Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Wow James Melville Twitter wanksocket who has spent ten months downplaying Covid and berating lockdowns as unnecessary has been admitted to hospital.........with Covid.

Quite rare to see one of the #FBPE darlings being a lockdown sceptic. Lock everyone up was the common theme of that particular Twitter subset, with the Brexiters of course pushing the other way. 

Just now, Rob1885 said:

That's the issue though Bob, you've every right to be on the road but so does everyone else.

it's the classic maw FB status "I was in tesco the other day and couldn't believe how busy it was, this isnt a real lockdown". The irony being (which is completely lost on most) is that they are contributing towards how busy it is.

Tbh I am very angry at Nicola Sturgeon.

Both my parents are 64, smokers for over fifty years, dad diabetic, mum high blood pressure.

Both have been classed 'moderate risk' by their doctors.  Not shielding but more at risk than average person.

In March NS decided it wasn't safe for either to go back to work, so they were off for 11 weeks or whatever.

Now with cases higher than March its apparently safe for them to go back to work now.

My dad works in a factory, masks are not mandatory inside factories, NS did not make them so, so people don't wear them. 700 people work there. 

My mum does a job in social care respite care for adults with learning disabilities, impossible to do this job and socially distance.  Was closed in March, open now.

I support the SNP and independence, but if either of them gets Covid I'll spend the rest of my life trying to make sure the SNP don't win another election of any type.

NS is not doing all she could to protect us and our loved ones. She talks a good game, but shits out of taking the tough decisions for fear of being unpopular.  That's why it took her eight months to put any restrictions in on people coming here from England.

Just now, Michael W said:

Quite rare to see one of the #FBPE darlings being a lockdown sceptic. Lock everyone up was the common theme of that particular Twitter subset, with the Brexiters of course pushing the other way. 

He has a mental health grift though so this is a good angle.

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

This guy is a conspiracy theorist with this, its just classic cognitive dissonance really. He just can't accept it as its inconvenient for him and his life.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I said earlier, the limited driving I do has seen far quieter roads than I'd normally expect.

Yesterday I had to drive to Portobello and it seemed quieter in town and on the bypass.  It doesn't seem to be as quiet as March, when you could walk down the middle of main roads around where we were livign then but it's down compared to late last year.  I've been into a shop twice since the lockdown and it was very quiet as well.

I posted a tweet earlier in the thread comparing google data for retail and mobility in London and othe rcapitl cities, it looks significantly down on a few weeks ago, albeit not at the level of last March.

I'm pretty sure that experts know that realistically, it's almost impossible to get 100% compliance in a western country. We're just not wired to be controlled by diktat. 

People complied last March/April because they believed that by doing so everything would be good and life would be back to normal again by the summer. We were effectively told that by government (certainly the UK government). 

Now we all know otherwise, and some people are looking at lockdown in a different way. Why lock yourself in a cave for months, when it'll make no difference anyway ? We followed the rules 10 months ago, and where did that get us ? 

I know that it's not right, but it's only human nature. The only way the government can get a full-scale, nuclear lockdown compliance is by effectively imposing war-time laws on the whole country. 

Maybe it'll come to that, I don't know. But both Sturgeon and Johnson must know that they would be taking a political gamble by doing so....that's why it hasn't come that far. Yet.

22 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Given that it's reasonably early on a Monday morning, you've got to presume that the traffic on the road is almost exclusively people travelling to work ? 

It's hard to imagine people getting up on a dark, shitty Monday morning and saying 'hey, I fancy a wee jolly in the car. Senga, up ye get...'

Since everyone is adding personal anecdotes, I had to take Mrs Bob along to hospital last week for a check up. I thought the roads were quieter than normal, the vast majority of vehicles being of the white van variety driven by nutters who are always in a hurry to overtake on corners, hills etc. 

It's not quite last March, but it definitely felt quieter than usual. 

Yeah that’s my assumption too.  Far too many non-essential businesses still operating hence my opening comment “this isn’t a lockdown”.

If we really want to minimise transmission then only essential businesses should be operating.  Closing construction, manufacturing and all the support services to them would have an impact.

Tbh I am very angry at Nicola Sturgeon.

Both my parents are 64, smokers for over fifty years, dad diabetic, mum high blood pressure.
Both have been classed 'moderate risk' by their doctors.  Not shielding but more at risk than average person.
In March NS decided it wasn't safe for either to go back to work, so they were off for 11 weeks or whatever.
Now with cases higher than March its apparently safe for them to go back to work now.
My dad works in a factory, masks are not mandatory inside factories, NS did not make them so, so people don't wear them. 700 people work there. 
My mum does a job in social care respite care for adults with learning disabilities, impossible to do this job and socially distance.  Was closed in March, open now.
I support the SNP and independence, but if either of them gets Covid I'll spend the rest of my life trying to make sure the SNP don't win another election of any type.
NS is not doing all she could to protect us and our loved ones. She talks a good game, but shits out of taking the tough decisions for fear of being unpopular.  That's why it took her eight months to put any restrictions in on people coming here from England.
It's not for Nicola Sturgeon to make individual factories "covid secure". Thru have been told to demonstrate that themselves. If your dad has a problem with the way his workplace is being run he should raise it with his shop steward, the management or anonymously through the HSE website.*

*all of the above is what I would say to do in real life, so I guess it also applies to your strange fantasy scenario, the strangest of which being that your parents are only in their early sixties. Theres no way you arent an auld angry duffer.

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Whereas in principle I don't disagree with you, I would say that almost every elected leader worldwide faces the same dilemma. 

Every single decision Sturgeon, or Johnson, or Merkel, or Macron, or any leader takes, will be first of all analysed scientifically but also politically. What will be the fallout of this decision ? Will it be popular or hugely unpopular ? When is the next election ?

The way this pandemic is handled is just as political as dealing with an economic crash or crisis in government. They'll make you believe that it isn't, but it most certainly is. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It's not for Nicola Sturgeon to make individual factories "covid secure". Thru have been told to demonstrate that themselves. If your dad has a problem with the way his workplace is being run he should raise it with his shop steward, the management or anonymously through the HSE website.*

*all of the above is what I would say to do in real life, so I guess it also applies to your strange fantasy scenario, the strangest of which being that your parents are only in their early sixties. Theres no way you arent an auld angry duffer.

No but she can close them. They're open because she said they can open.  His workplace are fully compliant will all regulations, the problem is the regulations aren't strong enough. She can also mandate masks inside factories, she has not done so.

The rest of your schtick I will ignore.

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Whereas in principle I don't disagree with you, I would say that almost every elected leader worldwide faces the same dilemma. 

Every single decision Sturgeon, or Johnson, or Merkel, or Macron, or any leader takes, will be analysed scientifically but also politically. What will be the fallout of this decision ? Will it be popular or hugely unpopular ? When is the next election ?

The way this pandemic is handled is just as political as dealing with an economic crash or crisis in government. They'll make you believe that it isn't, but it most certainly is. 

I totally agree, she is putting her polling numbers above the lives of my parents.  That's what I'm angry about.

11 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

My dad works in a factory, masks are not mandatory inside factories, NS did not make them so, so people don't wear them. 700 people work there

Masks are not mandatory in non communal areas to me a factory floor as a communal area like a corridor would be in an office therefore a mask would be mandatory. Also that is the very minimum requirement so a wee call with the HSE to report that he feels unsafe would be wise

23 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

In comparison to March, we've a lot of things still open. Construction is still open, companies are still doing home deliveries, coffee and drive thru places are open and many shops are doing click and collect. If that was stopped traffic would drop. 

Home deliveries, coffee shops, drive throughs and click and collect were still allowed in March I think.

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

Masks are not mandatory in non communal areas to me a factory floor as a communal area like a corridor would be in an office therefore a mask would be mandatory. Also that is the very minimum requirement so a wee call with the HSE to report that he feels unsafe would be wise

They're mandatory inside shops, factories are no different except you spend ten times as long there with ten times as many people. Masks are not mandatory on factory floors, where my dad has to spend 80% of his time to do his job.

They've contacted HSE and been told they are not in breach of regulations. Well the regulations are clearly wrong then aren't they, and that's NS's responsibility.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I totally agree, she is putting her polling numbers above the lives of my parents.  That's what I'm angry about.

To continue the point I was stumbling to make, part of making political decisions during this pandemic is to make sure that the economy keeps moving to some extent. 

I'm absolutely certain that if Nicola Sturgeon listened 100% to the scientists then every single business and workplace would close for 4 months, we would all board ourselves into our houses, and we would be fed soup through our letterboxes once a day by the army in chemical weapons gear. 

But obviously she can't do that. So the inevitable consequence is that a certain amount of people will have to continue to go to work, and that a certain number of services will be allowed to remain open. It's all a balance. 

I don't know about your parent's personal circumstances, but the company they work for should have a good idea after 10 months of how to protect their employees, and they should be enacting it to the letter.

21 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

That's entirely down to your old man's employer and hee haw to do with NS, in the same way that it's your old man's employers responsibility to implement every other piece of H&S legislation.