Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

Except they are not the same as shops they control who can go in. I would assume your dad's employer is more than confident that 2m distancing can be maintained at all times otherwise masks would be mandatory under the legislation. It's his workplaces interpretation that you have issue with rather than the legislation.

If it's such an issue speak to his colleagues, speak to the union and threaten action.

But they can't control if people who go in have Covid or not can they?  So they're absolutely identical to shops. 700 people work there, most shops you go in there might be 7.  I assume shops are also confident 2m can be maintained so why do you need masks then? 

Its not his workplace's interpretation, they have checked and they comply with the regulations fully, its the regulations that are wrong. You can't speak to the union if there's nothing to speak to the union about, they are meeting all criteria set by Scotgov, but those criteria do not include the wearing of masks, so they're not wearing them.  

3 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

why not put a sticky plaster on a gunshot wound then? it makes no fucking difference if i'm out walking on my jack jones. I don't enjoy wearing one, I can put up with it for the time required to get in and out of supermarkets etc but f**k right off , something as simple as going for a bit of fresh air and you need to put those awfull things over your nose and motuh.

I won't be doing it

f**k off

Whilst this is maybe more aggressive than I'd put it but I have sympathy with this view.

Wearing a mask is shite but I'm perfectly happy to do it out of consideration for people in proximity but I really see no need to go through the discomfort on a walk where there's no one around or even worse whilst out running by myself.

Edited by Dons_1988

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Precisely. What's been mandated by Scotgov is that employers make the workplace covid secure, pretty sure they are required to demonstrate this to the regulator and most employers are being pushed to make their covid RA public. Deliberately open ended though as all employers and work settings are different. The havent been prescriptive about very much throughout this. If an employee feels that the measures taken by the employer are inadequate, then they should absolutely report the employer and action would be taken by the HSE.

Then theres also raising mask wearing as a safety suggestion... Or just choosing to wear a mask.

You can choose to wear a mask if you want but its irrelevant as your mask doesn't protect you, its protects the people around you. So if the people around you are not wearing masks, and they're not, you are risking your life every time you go to work.  Its not fair to ask someone to do that.

Just now, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

You can choose to wear a mask if you want but its irrelevant as your mask doesn't protect you, its protects the people around you. So if the people around you are not wearing masks, and they're not, you are risking your life every time you go to work.  Its not fair to ask someone to do that.

Probably not risking their lives more than they have by smoking for 50 plus years to be fair. 

@Carnoustie Young Guvnor could your dad wear a mask voluntarily at his work?  Have the company said they don't want people doing that?

Edited, as you've said they can.  Good point about the protection from it.

One thing that I've posted stuff about on here before is the term 'Covid secure'.  It seems a lot of places are taking that to be wiping down all surfaces, washing hands, having sanitiser everywhere etc.  But we know that the virus is airborne through aerosol transmission.  So if you are breathing out Covid it doesn't matter how often you wash your hands or sanitise what you touch, an unventilated space can still cause spread.

Edited by ICTChris

So, you don’t care about your dad protecting other people? Just about him?

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Whilst this is maybe more aggressive than I'd put it but I have sympathy with this view.

Wearing a mask is shite but I'm perfectly happy to do it out of consideration for people in proximity but I really see no need to go through the discomfort on a walk where there's no one around or even worse whilst out running by myself.

Actually, studies show the safe distances are this

Sitting down 1.5 m

Standing up 2m

Walking 4m

Jogging 10m

They also think if two people are standing talking and one of them is positive a cloud lingers up to ten minutes after they are gone.  They have found cases in factories in Germany that were poorly ventilated, people working hard, and shouting, and people were infected up to 12m away.  Also found in S Korea people got infected at churches by sitting in the same seat an infected person sat in the day before.

So realistically masks should be mandatory everywhere in public all the time even outside. But bellends like the guy above won't accept it.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Exactly, i'm not aiming this anger at any posters , there are precious few pleasures at this most miserable time, why do they NEED to f**k up one of the few that's still allowed?

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Probably not risking their lives more than they have by smoking for 50 plus years to be fair. 

But that's their decision, this isn't. Its incredibly juvenile to deflect from the point as you don't have anything substantive to add to it but just want to object anyway. I suggest growing up.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Precisely. What's been mandated by Scotgov is that employers make the workplace covid secure, pretty sure they are required to demonstrate this to the regulator and most employers are being pushed to make their covid RA public. Deliberately open ended though as all employers and work settings are different. The havent been prescriptive about very much throughout this. If an employee feels that the measures taken by the employer are inadequate, then they should absolutely report the employer and action would be taken by the HSE.

Then theres also raising mask wearing as a safety suggestion... Or just choosing to wear a mask.

Exactly the Govt couldn't visit every work place and set out the exact measures because some places will have 3 people in a 300m2 shed.

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

But they can't control if people who go in have Covid or not can they?  So they're absolutely identical to shops. 700 people work there, most shops you go in there might be 7.  I assume shops are also confident 2m can be maintained so why do you need masks then? 

Its not his workplace's interpretation, they have checked and they comply with the regulations fully, its the regulations that are wrong. You can't speak to the union if there's nothing to speak to the union about, they are meeting all criteria set by Scotgov, but those criteria do not include the wearing of masks, so they're not wearing them.  

It's up to the employer to decide they could temperature check everyone staggered the shifts all the stuff supermarkets can't for members of the public. 

They will comply if 2m distancing is maintained at all times and masks are worn in all common areas, canteens, corridors, entrances, changing rooms etc etc.

If you feel unsafe at work then you can 100% speak to the union regardless if you feel it's breaking legislation or not.

But that's their decision, this isn't. Its incredibly juvenile to deflect from the point as you don't have anything substantive to add to it but just want to object anyway. I suggest growing up.

I just found it strange you were using the smoking almost like a badge of honour as a moan as to part of the reason why they had only been classed as moderate risk. 

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Exactly the Govt couldn't visit every work place and set out the exact measures because some places will have 3 people in a 300m2 shed.

It's up to the employer to decide they could temperature check everyone staggered the shifts all the stuff supermarkets can't for members of the public. 

They will comply if 2m distancing is maintained at all times and masks are worn in all common areas, canteens, corridors, entrances, changing rooms etc etc.

If you feel unsafe at work then you can 100% speak to the union regardless if you feel it's breaking legislation or not.

They could also mandate masks like other countries have done, but they refuse to do so.

They do, the employer isn't a fucking hospital, its not their area of expertise to decipher who is Covid positive and who isn't. 

The union can't do anything about it if its not in breach of legislation. They are obviously unsafe, its not about ;feels; its a black and white situation, they are clearly at risk every time they go to work.

10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I think it’s safe to say excess deaths in the last year can only really be explained by Covid as the singular major factor.  I don’t think until all the data is collected fully that it can be split into different categories (I.e respiratory disease death, possibly Covid,   Anything caused by delayed treatment or increase in other factors (mental heath).    

The fact that excess deaths is similar to the Covid mentioned in death certificates suggests that any increase in deaths from other factors are balanced by any deaths with Covid mentioned that may have occurred anyway.

I don’t think you can say “excess deaths in the last year”. Feb my Dad passed away due to pneumonia. Saying excess deaths since mid to late March would be more accurate 

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

I just found it strange you were using the smoking almost like a badge of honour as a moan as to part of the reason why they had only been classed as moderate risk. 

Maybe you have a little trouble comprehending what you read and assign judgements to it with no basis in reality. I wasn't saying I think they should be high risk, I was bemoaning the fact they're higher risk than your average person.  

Realistically mate you're a fanny, and you're just objecting to what I say cause I say it.  I never personalise anything on here but I get it a lot from fandans like you. 

Maybe you have a little trouble comprehending what you read and assign judgements to it with no basis in reality. I wasn't saying I think they should be high risk, I was bemoaning the fact they're higher risk than your average person.  

Realistically mate you're a fanny, and you're just objecting to what I say cause I say it.  I never personalise anything on here but I get it a lot from fandans like you. 

What a load of pish. Go and take a right good f**k to yourself.