Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Apparently there’s going to be an anti-mask, Coronavirus-is-scam rally in Inverness on the 25th. Their Facebook ad claims the new restrictions are, and I quote, “unappropriate”.

Pesky students. 

Three students who were meant to be self isolating fined £10,000 for holding a party at the University of East Anglia.

The English courts don't mess about.

The buggers would probably be admonished up here.

I can imagine the phone call home afterwards though: "Dad...have you got 10k to tide me over...."

6 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Three students who were meant to be self isolating fined £10,000 for holding a party at the University of East Anglia.

I can imagine the phone call home afterwards though: "Dad...have you got 10k to tide me over...."

Neither does the IOM - five workers went there from England and were jailed for 14 days because they went into Tesco after coming off the ferry. They stood out in the shop because they were wearing masks :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-54360825

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

A reasonably alarming graphic until you realise each of the red areas has between 5-8 apart from Perth Road (student flats) which has 30.

With each datazone being around 5000 people you only need 5 to go from white to red

Noticed something similar with Edinburgh last week - the neighbourhood around Edinburgh University's Pollock Halls had a rate of over 2,000 cases per 100k, compared to ~150 for the city!

10 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Them being justified in doing it given by the summer Wuhan was hosting massive pool party festivals whereas we'll be lucky to see Riverside 2021 with social distancing

WHAT THE f**k, riverside 2021.....playing tunes, I should never here....crying weans, drunk weegies....I TOTally dig that....

You know already I'll be the old c**t at the back, give the lessons to "dance"........high 5ivein 16 yo.   cool as f**k....

i'll pm you another tune later, yer 9 mins of freedom was enough for 6 days ffs.

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Let's see what they do when its a theatre in London, and not students in Norwich.

EkJyhxEWkAcEVb4.thumb.jpeg.5e374c845cbe03ebdf8dc364267e1572.jpeg

EkHKvTNXgAIApOY.thumb.jpeg.c51d33b60fe86668d63e1b5fefa3545d.jpeg

Edited by RandomGuy.

My work have now said we have to wear masks around the office. They have essentially made us come back to office despite all of us being able to work from home. Hope someone in the office gets it just to see their reaction

5 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

They will probably try and find someone to discipline to take the heat of themselves.

On a separate note regarding the testing, my wife works in HDU yet has never once been tested,  I work in a GP practice yet have never had a mandatory test apart from when at the start I had a routine bug.  We are both obviously frontline seeing very vulnerable patients every day, I have to do housecalls which includes a nursing home in the area but I'm not being tested.

Seems a bit peculiar as surely we have the potential to be spreading it to extremely vulnerable people especially if we're asymptomatic.  Who knows how they categorise how folk get tested but it seems odd that someone in critical care isn't routinely tested.

Have you asked for one? Have you been given any reason? I presume they are only testing if symptomatic, which, given all we know about the virus now seems, erm, fucking stupid? 

Just now, Tynierose said:

No, I'm just finding it odd that they aren't routinely testing frontline critical care staff who are potentially dealing with the most vulnerable and could well by carrying the virus asymptomatically and passing it on.

Totally agree. Sounds fucking stupid. 

My wife is a biomedical scientist at (hospital removed). she does all the blood tests, but also has to go to icu to help out with certain tests that must be read while the blood is drawn (this could be wrong, I'm at the absolute limit of my understanding here). She's never been tested either, and management have suppressed whenever anyone in her dept has been off isolating. 

She was off becuase I was shielding and when she fi ally went back, noone was masking, no sanitiser nothing - management decided it was up to the individual if they wanted to mask. What the actual f**k 

There was an outbreak in a cancer ward at the Western General last week, fairly worrying as my wife’s uncle was in being treated for cancer. Not his ward and he was sent home.

I haven’t heard of that many hospital outbreaks in Scotland, aside from that one. There was an outbreak in a hospital in South Wales that caused a number of deaths earlier this month.

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I'll be surprised if these fines ever end up being paid. They're draconian and will probably at some point down the like be ruled unfair. 

Paper here examining seasonality that concludes that tenp/weather itself is not a massive factor (which doesn't count the fact that people are more likely to be inside during winter) 

Edited by madwullie

Just now, Michael W said:

I'll be surprised if these fines ever end up being paid. They're draconian and will probably at some point down the like be ruled unfair. 

Given the compete arse they've made of any "convictions" up till now, I would also be surprised at this. 

Unless of course they've learned from the mistakes they made previously (which would also be extremely surprising) 

3 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Yeh saw that, used to work there.    The masterplan of keeping everyone pretty much out of hospital has reduced that risk. 

Shame its killing the same patients by keeping them out of hospital for the procedures they need mind you.

As I said last week there are referrals from December still not been seem yet, the rhetoric from down south saying services may well be pulled due to increased resources being needed for Covid may well be replicated here.

If that does happen then forget about it, you will need to go private to have anything done if you don't fancy a two year wait for your hip replacement etc.

Cancer services are also behind where they should be time wise.  Its going to be  an interesting winter, just don't get sick unless you're able to afford private healthcare.

It may well be fine though, as long as you can go a walk in the rain and create your own sunshine like Devi.

This was political broadcast by your local Conservative Candidate.

The caring Party.

3 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Given the compete arse they've made of any "convictions" up till now, I would also be surprised at this. 

Unless of course they've learned from the mistakes they made previously (which would also be extremely surprising) 

Powers the government gave itself to rule by decree, following Parliament giving them approval to do so.

Im sure there will be many examples of people being fined less, but interesting that the maximum has been fined on several occasions for what appears to be a first offence.