Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Falkirk/Forth Valley in general performed well last time around and is having a stinker now. Wonder why....

There has been a pretty big outbreak at First Bus between Camelon / Larbert.

22 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Daily Update Infection Rates:   Up again this time by 2.97% as the rest of the UK plummets.  Silver lining is the top 3 (From Yesterday) are all dropping.

My Thought for the day:  Why is Lockdown not bringing case rates lower ?  Actually let's look at Dundee.  Dundee is very high in the charts for levels of Deprivation in Scotland. Not far behind West Dunbartonshire, North Ayrshire & Glasgow. Large areas of almost complete social housing stocks.  Well known areas such as Whitfield, Douglas, Fintry, Lochee, Ardler etc.  However the city has only 71 active Covid Cases, and only 2 areas Kirkton & Linlathen, where cases per 100K exceed 100. Vast areas of the city have the 0-2 cases deemed to be virus suppressed. So clearly Lockdown has worked for Dundee.

Without openly criticising other areas for their poor performance compared to Dundee, I have found some evidence of the problem.  Neighbourhoods with a blokes name in the area are performing poorly. All of these place are at over 300 cases per 100K.  I think i'm on to something but don't tell Nicola .  😉

Clyde from Clydebank, Les from Lesmahagow, Doug from Douglas in South Lanarkshire, Larry from Larkhall, John from Johnstone, Peter from Petersburn, Dale from Dalry, Keith from emm well Keith, Ross from Ross & Cromarty, Paul from Pollokshieds,  Kirk from Kirkcaldy, Cam from Camelon, Stewart from Stewarton and Big Al (No relation) from Alva,   Don't get me onto the Bints like Mary from Maryhill & Helen from Helensburgh. Both just as bad. 

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan,    Cases that day were 16,496 and test rate was 11.9%

Total cases latest 7 days are 5,686 and the positive test rate stays at 5.4%.  Cases per 100k drops rises from 101.1 to 104.1 up 2.97%

England 142.8 to 137.8 have dropped 3.50% in last 24 hours.  Wales  89.9 to 87.3 have dropped 2.89% in last 24 hours , Northern Ireland 120.1 to 114.0 have dropped 5.08% in last 24 hours.   UK Average is now 136.5 to 131.8 down  3.44%

Council progress in last 24 hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

East Ayrshire 318.0 to  278.7  Prison stuff starting to fall away

Falkirk  198.3 to 224.4  Shocker 

Clackmannanshire  228.9 to 211.5  Also good to see some falls.

West Lothian  174.8 to 201.5  Shocker but it is a Prison again.   

West Dunbartonshire  214.8 to 200.2 Also a decent day 

Renfrewshire 174.2 to 175.9  

Stirling 151.8 to 165.6  Shocker 

North Lanarkshire 149.7 to 159.4  Shocker   

South Lanarkshire  133.8 to 139.1

Glasgow City 128.1 to 128.9 

North Ayrshire  128.4 to 124.7  

Midlothian 100.6 to 107.1

East Renfrewshire   97.4 to 101.5

Western Isles 86.1 to 86.1

Inverclyde   83.5 to 75.8  Another good day  

Moray  76.2 to 74.1

East Lothian  62.6 to 71.9 Poor day.

City Of Edinburgh  62.1 to 71.6  Poor day

Fife  60.5 to 65.9

Perth & Kinross  59.2  to 63.2  

East Dunbartonshire  61.7 to 58.9      

Dumfries & Galloway 64.5 to 53.7  Great day.

South Ayrshire 58.6 to 58.6

Angus  53.4 to 53.4     

Highlands  58.5 to 53.0 Great day

Dundee City 36.8 to 47.5 Poor Day..

Argyll & Bute 44.3 to 44.3 

Aberdeenshire 36.4 to 37.1

Aberdeen City 32.4 to 32.4

Scottish  Borders 26.0 to 29.4  

Orkney Island   31.4 to 22.5

Shetland Islands   0.0 to 0.0

Swinney reckoned we had the lowest +ve test percentage in the UK, some of it may be due to increased testing finding more cases?

11 minutes ago, renton said:

Swinney reckoned we had the lowest +ve test percentage in the UK, some of it may be due to increased testing finding more cases?

That's not what he said. He said the ONS had published their latest estimate of infection rates and that Scotland was 1 in 180 people which was the lowest in the UK. Not testing %, estimated infection rates.

Regardless of how much you believe or don't believe she says at the briefings, it's only when someone stands in for Nicola Sturgeon that you realise just how good she is at public speaking - you might have an issue with the message but it's delivered clearly. John Swinney sounds like he's reading off a slow teleprinter or something in comparison 
Swinney is a cure for insomnia.

I read a wee bit on the BBC live updates about how Boris is still finalising his roadmap, and it also said that this comes as new information showing how the effective the vaccines are had become available. For all my anger and negativity, the one hope I still hold out is that these vaccines are so good, they are quickly going to strip away any tangible numbers they might cling onto as evidence of the need for SD and whatever other bollocks into summer and beyond.

And no, before anyone steams in with the man of straw, no I am not saying we should open everything tomorrow.....

Meanwhile Peston reporting that furlough is going to be extended until autumn. Naturally that's devoid of context but it looks like a bad sign. 

*Peston, not Preston. He is as inspiring as the dull town is, right enough. 

Edited by Michael W

I got offered a vaccine. Totally out of the blue and didn’t expect one for ages. Tuesday afternoon.

I’ve got asthma, not severe but enough to give me very bad flus and chest infections when I get them. My wife is delighted as she was seriously worried I’d be on the way out if I got Covid!

Now, where’s that vaccine passport?

Dundee and Aberdeen are both geographically isolated in a similar way to Cornwall and East Anglia in England (and similarly full of weirdos).

The old Strathclyde area is pretty much continuous sprawl now with good transport links and far more people travelling around than anywhere else in Scotland. 

11 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Meanwhile Preston reporting that furlough is going to be extended until autumn. Naturally that's devoid of context but it looks like a bad sign. 

You'd think they'd tell EPL teams 1st.

Look on the bright side.  As you are older and vaccinated you will soon be able to jaunt off to Benidorm while all the young 'uns will be stuck here.
..and the bright side is?

Only joking, just not a fan of yer "resorts". I reckon it'll be a few years before I'm back on a plane mind - I can't see any changes made due to Covid (or Brexit) making the experience more pleasant.

Just now, WhiteRoseKillie said:

..and the bright side is?

Only joking, just not a fan of yer "resorts". I reckon it'll be a few years before I'm back on a plane mind - I can't see any changes made due to Covid (or Brexit) making the experience more pleasant.

Yeah Covid seems a better option than Benidorm all things considered.

Meanwhile Peston reporting that furlough is going to be extended until autumn. Naturally that's devoid of context but it looks like a bad sign. 
*Peston, not Preston. He is as inspiring as the dull down is, right enough. 
I've had a work meeting today where we were told to prepare software wise for the £20 UC uplift reversal scheduled for 4 April to be U-Turned by Sunak in the budget. The speculation is that it will be extended for at least 6 months. All pointing to the financial life support going deep into 2021.