Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I teach in a primary school bordering Greenwich and we've had to close this week after 10 positive tests among children, 8 among staff (with 1 hospitalised) and a further 17 staff and 120 children self isolating.

The kids doing remote learning this week will actually receive more lesson time than they would have in school as there are no Christmas parties/Christmas assemblies/nativity plays clogging up the timetable.

All the children have received individual feedback on their work, and I've spoken to every parent and child by phone in the last 2 days.

Forcing everyone to pile back into schools for the sake of 4 days serves no benefit to anyone and is the behaviour of a sociopath.

Well that's us all fucked in that case, but since your in a Greenwich especially you!  what is your union saying about this nonsense?

He'll be worried he's seen as trying to "cancel Christmas", or at least that'll be how it's painted. Heartless Starmer. 
It looked idiotic at the time but the closer it gets the more stupid this 5 day break is. Folk can argue all they want that folk will meet up anyway, but I can't help but think those that are having their grandparents round on Xmas day might think twice were this nonsense to get binned. 
Starmer has just called for an urgent COBRA meeting and Gove has announced that there will be a 4 nation conference call to discuss the relaxations this afternoon. Looks like someone is going to be portrayed as the Grinch !

If Starmer does call for the restrictions to be re-imposed then it's an absolute NAP he's photoshopped as The Grinch in at least one of the tabloids tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Well that's us all fucked in that case, but since your in a Greenwich especially you!  what is your union saying about this nonsense?

The NEU haven't said anything yet, although the headteachers' union leader has been on the news a lot, as for a while the government has been quietly threatening individual schools who wanted to move to remote learning.

Should also be pointed out that Basildon council in Essex has allowed its schools to shut this week without the DfE threatening to sue them. Coincidentally, Basildon is Tory run while Greenwich is Labour.

59 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

They've actually just got Hancock on the door holding a tally counter.

I heard he was keeping count on his fingers and toes. He should have drafted in a Fifer.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

Tory Government: "Hello gormless inbred upper class incompetent friend of my wife's cousin. Would you like £200 million to keep a record of everyone who's given the vaccine for the government?"

Gormless Inbred Upper Class Incompetent: "Yes please"

Tory Government: "How many people have been vaccinated?"

Gormless Inbred Upper Class Incompetent: "Spreadsheet broke"

Tory Government: "Haha, jolly good. Not to worry"

twit.thumb.jpg.240078203e95cc3c5e5cfb1332e3d514.jpg

5 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

The NEU haven't said anything yet, although the headteachers' union leader has been on the news a lot, as for a while the government has been quietly threatening individual schools who wanted to move to remote learning.

Should also be pointed out that Basildon council in Essex has allowed its schools to shut this week without the DfE threatening to sue them. Coincidentally, Basildon is Tory run while Greenwich is Labour.

FFS with this and all the other shite theyv manged since the start of this , i'm sure  if you listen carefully you can hear all the 3rd world countries we used to sneer at laughing at us

The media portrayal of this new strain is pretty much why a few 10s of thousands more folk than is necessary will be claiming UC before 2021 is out. Fucking ridiculous scaremongering. Meanwhile the warning signs of govt failure to do an even semi decent job of getting the vaccine out are clear already.
When Hancock first came out with it yesterday my first thoughts were that this will never end. A bit of reading would suggest that mutation is normal and it's nothing to be concerned about, albeit scientists will obviously keep an eye on it. The Metro's front page today of "MUTANT COVID" was ridiculous. The media as much as politicians need scrutinised when this is all over but I severely doubt that will happen.

The more I think about it the more I feel that Hancock's comments yesterday were to try and scare people into not meeting up over Christmas rather than having to tell the public that restrictions remain in place.

7 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

When Hancock first came out with it yesterday my first thoughts were that this will never end. A bit of reading would suggest that mutation is normal and it's nothing to be concerned about, albeit scientists will obviously keep an eye on it. The Metro's front page today of "MUTANT COVID" was ridiculous. The media as much as politicians need scrutinised when this is all over but I severely doubt that will happen.

The more I think about it the more I feel that Hancock's comments yesterday were to try and scare people into not meeting up over Christmas rather than having to tell the public that restrictions remain in place.

The British media are a shambles with the written press an embarrassing joke.

Click bait style headlines to direct traffic to their failing publications.    

You'd find higher quality writing from a primary school publication.

27 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Can anyone think of a reason that cases have continued to rise over the past few months when they were decreasing in the summer? 🤔

Here is a study from an unverified Twitter account saying it's no the schools cause ma two huvny hud it