7fe4b27.jpeg

I agree that people should be blaming the government for this however the public should share some of the blame as well. These people could easily have chosen not to go out to the pubs and gather in large numbers. If they did choose to go out they could have assessed the situation and thought “actually, this looks a bit crowded and a bit risky so I’ll go somewhere else/give it a miss tonight.”

If the second wave does kick off again as a result of this these pub goers will be complaining about it. “This government is hopeless!” aye that’s right enough mate but to be fair you were out getting hammered all night when the pubs opened again with thousands of other people.

Just been out for a walk round the centre of Perth, couple of people going into the beer garden at Bank, but foot traffic is certainly up.

43 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I agree that people should be blaming the government for this however the public should share some of the blame as well. These people could easily have chosen not to go out to the pubs and gather in large numbers. If they did choose to go out they could have assessed the situation and thought “actually, this looks a bit crowded and a bit risky so I’ll go somewhere else/give it a miss tonight.”

If the second wave does kick off again as a result of this these pub goers will be complaining about it. “This government is hopeless!” aye that’s right enough mate but to be fair you were out getting hammered all night when the pubs opened again with thousands of other people.

I'm not sure you can blame people for heading out to the pub when the government tells them it's fine to go to the pub. If the numbers are too many then the owners of each establishment need to be responsible and refuse entry to others. Expecting people to make the "common sense" decision for themselves is never going to work when we are country of functioning alcoholics, Johnson knows that too. You'll see Tory MPs come out one by one over the next two weeks if the rate goes up, and every single one of them will be saying "the people weren't being sensible". You could see it as soon as Johnson mentioned good old British common sense.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

They won't need all week but they have all week as quarantine remains in place even in England until that time.

Well no they don't because they can't just waive their restrictions and exect the industry to regain a normal level of demand overnight - even the UK government gave the industry sufficient time to prepare for this reason. Every day's delay is in fact another day of lost business for Scottish airports, the airlines flying from them and their local staff because few customers are going to book flights when they still don't know if they have to take two weeks off when they return home as well.

I doubt Germany is the issue but plenty outwith the BJ green list need looking at carefully. NS is on record as saying it's highly likely those on their "green" list will get the same treatment here.

So why didn't the SG just sign off on that green list and lifting quarantine restrictions from Friday 10th, while reserving the right to review the dodgy cases?

Spoiler

A: Because it was more politically convenient for it to completely distance itself from English policy, even at the expense of the aviation sector and all common sense.

I'm not sure you can blame people for heading out to the pub when the government tells them it's fine to go to the pub. If the numbers are too many then the owners of each establishment need to be responsible and refuse entry to others. Expecting people to make the "common sense" decision for themselves is never going to work when we are country of functioning alcoholics, Johnson knows that too. You'll see Tory MPs come out one by one over the next two weeks if the rate goes up, and every single one of them will be saying "the people weren't being sensible". You could see it as soon as Johnson mentioned good old British common sense.

Yeah that’s fair enough. I guess I’m just looking at things from a “sensible” point of view and forgetting that just because I don’t believe a word the UK government says doesn’t mean everybody else is thinking like that as well.

It’s the herd immunity strategy under the guise of “Super Saturdays.”

The straight choice is to either allow pubs to open with restrictions and hope most people do act sensibly or to keep them closed and bail the sector out. Furlough alone isn't going to keep cutting it -there are bills to be paid and bankruptcies/administration will start to happen very shortly as they already are in the retail and restaurant sectors if pubs remain closed. 

Personal responsibility is a key component of getting life back to something resembling normal. Any relaxation the government puts in place depends on people not taking the piss. That said, the bollocks positive PR that the Johnson government insists on attaching to every announcement needs to be launched right into the nearest sea. 

I can't say the "scenes" in Soho bothered me too much as it's a road we've been down before. Yes, there were a lot of people not distanced in the street but how was this any different from the BLM protests or some of the footage from Bournemouth Station or Beach? At least it was outdoors. Saying that... If the scenes *inside* those pubs resembled anything like that then yes there is big cause for concern because that is high risk and a clear breach of the guidelines. 

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Not only was it implied it was fine to go to the pub, the government essentially said it was people's civic duty to go out on "Super Saturday" to save the economy.

It was absolutely nailed on that pubs in cities would be mobbed. It was a deliberate policy decision to sacrifice a few dafties to test the water. We'll get a few local lockdown and maybe some half hearted restrictions nationally before they think "fūck it, get the lazy bastãrds back to work or whatever they do" and open everything reminding us to wash our hands with Mogg manufactured soap and wear Gove produced masks.

What would be the Government's motive in doing that?  
I think many are crediting them with too much intelligence - they are simply out of their depth and I doubt they could devise such a thing as an ulterior motive.  

I agree that the PM and a lot of the cabinet are way out of their depth.
However I don’t think that they are actually the ones running the country just now.
Step forward the guy with the dodgy eyesight!

36 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Not only was it implied it was fine to go to the pub, the government essentially said it was people's civic duty to go out on "Super Saturday" to save the economy.

I imagine people were also looking at every other supposed second wave tipping point where it didn't happen and thought it was just scaremongering at this point.

I don't really get this constant "wee nippy just sees what England is doing then does it a fortnight later as political point scoring" chat. 

I could be wrong, but it seems like the science (apart from the farce at the start) seems pretty clear about what to do during a pandemic, the difference comes about in the timing - when to do the stuff. 

We (and Wales) seem to have a decent enough record since we diverged, and the general opinion seems to be that England are moving too quickly, so... 🤷‍♂️ 

29 minutes ago, madwullie said:

We (and Wales) seem to have a decent enough record since we diverged, and the general opinion seems to be that England are moving too quickly, so... 🤷‍♂️ 

We do, but actually, so does England.

It's clear the trend in Scotland has been good since we went down a different path. What people are questioning is whether or not maintaining a tighter lock down for longer is the cause, or whether this would have happened anyway had we followed the same steps at the same time.

The 7 day average graphs for the UK and Scotland are below. They are very similar. Ours is steeper for slightly longer, but this is only a definite benefit if we ignore any negative impacts of maintaining the lockdown.

Similar to the deaths in Scotland v deaths in Sweden trend I mentioned last week, it is easy for pro SNP people to take at face value that when NS tells us the results are down to being locked down for longer that is indeed the case as they absolutely want it to be true.

When the dust settles though, it is very important for any future pandemics of this nature that that is examined properly to identify to what extent, if any, it made a difference.

Screenshot_20200706-180007_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20200706-175952_Opera.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

24 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

We do, but actually, so does England.

It's clear the trend in Scotland has been good since we went down a different path. What people are questioning is whether or not maintaining a tighter lock down for longer is the cause, or whether this would have happened anyway had we followed the same steps at the same time.

The 7 day average graphs for the UK and Scotland are below. They are very similar. Ours is steeper for slightly longer, but this is only a definite benefit if we ignore any negative impacts of maintaining the lockdown.

Similar to the deaths in Scotland v deaths in Sweden trend I mentioned last week, it is easy for pro SNP people to take at face value that when NS tells us the results are down to being locked down for longer that is indeed the case as they absolutely want it to be true.

When the dust settles though, it is very important for any future pandemics of this nature that that is examined properly to identify to what extent, if any, it made a difference.

Screenshot_20200706-180007_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20200706-175952_Opera.jpg

Yeah I agree there's not much point getting better numbers (especially if it has meant more hardship) if you do f**k all with them 

6 minutes ago, madwullie said:

The maw sounds a right c**t, can she not get done for at least neglect maybe even manslaughter as 17 is still classed as a child.

So why didn't the SG just sign off on that green list and lifting quarantine restrictions from Friday 10th, while reserving the right to review the dodgy cases?
Spoiler

A: Because it was more politically convenient for it to completely distance itself from English policy, even at the expense of the aviation sector and all common sense.

To be honest getting 30 minutes notice and no chance to look at the accompanying data (especially for those countries on the Amber list) was always going to result in this.

It is an utter gift for the Scottish Government in terms of emphasing the difference between their cautious strategy and Johnson's fly by the seat of your pants strategy.

A few more days is not going to be the end of the world.

Even deep down you know that.

Just back from big Tesco and I’d say about 10% of us had a face covering on. At one point I noticed 15/16 people across 2 aisles not wearing a covering.