Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
44 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:
Similar here. It's the seeming opening of the flood gates in the lead up that gets me most.  We'll just come over to deliver christmas presents early, why not come over for lunch at the weekend? It's like folk think well if we get to do what we want for 5 days at christmas, why not just do what we want up until then as well?

Surprised all opposition parties are appearing to fall in line behind the Tories on this. Looks an open goal for Starmer to me.

If Starmer was to take a contradictory view the media would portray him as The Grinch That Tried To Steal Christmas from now until the next election.

18 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Tory Government: "Hello gormless inbred upper class incompetent friend of my wife's cousin. Would you like £200 million to keep a record of everyone who's given the vaccine for the government?"

Gormless Inbred Upper Class Incompetent: "Yes please"

Tory Government: "How many people have been vaccinated?"

Gormless Inbred Upper Class Incompetent: "Spreadsheet broke"

Tory Government: "Haha, jolly good. Not to worry"

They are using a table in word because the spreadsheets are unreliable 

Even on a clear, calm day I think the jet ski boy has done quite well to navigate the journey and make land more or less where he was aiming. I do wonder why he didn't just keep going down the IoM coast to Douglas, unless he was running out of petrol. 
He did the sail, the 15 mile walk and was then traced as having been in 2 night clubs. I might have needed a rest before I went to the dancing.
All in all a good effort though.

Presume he also put a decent shift in taking the hole off his mrs. Some effort

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
44 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:
Similar here. It's the seeming opening of the flood gates in the lead up that gets me most.  We'll just come over to deliver christmas presents early, why not come over for lunch at the weekend? It's like folk think well if we get to do what we want for 5 days at christmas, why not just do what we want up until then as well?

Surprised all opposition parties are appearing to fall in line behind the Tories on this. Looks an open goal for Starmer to me.

He'll be worried he's seen as trying to "cancel Christmas", or at least that'll be how it's painted. Heartless Starmer. 

It looked idiotic at the time but the closer it gets the more stupid this 5 day break is. Folk can argue all they want that folk will meet up anyway, but I can't help but think those that are having their grandparents round on Xmas day might think twice were this nonsense to get binned. 

If Starmer was to take a contradictory view the media would portray him as The Grinch That Tried To Steal Christmas from now until the next election.
Yep. Same goes for Sturgeon, etc.

Fully expect tier 4 restrictions in January and February for much of the country after Christmas is "saved".

14 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I'm quite surprised to find out the Isle of Man is only 25 miles off the coast of Scotland. I had it in my head that it was down near Liverpool/Wales way.

Confusing it with Anglesey?

That said I was on Formby beach north of Liverpool a few years ago and my phone said "Welcome to the Isle of Man". Gave P&B a break for a couple of hours in case I got charged international roaming rates.

Germany, the Netherlands and Czech Republic have all cancelled Christmas with lockdowns, so at least Good News Johnson won't have to be first. He'll make Hancock deliver it anyway. 

I fully understand the government was in a tough place with people who would do it anyway, but they have painted themselves into a corner by endorsing the lifting of restrictions and here we are with areas of the country being simultaneously punted into harsher restrictions. A farce. 

1 minute ago, Markka said:

Yep. Same goes for Sturgeon, etc.

Fully expect tier 4 restrictions in January and February for much of the country after Christmas is "saved".

It's one of these ones where from a selfish point of view, I want the restrictions lifted for christmas, overall I think it's a terrible idea but also whilst I disagree with the position taken by both governments, I completely understand why they did it.

If they refused to lift restrictions for christmas, I think you'd see unrest and breaking of the rules on an enormous scale. So many people would flout the rules that it'd be impossible to police, it'd have an effect on infection rates anyway and you'd see a big divide between those who broke the rules and those who stuck by them being, justifiably, furious.

Germany, the Netherlands and Czech Republic have all cancelled Christmas with lockdowns, so at least Good News Johnson won't have to be first. He'll make Hancock deliver it anyway. 
I fully understand the government was in a tough place with people who would do it anyway, but they have painted themselves into a corner by endorsing the lifting of restrictions and here we are with areas of the country being simultaneously punted into harsher restrictions. A farce. 

You realise that both the German and Dutch lockdowns have special rules to allow households to mix over the Christmas period?

In fact, the Dutch one allows every household to have 2 adult guests (extended to 3 from 24-26 December) so it’s less restrictive than even tier 2 here.

You realise that both the German and Dutch lockdowns have special rules to allow households to mix over the Christmas period?

In fact, the Dutch one allows every household to have 2 adult guests (extended to 3 from 24-26 December) so it’s less restrictive than even tier 2 here.

Some detail of the German one below-:

A maximum of five people from no more than two households are allowed to gather in a home. But this will be relaxed from 24 to 26 December when one household will be able to invite a maximum of four close family members from other households.

5 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Two pals from Amsterdam?81hSJo76oTL._SS500_.jpg

5 year old granddaughter has to self isolate for 10 days as someone in contact with her class has tested positive for COVID-19 (we've deduced it's the teacher). P2s have also to self isolate. Also means her big brother has to stay at home too. And the one in the middle won't be going to his school, either.

10 days of self isolation from yesterday, as far as I can gather. (The contact was listed as 11th December.)

Not sure how stringent the self isolation will be as they are all in the same house, and the two boys share a bedroom. If there are no symptoms by the end of the week she might be O.K.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

It's beyond unbelievable. Give someone a vaccine, update their health record. What's fucking difficult?

Or just get each vaccination unit to update a central database with their total at the end of their shift.

7 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Some detail of the German one below-:

A maximum of five people from no more than two households are allowed to gather in a home. But this will be relaxed from 24 to 26 December when one household will be able to invite a maximum of four close family members from other households.

Yeah, I think we are one of the most restrictive in Europe when it comes to indoor household visits

4 hours ago, RiG said:

Gavin Williamson has written to schools in Greenwich telling them to reopen. Rather bizarrely the later is dated December 2010.

I teach in a primary school bordering Greenwich and we've had to close this week after 10 positive tests among children, 8 among staff (with 1 hospitalised) and a further 17 staff and 120 children self isolating.

The kids doing remote learning this week will actually receive more lesson time than they would have in school as there are no Christmas parties/Christmas assemblies/nativity plays clogging up the timetable.

All the children have received individual feedback on their work, and I've spoken to every parent and child by phone in the last 2 days.

Forcing everyone to pile back into schools for the sake of 4 days serves no benefit to anyone and is the behaviour of a sociopath.

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

The media portrayal of this new strain is pretty much why a few 10s of thousands more folk than is necessary will be claiming UC before 2021 is out. Fucking ridiculous scaremongering. Meanwhile the warning signs of govt failure to do an even semi decent job of getting the vaccine out are clear already.