Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Remember though, life is completely normal in Australia and New Zealand!

They'll be back in prison-like shutdown when autumn and winter roll around and cases spike all over the place, just as we should be on the road back to real normality in northern hemisphere summer.

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

That's why schools being open has always been a public health risk. A justifiable risk perhaps, but it is insulting to people's intelligence for it to be suggested that it was perfectly safe as they were doing in the autumn.

This is it in a nutshell. I get that they can't necessarily say "your children will be at risk of catching covid and spreading it to you if you send them to school", but the rhetoric from the government and MA TWO HUVNY HUD IT fc on here last year was too far the other way.

Edited by Marshmallo

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is a pointless comparison because it's showing people who've had both doses. The UK have been prioritising first doses, but the second dose numbers will start flying up fairly soon.

Strange that people are slating the vaccine roll-out.  Procurement and roll-out are the only two things that we’ve got right in this whole crisis.

30 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Remember though, life is completely normal in Australia and New Zealand!

They'll be back in prison-like shutdown for months when autumn and winter roll around and cases spike all over the place, just as we should be on the road back to real normality in northern hemisphere summer.

I understand you're feverishly anti zero-covid and utterly incapable of nuance, but the point is it has advantages over the shitshow we're going through. We have people in this very thread saying they'd happily trade no foreign travel whatsoever (I know your burd would be sad about that so calm down) to have some semblance of normality - ie the actual life that people have been living in those places while we've been cooped up getting angrier and angrier and refreshing p&b every 5 minutes for wont of something to do. 

It's OK to understand that both methods have some advantages and disadvantages. I get that you might be mentally feeble, but you don't need to apply the partisanship you view football with to every aspect of life. 

I'd bite your hand off right now for a snap 3 day lockdown having lived a more or less normal life for the past 6 months. And if they get jagging this month as planned, there's no reason why they can't have the "best" of both worlds - if the vaccines are so great as you keep telling us, why would they be having a prison-like shutdown in July and August? 

Edit: yes before you start I agree the zero-covid boat sailed for us in about May. 

Edited by madwullie

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

This is it in a nutshell. I get that they can't necessarily say "your children will be at risk of catching covid and spreading it to you if you send them to school", but the rhetoric from the government and MA TWO HUVNY HUD IT fc on here last year was too far the other way.

It wasn't just too far the other way, it was treating us like a nation of imbeciles, I'd love to vote "none of the above" just to show how little I rate our politicians performance during this shambles, as someone who takes my vote seriously I really shouldn't be going into a polling booth thinking none of them really deserve my vote. 

image.thumb.jpeg.23e8bce06db24a5a1fd8c5a7cd092600.jpeg

Scotland is doing a fantastic job of rolling out the vaccine.
The numerous Boris fanboys on here will be raging.
Shows what happens when everyone pulls together, the Scot Gov getting the British army involved will have helped here as well.

Let's just be happy that this is the one thing that will get us out of this and the British Government have played a blinder here getting the vaccine supply sorted out and that ultimately is what means the rollout can go as fast as possible.

2 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Shows what happens when everyone pulls together, the Scot Gov getting the British army involved will have helped here as well.

Let's just be happy that this is the one thing that will get us out of this and the British Government have played a blinder here getting the vaccine supply sorted out and that ultimately is what means the rollout can go as fast as possible.

If you scatter enough shite eventually you'll hit the right spot. 

It's no real surprise that the one thing Westminster got right was commandeering loads of vaccines, they're experts at me me me. 

Snap 3 or 4 day lockdowns or our shitshow of trying to keep too many people happy at the wrong times, difficult choice. 
If the papers are to be believed that's the model we are moving towards once restrictions slowly start to ease. Very localised short sharp lockdowns in response to local spikes seems to be the plan.

Oh and restrictions are set to become "lifestyle changes" according to Raab this morning after "restrictions" actually start to lift. Masks and SD will cease to become a restriction and will then be compulsory lifestyle changes and the specific example given in the BBC interview was sporting crowds ! There is zero reason to think we are going to see anything different this coming summer to last, the terminology seems identical. It's beer gardens, meet your family outdoors for a picnic, masks, SD, travel corridors etc, etc. The more things change the more they stay the same essentially.

32 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

256CF6EE-AAA6-4049-B8C8-36A332F9953C.gif

Edited by 8MileBU

3 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
6 minutes ago, ayrmad said:
If you scatter enough shite eventually you'll hit the right spot. 
It's no real surprise that the one thing Westminster got right was commandeering loads of vaccines, they're experts at me me me. 

You'd rather we didn't have loads of vaccines?

Why would you ask such a stupid question? 

11 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Do you get a semi whenever you type "British Army" or is it full wood?

You forgot to add your flags too. 

🇬🇧🇺🇸🇮🇱

If the papers are to be believed that's the model we are moving towards once restrictions slowly start to ease. Very localised short sharp lockdowns in response to local spikes seems to be the plan.

Oh and restrictions are set to become "lifestyle changes" according to Raab this morning after "restrictions" actually start to lift. Masks and SD will cease to become a restriction and will then be compulsory lifestyle changes and the specific example given in the BBC interview was sporting crowds ! There is zero reason to think we are going to see anything different this coming summer to last, the terminology seems identical. It's beer gardens, meet your family outdoors for a picnic, masks, SD, travel corridors etc, etc. The more things change the more they stay the same essentially.
Short sharp lockdowns may well become the norm but they'd need to be thought about very carefully. If say, Glasgow is locked down for a week. Would employers be expected to pay their employees wages for that week or would they be able to claim that back from government? What about businesses with perishable goods that may see stock wiped out. It may seem simple to say, ach, we'll just lock everything down for a week but the logistics of it will be a lot more demanding.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

Do you honestly believe we're capable of operating such a system, we're over a year into Covid and still don't see any proper planning for how we can live as normal a life as possible with Covid. 

I still only see us reacting to this virus and what it throws up, I'm not even sure an adult conversation is worth it when you read opinion polls, it'll be 4 fearful voices against every one that's willing to look for alternatives. 

12 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

The numbers improved with new hubs opening and the completion of the Care Home roll-out - 81 armed forces personnel joined 9000 vaccinators four days after that upturn

Alister Jack played a blinder publishing the UK's letter offering help - many people genuinely believe the upturn was due to the army

That's not to say their help isn't appreciated of course.

Short sharp lockdowns may well become the norm but they'd need to be thought about very carefully. If say, Glasgow is locked down for a week. Would employers be expected to pay their employees wages for that week or would they be able to claim that back from government? What about businesses with perishable goods that may see stock wiped out. It may seem simple to say, ach, we'll just lock everything down for a week but the logistics of it will be a lot more demanding.
They gave zero flesh to their bones unsurprisingly