Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Drink on expenses was outlawed in my place years ago. I buy extra food to make sure I reach the expenses limit. (Not much extra on £21.00 a day, mind you, London it doesn't cover 2 meals)

Anyway, In my job we travel alone. I avoid the locals as well. The peace is what I enjoy most.

You still hear the awful "banter" at breakfast though...any one seen John...what time did you get in...sore head?

The novelty of a fried breakfast wears off quickly if you’re working away a lot. As soon as my work banned alcohol on expenses the ball was burst. I didn’t  want to work away anymore. It’s not much fun when you’re wasting your own money buying overpriced pints in some out of the way Hotel. Especially if you’re having to meet work people and make idle chit chat. Now working away involves drinking tea in my room and eating the free biscuits. Grim. I do all I can to avoid overnight trips.

any one seen John...what time did you get in...sore head? - I don’t miss this banter. 

Edited by Scary Bear

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The early 2000s were a brutal time to be alive. Came through that by the skin of my teeth. 

Fun fact, there were more flu & pneumonia deaths between 01/01 & 30/04 2020 (44k) than Covid deaths between 01/04 & 31/07 2020

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/deathsfrominfluenzabyagegroupin2020

Screenshot_20200822-005120_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I've been trying to lose a bit of weight and being away was a nightmare for that. The amount of time "no, thank you" comes out as "sticky toffee pudding, please" when asked if I would like a desert is unreal.

I'd probably be better off having that second pint I didn't have because I was trying to get skinny instead 🤣

My travels are a big miss. I have zero will power and can over do the breakfast. In my defence I quite often don't get a lunch when I'm away.

I knew I'd went too far one day when I caught an American tourist nudging his wife and nodding at my Desperate Dan style full English.

Just now, Snafu said:

As a rule in hotels I never drink from the tea cups they set out in the rooms.

It's the same with never leave your toothbrush lying around.

I’ve seen the horror stories about kettles but I feel that boiling water probably kills the germs. Same with the cups, give them a rinse with boiling water before using. Toothbrush stays in my wash bag after use so I don’t see a problem there.

On the subject of kettles, where do some hotels manage to find the slowest kettles in the world?

I've seen myself be able to brush my teeth and have a shower and the kettle still not quite boiled.

I don't like my coffee mega hot either, so I end up having to wait about 25 minutes from flicking the kettle on to get a cup

Edited by Todd_is_God

7 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I’ve seen the horror stories about kettles but I feel that boiling water probably kills the germs. Same with the cups, give them a rinse with boiling water before using. Toothbrush stays in my wash bag after use so I don’t see a problem there.

Until now, I haven't given these things much thought. As I'm unlikely to be going anywhere UFN, what might happen to your toothbrush? I understand the cup might be dirty,but so might stuff be in a pub or resruarant, I don't insist on washing the dishes before I settle down.

I used to travel for a week at a time in my trainee days. All sorts of weird and wonderful places.

Eating on expenses was wonderful. I remember one heavily subsidised blow out week in Ghent fondly. One night was fine food, another night would be Belgian Beers with a chippy.

One of my colleagues brought five pot noodles with him and stayed in his room all week rather than exploring a tremendous European city by night. Weirdo.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Until now, I haven't given these things much thought. As I'm unlikely to be going anywhere UFN, what might happen to your toothbrush? I understand the cup might be dirty,but so might stuff be in a pub or resruarant, I don't insist on washing the dishes before I settle down.

I was assuming the implication was the cleaner might tamper with it. Not sure really, I was just replying. On the kettle front, I saw a story online (must be true) that some tourists boil their underwear in the kettles. Possibly an urban myth but then again...

47 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The story touches several hot button modern topics, if I repeat it I’m genuinely worried I’ll be cancelled and will be reduced to scraping out a living writing think pieces for the Spectator and doing long Twitter threads about wokeness.

PM me and I'll spill the T

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

My whole team went out for a meal in a pub when we were on an away day in another city a couple of years ago and one lassie drank two bottles of wine and a few shots before drunkenly revealing to us extreme personal issues, so mental I can’t repeat them on here. She then went into the ladies to be sick and fell asleep in the cubicle.

Next day she turned up and didn’t mention any of it, very weird. She never mentioned any of it again, very much the elephant in the room until she left.

Mods? Ffs 😡 🤬 

Ok.

She got drunk and told everyone that her partner had told her that he was transgender and wanted to live as a woman but that he wanted them to stay together and she couldn’t decide if she was going to. I’m not sure what specific advice we imparted as she didn’t get to my part of the table before collapsing drunk.

Fast forward about two months and they got married, apparently he had a close family member who was terminally ill and wanted to see him married, so they did it. None of her family attended the wedding, the groom presented as a man on the day.

Also, her partner is a convicted sex offender who was found to have downloaded thousands of images of child abuse, some in the most serious category. He narrowly avoided imprisonment. She stayed with him despite the conviction and because of this has lost almost all access to her own children by a previous relationship. I think she sees the children once a month in a supervised visit.

[\spoiler]

You shouldnt have posted that m8. What are you thinking?

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:
Ok.

Reveal hidden contents

She got drunk and told everyone that her partner had told her that he was transgender and wanted to live as a woman but that he wanted them to stay together and she couldn’t decide if she was going to. I’m not sure what specific advice we imparted as she didn’t get to my part of the table before collapsing drunk.

Fast forward about two months and they got married, apparently he had a close family member who was terminally ill and wanted to see him married, so they did it. None of her family attended the wedding, the groom presented as a man on the day.

Also, her partner is a convicted sex offender who was found to have downloaded thousands of images of child abuse, some in the most serious category. He narrowly avoided imprisonment. She stayed with him despite the conviction and because of this has lost almost all access to her own children by a previous relationship. I think she sees the children once a month in a supervised visit.

[\spoiler]

You shouldnt have posted that m8. What are you thinking?

You should be grateful, no need to hide it anymore.

I've heard about people losing access to their kids due to the activities of the person they're in a relationship with.

If that's what love is, clearly I've never been in love. Madness.

19 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I do enjoy the social aspect and it’s a good group of people I work with. I’ve found most people in general at any job I’ve worked at are quite sound and you can have a laugh with, so I’ve never really understood the sheer hatred folk have on here for their colleagues.

I think for me though it’s more about the efficiency of doing my job which has been hampered considerably. I imagine it would totally depend on the job you work in but for a largely team-based, client-facing role working from home is more difficult, and more time-consuming to meet the same deadlines. Which adds a considerable amount of stress. I also seem to spend half my day rebooting the remote server which is a nightmare.

That was my experience also. Worked for 9 different firms over the course of my employment and although I obviously enjoyed working in some places better than others, I can't say I detested/hated any of my co-workers.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig