Coronavirus (COVID-19)

19 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

There were two people in my train carriage this morning without face masks, but they put them on when they got off the train!  I thought i'd seen it all.

It's perfectly acceptable to ask someone to put it on in this circumstance. Be brave!

Anyone with kids at school heard of this?

My son is off school today with a bad cold and feeling achey and generally run down. No temperature or persistant cough or anything like that but he's perked up as the day has went on so was planning to send him back tomorrow. Phoned his school this morning to advise he wouldn't be in and wivey never even asked reason why. I'm not long off the phone to my wifes friend who's son is off school for the same reason (he goes to a different school). She (wifes pal) also works in her sons school as well. She had been told by the headteacher that if a child shows any typical COVID symptoms or anything from a runny nose, sore head, watery eyes that they MUST be tested before they can return and all individuals within the household should self isolate for 14 days and that this was the local authorities guidelines as off 9am yesterday. She also said there had been numerous kids sent home with what looked like mild illnesses.

Now, is she on the wind up or have I been living under a rock and not known about this?.....oh and do I send him back with a cold regardless?

Mine aren’t allowed back until negative tests after cough/temp at weekend of half sister. Son had bit cough too but not one I would say was ‘persistent’. 
Seems schools asking for anyone with any symptoms produce a negative test, hence centres mobbed weekend just past.

Loads of kids will be getting colds and sniffles as they are all chucked back in together after months apart (ish).  My wee boy had a sniffle after going back to nursery, well I say sniffle he had a persistent cough, pretty hot and he kept pointing towards his mouth and nose saying "daddy no taste, ddaddy no smell, help"!  Kids!  They come out with some nonsense!

Anyway, I hope he's enjoying the nursery day out to the local cancer ward and care home today.

20 minutes ago, Raithie said:

My son is off school today with a bad cold and feeling achey and generally run down. No temperature or persistant cough or anything like that but he's perked up as the day has went on so was planning to send him back tomorrow. Phoned his school this morning to advise he wouldn't be in and wivey never even asked reason why. I'm not long off the phone to my wifes friend who's son is off school for the same reason (he goes to a different school). She (wifes pal) also works in her sons school as well. She had been told by the headteacher that if a child shows any typical COVID symptoms or anything from a runny nose, sore head, watery eyes that they MUST be tested before they can return and all individuals within the household should self isolate for 14 days and that this was the local authorities guidelines as off 9am yesterday. She also said there had been numerous kids sent home with what looked like mild illnesses.

Now, is she on the wind up or have I been living under a rock and not known about this?.....oh and do I send him back with a cold regardless?

I can roll with it up until the highlighted part. Heading in to winter cold season we'd be as well going back to full lockdown if that's the case.

Just now, jimbaxters said:

I can roll with it up until the highlighted part. Heading in to winter cold season we'd be as well going back to full lockdown if that's the case.

That was my arguement, it would end up scenarios of no kids being at school and no parents at work. My wifes pal has said she has now had to go and trace where she's been and start notifying people and even if her sons test comes back negative he can't be back at school for 10 days. It all sounded a bit mental but she said the testing centre she went to was absolutely rammed and when asked if her son was her only child (she has 4) the guy had said "see you back here in about a week".

Just now, Raithie said:

That was my arguement, it would end up scenarios of no kids being at school and no parents at work. My wifes pal has said she has now had to go and trace where she's been and start notifying people and even if her sons test comes back negative he can't be back at school for 10 days. It all sounded a bit mental but she said the testing centre she went to was absolutely rammed and when asked if her son was her only child (she has 4) the guy had said "see you back here in about a week".

The testing centres will be more overwhelmed than the NHS were/would be at the height of outbreak.

19 minutes ago, Raithie said:

My stepdaughter's wee girl got sent home today with a tickly cough. No other symptoms and told she can't come back until a negative test is provided. My Stepdaughter then called NHS to book a test and was told that the entire covid booking system for Scotland is currently down and the only one showing in the system as available for a drive through test is Aberdeen.

It's a complete fucking nonsense, we're going into Autumn in one of the most windy, rain-sodden countries in the world. The common cold will circulate en-masse as it does every year, and it will do so at a far higher rate than covid. There has to be a better system than sending every child who clears their throat home and banishing them from School.

44 positive cases from almost 20 000 tests, no news headlines had to go digging for it, contrast to other day with HIGHEST NUMBER FOR 3 MONTHS NS CONSIDERS FURTHER LOCKDOWN FOR TAYSIDE .  no news from America anymore either ( cases are levelling off)  looks like Brexit will be back to take the Christmas number one for the 4th year running

Just now, djchapsticks said:

My stepdaughter's wee girl got sent home today with a tickly cough. No other symptoms and told she can't come back until a negative test is provided. My Stepdaughter then called NHS to book a test and was told that the entire covid booking system for Scotland is currently down and the only one showing in the system as available for a drive through test is Aberdeen.

It's a complete fucking nonsense, we're going into Autumn in one of the most windy, rain-sodden countries in the world. The common cold will circulate en-masse as it does every year, and it will do so at a far higher rate than covid. There has to be a better system than sending every child who clears their throat home and banishing them from School.

Was the rest of household told to self isolate until such time as test came back negative? Interestingly when my wifes pal was asked by the headteacher  if her son was coughing she said that because he's sniffly it's going to the back of his throat so he has coughed. They queries how often he was coughing in 1 hour and she said once and was told that would be enough reason to get tested. 

Just now, Raithie said:

Was the rest of household told to self isolate until such time as test came back negative? Interestingly when my wifes pal was asked by the headteacher  if her son was coughing she said that because he's sniffly it's going to the back of his throat so he has coughed. They queries how often he was coughing in 1 hour and she said once and was told that would be enough reason to get tested. 

Nope. Nothing of the sort was said.

4 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

44 positive cases from almost 20 000 tests, no news headlines had to go digging for it, contrast to other day with HIGHEST NUMBER FOR 3 MONTHS NS CONSIDERS FURTHER LOCKDOWN FOR TAYSIDE .  no news from America anymore either ( cases are levelling off)  looks like Brexit will be back to take the Christmas number one for the 4th year running

Never thought I’d see the day when I’d be glad to see Brexit dominating the news! 

9 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The local papers on FB are having a field day. The Dobbies canteen in Ayr had a positive covid case, and some wean at a nursery in Troon has “it” as well. Some of the comments range from wanting schools/nurseries closed again, to us being back in lockdown. Minters 😂

I said it before and i'll say it again, the full time mummys , pensioners and long term unemployed ( the most vocal on facebook) were quite happy to see lockdown as a lot of them probably didn't have much of a life anyway and enjoyed the lazieness and the fact that others were in the same boat as them and it was now THEIR turn to preach and talk down to others

"just WHAT are you playing at NICOLA"

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

3 hours ago, Snafu said:

Any truth to the story that the wearing of face masks in schools in England has been ruled out by the PM?

That was the official line down south this morning (Business Secretary Alok Sharma 11:39) but BJ has just announced this will change if advice from their scientific/medical advisors recommends it - so next week at the latest. 

Edited by btb

30 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

said it before and i'll say it again, the full time mummys , pensioners and long term unemployed ( the most vocal on facebook) were quite happy to see lockdown as a lot of them probably didn't have much of a life anyway and enjoyed the lazieness and the fact that others were in the same boat as them and it was now THEIR turn to preach and talk down to others

"Quite happy". Maybe those who couldn't make it to any friends or family funerals were a bit peeved.

If anyone in a household shows symptoms, that person should be tested and the whole househould has to self-isolate until a negative result comes back. Happened to me last week.