Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Yep, both my closest group 2 relatives were vaccinated this week.

No no no

It's all wrong. The media have got wind some folk are happy their elderly relo's are being vaccinated and are punting the 'it won't work anyway cause of our delayed second vaccinated' story

Edited by Binos

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yet more shite from the BBC with their "more than 4000 Covid patients on ventilators" headline. 

There are just over 4000 patients in ICU in the UK with Covid. Not all patients in ICU are on ventilators. The usual lazy journalism.

I don’t dispute what you say.  I’m not a doctor and know nothing about ICU or ventilation.

are there situations where you can be on a ventilator and not in ICU?

are they stretching the definition of ventilation?  I understand there are different types of breathing assistance?

it sounds suspicious and a bit like shite journalism.

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

If ever a picture shows how much we fcked it, it's this one. No social distancing, no masks, an indoors music event, no vaccine needed to get out of it. Yet even with a vaccine we're being told to write off events in 2021. Scunnering 

20210124_002207.jpg

It's amazing the number of people who scoff at 'that Devi Sridhar woman's Covid zero nonsense' also want what a covid zero policy has achieved 

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

If ever a picture shows how much we fcked it, it's this one. No social distancing, no masks, an indoors music event, no vaccine needed to get out of it. Yet even with a vaccine we're being told to write off events in 2021. Scunnering 

20210124_002207.jpg

News recently from China is all about locking places down and building quarantined camps to house cases in.

It can’t be all perfect over there.

9 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I don’t dispute what you say.  I’m not a doctor and know nothing about ICU or ventilation.

are there situations where you can be on a ventilator and not in ICU?

are they stretching the definition of ventilation?  I understand there are different types of breathing assistance?

it sounds suspicious and a bit like shite journalism.

I'm certain they are choosing to stretch the definition of ventilation. Rather than your question are there situations when you can be on a ventilator but not in ICU there are in fact many examples of patients being in ICU but not on a ventilator. 

Even in simplistic terms of the 4076 UK patients in ICU with Covid today there will be quite a number who have improved enough to come off ventilation and be awaiting discharge to a ward. Don't get me wrong the 4000+ patients in ICU is an awful figure but at best it's simplistic journalism to say they are all on ventilators and at worst it's deliberately sensationalist. In other words typical UK mainstream journalism.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

14 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I'm certain they are choosing to stretch the definition of ventilation. Rather than your question are there situations when you can be on a ventilator but not in ICU there are in fact many examples of patients being in ICU but not on a ventilator. 

Even in simplistic terms of the 4076 UK patients in ICU with Covid today there will be quite a number who have improved enough to come off ventilation and be awaiting discharge to a ward. Don't get me wrong the 4000+ patients in ICU is an awful figure but at best it's simplistic journalism to say they are all on ventilators and at worst it's deliberately sensationalist. In other words typical UK mainstream journalism.

It does make me ask this question though.

we scrambled to increase ventilator capacity across the UK to 30,000 or so (could be wrong with that figure) from approx 10,000 (again, could be out and can’t be arsed to research).

that was all to cope with Covid.  If the delta was indeed 20k and we could therefore ventilate 20k Covid patients (and have the staff obviously) then why is this news?

ETA.  Should have said why is this sensationalist news.

Edited by Left Back

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

It does make me ask this question though.

we scrambled to increase ventilator capacity across the UK to 30,000 or so (could be wrong with that figure) from approx 10,000 (again, could be out and can’t be arsed to research).

that was all to cope with Covid.  If the delta was indeed 20k and we could therefore ventilate 20k Covid patients (and have the staff obviously) then why is this news?

It's news because it's the highest number of Covid patients who have been in ICU in the UK since the start of this pandemic. That's a newsworthy figure but as usual the BBC have reported it at best inaccurately or at worst in a deliberately sensationalist manner. My instinct  is they're clueless enough for it to be the former but who knows.

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

It's news because it's the highest number of Covid patients who have been in ICU in the UK since the start of this pandemic. That's a newsworthy figure but as usual the BBC have reported it at best inaccurately or at worst in a deliberately sensationalist manner. My instinct  is they're clueless enough for it to be the former but who knows.

Agreed.  Had already edited my post to include the sensationalist part of the reporting.

How are the vaccines distributed? Is it by NHS vans or private delivery companies? 

It can be argued it is easier to distribute vaccines in England as it has more major roads than Scotland. Wales is mountainous in the middle but it is half the area of Scotland. Also half the population of Wales lives in 14% of its area i.e. in SE Wales. 

I don't know much about the topography of Norn Iron but again it is smaller than Scotland and Belfast must make up a significant portion of the population as a whole.

We live in a country where free delivery offers sometimes aren't available to people in Inverness let alone Wick.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

How are the vaccines distributed? Is it by NHS vans or private delivery companies? 

It can be argued it is easier to distribute vaccines in England as it has more major roads than Scotland. Wales is mountainous in the middle but it is half the area of Scotland. Also half the population of Wales lives in 14% of its area i.e. in SE Wales. 

I don't know much about the topography of Norn Iron but again it is smaller than Scotland and Belfast must make up a significant portion of the population as a whole.

We live in a country where free delivery offers sometimes aren't available to people in Inverness let alone Wick.

This a whoosh Tam?

10 hours ago, John MacLean said:

I think setting out targets, when they are so many variables that can impact upon the ability to meet them, is a mistake. But the adversarial nature of politics and how the 4th estate go about their business meant that if they hadn't outlined targets the agenda would have been dominated by accusations of lack of transparency. 

I don't see why there would have been a problem in saying that the aim was to roll out the vaccine as quickly as humanly possible (there is no credible argument to suggest that isn't the aim) but acknowledging that various factors could potentially delay it. Treat us like grown ups please. We don't all see things in purely binary terms. 

I must adopt this approach the next time I'm involved in building a block of flats.

"We'll do it as quickly as we can, but I don't when it'll be finished". 

Every industry in the land works to programmes and deadlines and there's no good reason why the vaccination process should be any different.

20210124_002207.jpg.314de0a2d652a98511449314bcc8ae6c.jpg
After the last year I'd take any news coming out of China with a shovel full of salt.