Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 hours ago, Steven W said:

I've long suspected that the SFA will not allow fans until OF fans can attend. Beginning to look that way now.

Fans have already been at games this season m8.

41 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I don't remember getting a choice in school with vaccinations.

I also remember not having a choice like the rest of the boys in my year to have my balls felt by a nurse to check and see if everything was normal.

Your parents had that choice. (The first one, not whether or not you got felt up by the nurse) 

Furious mum bins £23 takeaway and calls cops after hearing about delivery driver's holiday

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/furious-mum-bins-23-takeaway-22952254
A mum binned a £23 takeaway and phoned the police because she thought the delivery driver should be self-isolating.
The 41-year-old, who asked not to be named, ordered from her local Chinese restaurant.
But she was told the Norton China driver had just come back from a holiday to Greece.
She thought this was against the rules and threw out the pricey food before phoning police.
Stoke Sentinel reports that the woman assumed he should be in quarantine.
Fearing that he could be infected with the coronavirus, the Stoke woman binned the meal of chicken fried rice, chips and fillet Cantonese beef he'd dropped off.
Staffordshire Police has since confirmed the driver had been to Greece, but to an area that was not one from which people had to isolate on their return, the Daily Mirror reports.
The woman said she was worried about her son and elderly grandma.
"My concern isn’t really for myself, I'm not at risk," she said.
"But I am responsible for my grandma, who's 91, and is at high risk.
"And I have got a child too. I may as well have got £23 and put it in the bin because that’s what I did last night. I was so disappointed and very angry about it."
There are now only a handful of countries people living in the UK can visit without quarantining.
They are the Canary Islands, Gibraltar, Germany, Greece, Madeira, Azores, Maldives and Sweden.
A spokesperson for Staffordshire Police said: "We carried out enquiries and it's been deemed he went to a part of Greece where he didn't have to self-isolate on his return."
Our sister title Mirror Online attempted to contact Norton China for comment.
£23 for chicken fried rice and steak Cantonese style, f**k me !

18 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/a-bad-taste-mouth-scots-22953536

How can anyone pretend this country hasnt descended into Banana Republic status?

omuni

At least the company is a seemingly viable supplier of PPE (from the Record article: "Globus (Shetland) has been a main player in PPE and has won several industry awards in recent years".) Compared to the contracts that have been given to previously dormant companies or companies that appear just to have been set up to get these contracts and have no links with PPE supplies. The Good Law Project are challenging all of this, but it's beyond belief that there's not more of an outcry about all these incredibly dodgy contracts.

Edited by s_dog
add quote

5 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Are the UK government deliberately avoiding clarification on the furlough extension so to drag Scotland into an unnecessary lockdown? Both Wales and Northern Ireland have also repeatedly asked for confirmation and received nothing. Is this a war on small businesses, are they being sacrificed for the benefit of the biggest businesses such as the multi nationals who have been barely touched by the pandemic? Something is going on here and its not all about for the good of our health.

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/nicola-sturgeon-coronavirus-update-live-19217620

Kate Forbes said she has made four requests for a meeting with either Rishi Sunak or Chief Secretary to the Treasury Steve Barclay since the UK Government announced the extension of the furlough scheme, linked to confirmation of a second lockdown in England, on Saturday evening.

She she told MSPs at Holyrood these requests have not been granted.

Ms Forbes added: "One suspects because they still don't know what their own position is."

Her comments came as fears were raised that Scotland could have to announce its own lockdown if the UK Government fails to provide firm answers to Holyrood on the issue.

Can't figure out what they are trying to do. It's strange when you consider that Wales went into lockdown a week or so earlier than the decision for England to do the same, but were told that they couldn't bring forward the new job retention scheme, but as furlough wasn't ending until end of October, people that had previously been furloughed could re-apply. I think there is also a suggestion that extension of furlough and/or extra support was refused. Then you have the carry on with Manchester not wanting to go into the highest tier without more funding and being told no extra cash is available.

Only for a week or two later the decision made to extend furlough for a month because  the rest of England is going to lockdown. Then you have the prime minister saying it's available for everyone in the UK, but cabinet ministers then saying it's only available while England is in lockdown, and after that it'll be up to the chancellor. 

Could they be making more of a pigs arse of it if they tried?

39 minutes ago, s_dog said:

The Good Law Project are challenging all of this, but it's beyond belief that there's not more of an outcry about all these incredibly dodgy contracts.

I spent the entirety of 2020 laughing at Jolyon but he seems to be trying to redeem himself after the fox killing incident.

Attempting to effect progressive change through the courts is a fool's game though.

52 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Has there been any data released regarding patient outcomes in the second wave?

Are things any better results wise for those hospitalised this time round?

@john_actuary has done a nice review of this taken from ICNARC data.

Seems to be improvements in treatment.

https://mobile.twitter.com/john_actuary/status/1322473260739678208

@john_actuary has done a nice review of this taken from ICNARC data.
Seems to be improvements in treatment.
https://mobile.twitter.com/john_actuary/status/1322473260739678208
I'm slightly biased, but there has been a lot of good data published by the group he is a part of over the last few months.

https://twitter.com/COVID19actuary?s=09

While this is obviously very sad it's fortunate in a way that this happened precisely on the day before the tiers are reviewed when furlough has been extended

It’s been clear the last couple of days that there’s been an under-reporting of the numbers.

Hopefully that context is highlighted alongside the numbers later. Everything didn’t go to shit yesterday, we need to focus on the seven day average.

1 minute ago, true_rover said:

I'm slightly biased, but there has been a lot of good data published by the group he is a part of over the last few months.

https://twitter.com/COVID19actuary?s=09

Absolutely. The actuaries have been superb in their analysis.

Way back in March they dispelled the 'they would have died anyway' nonsense yet it is still spouted.

These are a group who understand very well the stats surrounding death.

They're my regular go to when ONS data is released.

I see from the evidence today that there has been a rise in cases noted.

Will be interesting to see how many and where and if any connection could be made to anything that has changed in those areas in the last week or two that may drive said rise.

37 minutes ago, beardy said:

Absolutely. The actuaries have been superb in their analysis.

Way back in March they dispelled the 'they would have died anyway' nonsense yet it is still spouted.

These are a group who understand very well the stats surrounding death.

They're my regular go to when ONS data is released.

^^^^ actuary IMO.