Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, s_dog said:

It's hoped by most people that lockdowns will be unnecessary once all the vulnerable/at-risk are vaccinated, not that there won't be any restrictions, except of course by some people who can't appear to differentiate between the two and appear to think shouting it as often as possible makes it a fact. 

😂 Ok m8, that's definitely what's happening here.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
30 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:
I agree we should still have measures in place until we get the over 50s vaccinated but those should be, minimal household visitors, table service in pubs/restaurants, social distancing and mask wearing along with the other more obvious measures. 
As soon as the most at risk are vaccinated and the immunity period has passed we need a massive roll back of the restrictions. 

I mean, I am slightly biased here as a big fan of pubs, but table service in pubs until the over 50s are done seems OTT to me.

Table service in pubs is one thing I'd quite happily keep if done  correctly. If you're in a decent pub and the staff know what they're doing, it's just a matter of getting your timings right and you have a fresh pint in front of you just as your finishing the last one and you don't have to face the hassle  of jostling at the bar with a bunch of arseholes waving a five pound note around.

People are always so anti-mask.   "I cant see as well"   "My ears hurt"   "Why's my mask not as snazzy as my Janets?"   

It's frustrating when there's upsides to mask wearage.    For example, did you know that human fly swallowing was down 43% in 2020?    And I knew an old lady that swallowed a fly.   I don't know why she swallowed a fly.   If only she wore a cotton layered face covering she might not be dead.   

11 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Table service in pubs is one thing I'd quite happily keep if done  correctly. If you're in a decent pub and the staff know what they're doing, it's just a matter of getting your timings right and you have a fresh pint in front of you just as your finishing the last one and you don't have to face the hassle  of jostling at the bar with a bunch of arseholes waving a five pound note around.

You won't be saying that when the cost of the extra staff is absorbed into the price of that tasty fresh pint now will you?

15 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Yes, although it's not a specific target, just a suggestion that's what the aim is for now. Although this is from the BBC, and isn't specifically for Scotland , but we are broadly the same (UK Gov saying mid-Feb for over-70's, Scot Gov say they are aiming for a similar time-frame but target is end of Feb, for example).

vaccinate every care home resident by the end of January
everyone over 70 and anyone who is clinically extremely vulnerable by mid-February
the rest of the priority groups after that, possibly by May 

Priority groups are: all the various health & social care staff, everyone over 50 and 16- to 64-year-olds with serious underlying health conditions.

Cheers. 

There's really no excuse why we can't be back to normal by June/July if the vulnerable/elderly etc are vaccinated and there is no longer pressure on the NHS from Covid. 

There really should be a clearer roadmap out of this in terms of what restrictions could/will be lifted once we hit x% of vaccinations. Still feels like we're completely in the dark about the end goal. I don't know if it's a case of politicians being too scared to miss targets/deadlines or more about being unsure about the effectiveness of the vaccine. But with the message last year being all about how we need a vaccine to get out of this mess, I thought now that we have one - more than one - that's now rolling out, that we would have a better understanding of timeframes. 

Edited by Slacker

Absolutely this. I'm not the first, and I probably won't be the last, but the shopping rules should be:
1. No mask, no entry, no exceptions. If you can't wear a facecovering for twenty minutes walking round a shop, you aren't safe to be out unsupervised, which leads neatly to:
2. Shopping is not a social activity. One trolley/basket, one shopper. No exceptions.
If you have issues with "ma assma!" then get someone else to pop to Tesco for you. Other supermarkets/bullshit justifications are available.

Hopefully it will put an end to the strutting maskless tweenie balls of testosterone that seem to inhabit our local supermarket.

Leitch was tee’d up for his......”I’m really surprised at how well the vaccine rollout is going, really surprised” statement. If one of those limp noodles who get to ask the questions had spent two minutes scrutinising the numbers, they would have seen that it merited challenging the FM. I’m still going to give Sturgeon the benefit of the doubt re guiding us out of this, but as to how someone as inept as Freecringe gets into a position of making vaccine predictions/promises....beggars belief.

39 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Our local GP practice has announced that they will start vaccinations "soon" and that it will be at weekends only.

Bizarre. I wonder if it's supply or staff availability that has made them weekend only.

25 minutes ago, 101 said:

Bizarre. I wonder if it's supply or staff availability that has made them weekend only.

No idea. Dunno if it’s to keep folk separate from run of the mill I’ll people attending the doctor, or one of the reasons you mentioned. It’s not a massive practice.  Around 12,000 patients I think.