Coronavirus (COVID-19)

If we go back to what has been touted as the underlying reason for all restrictions it becomes a fairly simple question for me.

Can the NHS offer a full range of all pre-pandemic services and cope with any Coronavirus cases?

If no then some level of restrictions will be required but I would doubt as excessive as we have today.  If the vaccination programme is proven to be having an impact then it isn't justifiable to have all current restrictions in place.

If yes then there's no justification for any restrictions.

Case numbers themselves should not (and never should have been) a determining factor.  They're an indicator, nothing more.

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

"Pretty much all wars" was poor wording, I admit that. If we're arguing that religious intolerance isn't a major reason for wars happening then I would have to disagree. 

Better.

Isn't it altogether nicer when you manage to post without shouting about arseholes, cocks and farters?

Proud of you. 

I'd suggest we are not far away from case numbers being irrelevant tbh
That should become the case once hospital admissions and deaths fall to last summer's levels and the over 50 group have all had their two doses. We are months away from that point given May is the target for the single dose in over 50s and hospital numbers are still above the initial peak never mind anywhere near last summer's levels.

Your a long way from being able to declare this over as a public health issue....for the second time.

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Case numbers themselves should not (and never should have been) a determining factor.  They're an indicator, nothing more.

It's probably more of a case of changing modelling?

Currently they can fairly accurately predict hospitalisation and deaths 2 or 3 weeks in advance based on case numbers. Once the population is vaccinated then this modelling has to change significantly you would hope?

That should become the case once hospital admissions and deaths fall to last summer's levels and the over 50 group have all had their two doses. We are months away from that point given May is the target for the single dose in over 50s and hospital numbers are still above the initial peak never mind anywhere near last summer's levels.

Your a long way from being able to declare this over as a public health issue....for the second time.
It's over as a public health emergency when the hospitals are no longer at risk due to vaccine levels.

That's true regardless of doses of who has been dosed. Any retention and use of emergency powers beyond then is a disgrace.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Better.

Isn't it altogether nicer when you manage to post without shouting about arseholes, cocks and farters?

Proud of you. 

I'll play the post. If you're going to be a dick about an apostrophe then don't expect level headed or "nice" posts back at you.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It's probably more of a case of changing modelling?

Currently they can fairly accurately predict hospitalisation and deaths 2 or 3 weeks in advance based on case numbers. Once the population is vaccinated then this modelling has to change significantly you would hope?

I would hope it's already changed.  A huge percentage of the most vulnerable people have now been vaccinated so the case number indicator (assuming vaccines are effective and at this point there is no evidence to suggest otherwise) should already reflect a different percentage of hospital admissions for the vaccinated.

Is there an address where I can write to Prof Jason Andrew Leitch to thank him for all his hard work keeping us all safe?   Maybe pop him a wee £10 gift card.   
Yes suoerbigal@yourwelcome.com
I believe is his email address for bungs

We should have a wee competition on when we think certain sectors WILL (not when we think they should / hope) reopen. Say

Barbers

Pubs / Restaurants Outdoors

Pubs / Restaurants Indoors and

A week in mainland Spain without quarantine at either end.

In order for me 19 April

7 June,

26 July

7 September

6 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Received the call, vaccine on Saturday afternoon 💃

I got my blue envelope in this morning. Getting jagged confirmed on Wednesday, could change to the weekend at ravenscraig but I'm not sure entering North Lanarkshire is worth it. 

Edited by madwullie

It's over as a public health emergency when the hospitals are no longer at risk due to vaccine levels.

That's true regardless of doses of who has been dosed. Any retention and use of emergency powers beyond then is a disgrace.
Yes but vaccine levels won't get to that level much before May although at current speed that could become an April date that sounds pretty realistic to me.

3 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Just as well we are playing on Sunday then.

Couldn't give a f**k if it was the cup final on Saturday I'd have dragged her out the house myself!

To be fair I don't think she'd miss this vaccine for anything. Delighted to get that call. Big relief