Coronavirus (COVID-19)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53511877

City of Dundee case rates - 111.2 per 100k

Inverclyde - 39.8 per 100k

Only one of the above areas has had its hospitality entirely closed down because of the spread of the big bad virus as of Friday afternoon under the SG's evidence-led restrictions. By sheer coincidence it also had its school holidays scheduled for this week!

Edited by vikingTON

32 minutes ago, virginton said:

Only one of the above areas has had its hospitality entirely closed down because of the spread of the big bad virus as of Friday afternoon under the SG's evidence-led restrictions. By sheer coincidence it also had its school holidays scheduled for this week!

I take it the ferries to Dunoon and Rothesay will be chockers this weekend.

Has there been any justification for why Inverclyde is hit with restrictions in the same way as the rest of the Central Belt? Or is this just a blanket by-health board approach? Bit crap for the areas who aren’t rammed with infection.

Must admit that I am more receptive to the idea about schools being a big problem (always believed that universities were an issue, I don’t see how anyone could argue otherwise) . It might help if the stats actually went by institution and percentages of new cases in the area so we could get a clearer picture of the impact of different age groups in schools as to inform future action.

Has there been any justification for why Inverclyde is hit with restrictions in the same way as the rest of the Central Belt? Or is this just a blanket by-health board approach? Bit crap for the areas who aren’t rammed with infection.

East Lothian is the same. Pretty low numbers but because we are part of NHS Lothian we get hit with the same restrictions as the rest of Health Board area.

A more practical way might be to use Local Authority areas but that could get a bit messy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53511877 City of Dundee case rates - 111.2 per 100k Inverclyde - 39.8 per 100k Only one of the above areas has had its hospitality entirely closed down because of the spread of the big bad virus as of Friday afternoon under the SG's evidence-led restrictions. By sheer coincidence it also had its school holidays scheduled for this week!  

You do realise that most of those Dundee infections are in the 2 universities student residences and not schools?    

The only current case with a link to a Dundee school or nursery was on the 6 October in 2 staff members at the Jessie Porter nursery.

https://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/coronavirus/covid-19-cases-in-schools

The real moan should not be about Dundee but why Inverclyde has been lumped with the rest of Greater Glasgow.

Must admit that I am more receptive to the idea about schools being a big problem (always believed that universities were an issue, I don’t see how anyone could argue otherwise) . It might help if the stats actually went by institution and percentages of new cases in the area so we could get a clearer picture of the impact of different age groups in schools as to inform future action.
Can't talk for other LAs but Dundee have been very public in publishing the number of cases in DCC schools and nurseries.

Have other authorities done the same?

20 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Strange to see that report from Wuhan. Remember when they were first locked down seeing the videos come out of people on their balconies in tower blocks chanting nationalistic Chinese slogans such as "Wuhan, add oil!" to improve morale etc and thinking 'fair fucks to them that is enormous authoritarian state energy'. 

Then of course about a month later half of this country was out on the front doorstep banging pots and pans together every week which was kind of the same thing but significantly weirder. 

Them being justified in doing it given by the summer Wuhan was hosting massive pool party festivals whereas we'll be lucky to see Riverside 2021 with social distancing

Can't talk for other LAs but Dundee have been very public in publishing the number of cases in DCC schools and nurseries.

Have other authorities done the same?

I remember being sent a general document from my union, but I don’t think it’s information that’s immediately accessible as a stat in Edinburgh Council, although I’m not management so I’m maybe not on that mailing list. I could also be wrong and totally looking in the wrong place.

I did mean the other graphs and stats folk are quoting in here though. ‘Education’ is quite a broad setting and doesn’t differentiate between primary, secondary, university or halls.

I remember being sent a general document from my union, but I don’t think it’s information that’s immediately accessible as a stat in Edinburgh Council, although I’m not management so I’m maybe not on that mailing list. I could also be wrong and totally looking in the wrong place.

I did mean the other graphs and stats folk are quoting in here though. ‘Education’ is quite a broad setting and doesn’t differentiate between primary, secondary, university or halls.
DCC has a page on the council website which is updated with information regards which schools and nurseries have infections, the numbers infected, and the action being taken.

I was wondering how many other LAs were doing the same?

11 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

DCC has a page on the council website which is updated with information regards which schools and nurseries have infections, the numbers infected, and the action being taken.

I was wondering how many other LAs were doing the same?

Renfrewshire are updating social media channels with similar.

17 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
55 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:
A reasonably alarming graphic until you realise each of the red areas has between 5-8 apart from Perth Road (student flats) which has 30.
With each datazone being around 5000 people you only need 5 to go from white to red

Screenshot_20201012-212026_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cb345ea835e4f368e8818cc267751fb8.jpg

Do you have the link to that?

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Might just take you to main page but along top there are tabs and you can go to neighbourhood reports and different LAs are in dropdown.

Edited by invergowrie arab