Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

There was already a landlord blubbering on Channel 4 News tonight about how the poor wee average landlord 'only has one property' and so can't be expected to last another month without chucking their tenants out on the street. Obviously forgetting about the house that they live in themselves of course, which actually makes two properties and so grounds for immediately ripping one* of them out of their greasy, rentier clutches.

* both

Every fucking time as well there's some landlord wailing "what if we're disabled and our only source of income is to be a landlord?"

"Are you disabled?"

"No, but"

"Do you have a career?"

"Yes, but"

Choubapi.jpg

I "attended" a conference during lockdown that was all done online, it was great. No humfing luggage about, no balancing a coffee on top of a plate of sandwiches, no getting stuck with someone chatting about their project I have no interest in. Just the folk saying their bit then firing their PowerPoint onto Dropbox, questions carrying on in the chat instead of delaying everyone's lunch so some dick can enjoy the sound of his own voice. I could go off for a shite at my leisure without making a row of folk shuffle and stand up to let me out.

Zoom, teams etc has permanently killed a lot of corporate hospitality of this sort. It's sad for people to lose jobs of course but I much prefer this way of doing it.

For me, the main advantage of conferences and other such meetings is to essentially get a free holiday without even having to take annual leave. The actual conference part is secondary to that.

I'll definitely be annoyed if they are replaced by the sort of thing you describe where it turns into just another day at work.

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Ah lucky you, you get to go to forrin lands. Where I work it's the talk of the office if you make it to England.

I used to work for a company where the office was in Bath St in Glasgow. The only two conferences they ever sent me to were in the Thistle (now Hilton Doubletree) in Cambridge St and the Hilton in Anderston.

One of the bosses attended one in Hawaii.

For me, the main advantage of conferences and other such meetings is to essentially get a free holiday without even having to take annual leave. The actual conference part is secondary to that.

I'll definitely be annoyed if they are replaced by the sort of thing you describe where it turns into just another day at work.

I think there will always be some buisness travels but expensive essentially pointless jolly’s abroad might well be a thing of the past

1 hour ago, VladimirMooc said:

Of all the things I have missed during lockdown - family, friends, football, human connection - nothing quite compares to how much I have missed conferences.

I’m all for protecting people from a deadly global pandemic, but there has to be a line somewhere. That line is conferences. 

I've never been to a conference. Is there drugs and shagging?

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Shawlands nightclub "The Shed" have announced the following. Second wave? Perhaps. Marshmallo fullae it on venoms shouting? That's not for me to say. 

20200821_210906.thumb.jpg.ce4baac794bccf184fb5f236f6c52712.jpg

I've missed folk pissing in my street after the shed.