Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

The same Scottish Government that wanted to go ahead with the full Ibrox in mid-March when the R rate was through the roof and the rest of Europe was shutting down?

Aye the same ones that allowed the game at Ibrox v Leverkusen to go ahead on the Thur of that week, then conveniently saying crowds of over 500 would not be allowed from the Monday of the following week...which just happened to be the day after the OF game

13 minutes ago, Snafu said:

There's an article from The Atlantic which came up on 'the pocket' on the Google browser about 'long haulers'.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/08/long-haulers-covid-19-recognition-support-groups-symptoms/615382/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Of the long-haulers Putrino has surveyed, most are women. Their average age is 44. Most were formerly fit and healthy. They look very different from the typical portrait of a COVID-19 patient—an elderly person with preexisting health problems. “It’s scary because in the states that are surging, we have all these young people going out thinking they’re invincible, and this could easily knock them out for months,” Putrino told me. And for some, months of illness could turn into years of disability.

Our understanding of COVID-19 has accreted around the idea that it kills a few and is “mild” for the rest. That caricature was sketched before the new coronavirus even had a name; instead of shifting in the light of fresh data, it calcified. It affected the questions scientists sought to ask, the stories journalists sought to tell, and the patients doctors sought to treat. It excluded long-haulers from help and answers. Nichols’s initial symptoms were so unlike the official description of COVID-19 that her first doctor told her she had acid reflux and refused to get her tested. “Even if you did have COVID-19, you’re 32, you’re healthy, and you’re not going to die,” she remembers him saying. (She has since tested positive.)

------

It’s not enough, argues Nisreen Alwan, a public-health professor at the University of Southampton who has had COVID-19 since March 20. She says that experts and officials should stop referring to all nonhospitalized cases as “mild.” They should agree on a definition of recovery that goes beyond being discharged from the hospital or testing negative for the virus, and accounts for a patient’s quality of life. “We cannot fight what we do not measure,” Alwan says. “Death is not the only thing that counts. We must also count lives changed.”

Only then will we truly know the full stakes of the pandemic. As many people still fantasize about returning to their previous lives, some are already staring at a future where that is no longer possible.

Interesting. 

We certainly need to shift the thinking when considering the health implications of Covid-19 from it's either lemsip on the couch and Bargain Hunt on the TV for a week or so or ventilator and death that some would almost have us believe are the only two outcomes of becoming infected. 

On 20/08/2020 at 12:31, Jacksgranda said:

Our daughter's day centre has opened up again, only 7/8 in at a time and they are being accommodated in the dining room rather than their "own" rooms. Many of the clients are in wheelchairs and/or have learning difficulties so social distancing will be a non starter.

We have discussed the situation with her and the centre manager and have decided to hold off for a month at least to see how the situation unfolds.

I can't see it being viable long term with the same amount of staff/buses etc for only 25% of the clients (every day, there were about 30 + attendees prior to lockdown).

Day Centre has just rung, they're a bit concerned because of the soaring cases over here. Upshot is our daughter is definitely not going in.

And yesterday I had to go to the shop in the next village - two customers in when i went in, both wearing face masks, as was I. Wee lassie stacking the shelves not wearing a face mask, although she got out of my way sharpish as I negotiated the one way system.

Three folk went in as I came out, none wearing masks and it didn't look like they had one stuffed in their pocket. So 50% compliance on something that is mandatory.

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

Going back to the start of this thread and reading the first ten pages is quite an eye opener on how lightly we took it all back then. JTS98's attempts to ruin and derail the thread by being more serious than his usual - mocked and telt. Hedge 'the dirty bomb' cutter, staggy1929 pretending not to worry people, Mullarkey being .......... Mullarkey.

Innocent times.

Yeah, well we weren’t all experts back then.

I really don't understand NS's position here on non-essential office work.

They have been allowed to open for about a month in England already. Why would the WM government agree to extend the JRS so that NS can keep them closed for fully 3 months plus longer up here?

I don't understand why she thinks she has any power of persuasion on this. The only way it gets extended is if there is a surge in people going in to hospital in England, regardless of what NS does up here.

Was supposed to have a friend coming up from Preston area tomorrow. The announcements of reviews etc and splits between different towns/areas down there are absolutely shambolic. He’s currently sitting waiting refreshing the council website as an MP in another area has announced they are no longer in lockdown, but still nothing from the government at all. Farcical.

First person in 2 months went off from work regarding their child having a cough.... said person had already been off for 2 weeks when they got paid for it.

This time however he got tested ( as he had to) and was back to work within 3 days.

Still 0 cases in work so far. Long may it continue. 

Football next week 🙂

24 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

First person in 2 months went off from work regarding their child having a cough.... said person had already been off for 2 weeks when they got paid for it.

This time however he got tested ( as he had to) and was back to work within 3 days.

Still 0 cases in work so far. Long may it continue. 

Football next week 🙂

The likelihood with supermarkets is that it went through the workers unnoticed in March when the shops were mobbed and no one knew how mild Covid is in the majority of cases. 

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The likelihood with supermarkets is that it went through the workers unnoticed in March when the shops were mobbed and no one knew how mild Covid is in the majority of cases. 

And still the shops are mobbed with zero social distancing. Masks id say has dropped slightly with fewer people not giving a shit. Many still don't know how to wear them proper. 

The school that closed in Dundee. Said teachers come into our store frequently.  

A lot of people starting to wear the lanyards to be exempt from wearing masks.

Picking up the kids from school is great fun. Zero parents wear masks. All crammed at the school gates to get their children and then climb back through again to go home. 

Humans eh 

The advice in England is still for office staff to work from home where possible, a third of Londoners are working from home. The difference from Scotland isn't very much. It seems sensible to me to give one risky step (opening up the schools) a few weeks before filling up public transport and all the city centre canteens, cafes, pubs etc.

And still the shops are mobbed with zero social distancing. Masks id say has dropped slightly with fewer people not giving a shit. Many still don't know how to wear them proper. 
The school that closed in Dundee. Said teachers come into our store frequently.  
A lot of people starting to wear the lanyards to be exempt from wearing masks.
Picking up the kids from school is great fun. Zero parents wear masks. All crammed at the school gates to get their children and then climb back through again to go home. 
Humans eh 

Last night was the first time I’d seen someone challenged for not wearing a mask at my local Tesco.

His excuses ranged from “I’m disabled” to “f**k you I’m not wearing one.”

Just now, mizfit said:

Last night was the first time I’d seen someone challenged for not wearing a mask at my local Tesco.

If you had to guess, which football team do you think he supports?

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

I hope it wasnt a member of staff who challenged the person?