Coronavirus (COVID-19)

13 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Is she back to pretending immunity through natural infection and vaccination won't exist and help reduce transmission to a steady state from now on? What is this fucking nonsense rhetoric from her and her advisers that we'll be in a never-ending pandemic?

Surely there is some amount of herd immunity by now??? We are testing far more now so identifying more cases but how many people have had it that weren't a statistic. At the start if you showed symptoms you weren't to get tested but to isolate. A friend of mine who's wife tested positive didn't get tested but felt he had it as he had a few of the symptoms and felt terrible for a couple of days. 

Do people who have had it have some level of resistance?

1 minute ago, Elixir said:

Are we forgetting that immunity from natural infection exists? The EU vaccine rollout is slow right now, but it will pick up and by the end of summer, when transmission and deaths will be minimal anyway, so by the onset of autumn there will easily be 60-70%+ immunity in the northern hemisphere. That will stop 'worst pandemic in a century' pressures on health care systems.

This is correct but broadly Europe is in lockdown similar to us so immunity from natural infection is not exactly ripping through the population,

Just now, Left Back said:

This is correct but broadly Europe is in lockdown similar to us so immunity from natural infection is not exactly ripping through the population,

Countries who escaped the worst of the first wave, i.e. central and eastern Europe, got absolutely battered this winter. SAGE already estimate 1 in 3 in the UK have now had it.

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
13 minutes ago, ayrmad said:
Classier junkies that introduce themselves before emptying your pockets. 

I was in Ayr this morning. Along Main street over the bridge up the High Street to the station. With so few folk about the Junkies stand out more than usual. They must be Covid proof as there were a good few absolute Zombies about.

It really is a shitehole around there and the locals add to that impression, why the f**k Whitletts Rd is rammed with Glaswegians every time the sun appears I'll never know. 

2 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Stormont the 1st home nation to break ranks.  Lockdown extended till April at least.

f**k sake. Sturgeon won't have us out until after them, then. Probably not till after the election.

5 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Another one who thinks immunity from natural infection won't play a part. Deary me.

Problem is we don't know to what extent people have natural immunity just now a well educated guess and I don't think governments will be prepared to release on that basis.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Problem is we don't know to what extent people have natural immunity just now a well educated guess and I don't think governments will be prepared to release on that basis.

Well, SAGE certainly estimate it is around a third in the UK. Chuck in vaccination rates of 80%+, and higher in the vulnerable, and I think we can draw some quite clear conclusions from that.

4 minutes ago, Elixir said:

f**k sake. Sturgeon won't have us out until after them, then. Probably not till after the election.

If the benchmarks for exit are vaccinated population and hospital numbers, then it's unlikely much will change in terms of restrictions over the next 4 to 6 weeks anyway.

1 minute ago, Elixir said:

Well, SAGE certainly estimate it is around a third in the UK. Chuck in vaccination rates of 80%+, and higher in the vulnerable, and I think we can draw some quite clear conclusions from that.

Fingers crossed! And to ask a stupid question once you have been infected do we know how long that lasts? Because obviously the vaccine trains the immune system to do something to the virus itself, immunity from infection won't achieve that, right? 

9 minutes ago, Elixir said:

For heavens sake just tell her to shelve the election, her current arguments indicate it will be a major risk in spreading of the disease. 

This chap not quite getting the hotel quarantine !

Traveller staying in quarantine hotel complains it is 'worst experience of my life' 
Anthony Pium, who returned from Brazil yesterday, claimed he is being "held against his will" .

1 day in...aye just feel free to check out whenever you want Tony !

7 minutes ago, Snafu said:

For a comparison I've not heard anything about whether those people who caught the SARS-COV-1 virus still have an immune system memory of this virus?

From my own back of a fag packet knowledge the immune system doesn't forget in a hurry.

Those experts should not underestimate the strength of the human immune system.

You would hope that those who caught it do like you say my basic knowledge is that the immune system is amazingly resilient and even if it's reduced the risk of death after catching it a second time it would still be worth noting.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

This chap not quite getting the hotel quarantine !

Traveller staying in quarantine hotel complains it is 'worst experience of my life' 
Anthony Pium, who returned from Brazil yesterday, claimed he is being "held against his will" .

1 day in...aye just feel free to check out whenever you want Tony !

Did you say the boy who was videoing the hotel room as if it was anything other than a normal hotel room. It was brilliant.