Coronavirus (COVID-19)

18 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

My ma was saying the student halls she works in had the polis called in last night after people were alleging there were 150 students having a massive party 😂

They should have had the parties in classrooms with 33 in there at one time, then they'd have been absolutely fine.

10 minutes ago, renton said:

It seems pretty unlikely that we will get through the next couple of weeks without increasing the numbers, what with the Students being back. Halls or residence must be a bit of a planning nightmare for public health officials.

I reckon the government can say what they want, students (especially first years) will want some semblance of Freshers week to remain. 

1 hour ago, Qos91 said:

I had a really bad virus around November into December too. Couldnt taste or smell anything for weeks and had the worst cough I'd ever had. The cough lingered for months.
Almost everyone at my work got ill around the same time. Some of them quite bad.

Chances are it probably wasnt Covid if theyve never proven it was around in the UK back then but seemed to be very similar symptoms.

I had that in November last year as well, just your bog standard irritating virus with a cough that hung around forever. When I came back from Thailand in early February with the cough I had had for the last 3 months I was told to GTF from work until I had been tested negative, 'twas all very confusing.

The interesting with the students will be them being told to stay at their Uni city if there is another lockdown. I would worry about the toll in students mental health. 

I think the Unis should be doing everything they can to stop flat parties particularly in halls but I doubt it will be very easy to do unless they got heavy handed with the punishments.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Why does everyone act as though "students" are one monolithic, brainless entity with no regard for law and order?

Dundee^

^ Stirling

^ Edinburgh

^ Glasgow

Taking the piss as most students will obey the law I doubt many will sit about their tiny flat in their first taste of freedom, ever, or for a significant period of time. They will make risk based judgements and the risk is low but if they are to return to classes then who knows who they could pass the virus to and that's when the Universities need to step in as they have a duty of care of everyone at the University.

How long has it been since they imposed restrictions on Glasgow? Doesn't seem to be doing much so far.
This is just the 2nd full week if I mind right, the numbers aren't climbing higher so I think it is having an impact but as you saw from the first time round it's a while before you see it drop.

Lanarkshire is still going up so I think you'll see 100+ cases here shortly before it levels off.

1 minute ago, MP_MFC said:

This is just the 2nd full week if I mind right, the numbers aren't climbing higher so I think it is having an impact but as you saw from the first time round it's a while before you see it drop.

Lanarkshire is still going up so I think you'll see 100+ cases here shortly before it levels off.

Well, 105 in Glasgow and Greater Clyde Health board today, 60 odds in Lanarkshire.

Shite weekend for case numbers.

30 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Why does everyone act as though "students" are one monolithic, brainless entity with no regard for law and order?

It's a popular P&B trope. There's still folk who think all students go around saying '"random" all the time and that they all vote Labour.

Just now, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Watch the same people who were applauding Nicola and Jason using "common sense" by bundling kids into classrooms for 6 hours a day blame the rapidly escalating case numbers on "they students" in the next couple of months.

The lad Devi Sridhar is blaming rising case numbers on people going abroad on holiday 😂

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It's a popular P&B trope. There's still folk who think all students go around saying '"random" all the time and that they all vote Labour.

Hopefully they're still using "literally" out of context like they were in my Dundee Uni days. Like literally every 2 seconds.

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Accompanied by middle aged men making thinly veiled references to being humongous shaggers in their own student days, with tales that are definitely 1) true and 2) not cringeworthy in the slightest.

42 minutes ago, renton said:

How long has it been since they imposed restrictions on Glasgow? Doesn't seem to be doing much so far.

It's almost as if there has been one big sector 'reopened' in the past month with no credible restrictions that is keeping case numbers rolling along. 

10 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The lad Devi Sridhar is blaming rising case numbers on people going abroad on holiday 😂

The Glasgow Fair holiday being famous of course for taking place in the last two weeks of August. 

There's quite clearly no objective analysis going on at an advisory level either here or south of the border: it is just a whack a mole strategy based on who the government thinks it can blame (footballers!!!!, empties!!!!!!, youths!!!!!!!!, going on holiday!!!!!, people drinking!!!!, the devil's instruments playing in pubs!!!!!) while avoiding pissing off their protected interest groups. 

Absolute NAP that students!!!!!! will go on the granny-killing list by the end of the month. 

I’ve just finished self isolating after testing positive. Was ill for about 10 days, just felt like a really bad flu. Took the test on the off chance due to how long it was lasting. I suspect I got it via the weans most likely as there were positive cases at their school, and had hardly been out the two weeks prior to symptoms.

I was really disappointed with T&T, I got my results back on the Wednesday and it took until the Saturday for them to contact me for close contacts. They didn’t contact close contacts for another 2-3 days after, of which one of them finished their self isolation period on the same day!

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/the-level-of-ambition-set-out-is-enormous-and-it-is-unclear-how-and-whether-it-could-be-delivered-on-timeoperation-moonshot/

The UK Government’s Moonshot Covid testing programme cannot be delivered on schedule, the Scottish Government’s most senior scientific advisers fear.

A leaked report reveals the team advising Scots ministers believe the plan, revealed last week, is hugely ambitious but question if it can be achieved to the timescales proposed.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has said her government is “hooked in” to talks on the Moonshot plan but independent experts have warned her against rushing to support the Prime Minister’s proposal, with one describing Moonshot as “pie in the sky”.

Mr Johnson’s £100bn plan aims to deliver 10 million Covid-19 tests every day by spring. The plan involves tests which provide rapid results in minutes despite the fact the science to produce those tests does not yet exist.

A timid pushback by focusing on the timeframe of the plan rather than its contents also being a crock of utter shite tbh.