Coronavirus (COVID-19)

It is and can.  Chuckles visiting him and the length of time he’s staying in hospital makes me think there’s more to this than meets the eye.  He’ll have all manner of private doctors and healthcare available at home so a precautionary rest (or whatever Buckingham Palace are saying) doesn’t add up to me.
Same for me. Not that I'm all that bothered, but there are dead pool points at stake here.

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:
9 minutes ago, Left Back said:
It is and can.  Chuckles visiting him and the length of time he’s staying in hospital makes me think there’s more to this than meets the eye.  He’ll have all manner of private doctors and healthcare available at home so a precautionary rest (or whatever Buckingham Palace are saying) doesn’t add up to me.

Same for me. Not that I'm all that bothered, but there are dead pool points at stake here.

😂

12 minutes ago, Left Back said:

They will probably be thinking how they can reanimate him, if they haven't already previously, in Frankenstein's Monster-esque fashion. Or end up operating him on strings.

If he manages to see this one out then something's not right.

They will probably be thinking how they can reanimate him, if they haven't already previously, in Frankenstein's Monster-esque fashion. Or end up operating him on strings.
If he manages to see this one out then something's not right.
Weekend at Phils, the original needs a remake.

Regarding a rebellion of sorts, what would be the long term goal or just lets smash up some shops?

What exactly do people want, would opening everything up not just result in more chaos? Can we not wait until the vaccine is rolled out before risking making things worse?

A clear road map with different options would do but tbh what makes you think that there can be a clear road map? We aren't really any further forward than last year other than we've vaccinated people. Protest against the government response and take them to task, turn out and vote protest for a better and bigger health service maybe?

Will people go out and riot if another lock down happens?

Regarding a rebellion of sorts, what would be the long term goal or just lets smash up some shops?
What exactly do people want, would opening everything up not just result in more chaos? Can we not wait until the vaccine is rolled out before risking making things worse?
A clear road map with different options would do but tbh what makes you think that there can be a clear road map? We aren't really any further forward than last year other than we've vaccinated people. Protest against the government response and take them to task, turn out and vote protest for a better and bigger health service maybe?
When you say "we aren't really any further forward than last year other than we've vaccinated people" what else do you expect us to do beyond that?

We spent the bulk of last year being told that vaccines are the way out. We now have multiple vaccines but are now being told "well actually...". That's why people are getting pissed off.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:
1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:
My perception is that the majority of people are still on board with harsh restrictions. Old people especially are risk averse and continue to believe that lockdown is necessary until the government says it isn't necessary. **

**This isn't my personal opinion and is only based on anecdotal evidence and conversations with my 85 year old parents. However, I think every recent poll points to the fact that a majority of people support continuous and severe restrictions. 

Which is fair enough when it isn't their generation which will be paying for this.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Old folk content to stay in their hooses with their triple-lock pensions knowing that it won't be them paying for this for the next 30 years.

Exactly this. It is the elderly that we're all locked down to predominantly protect. Understandable on the level that they are at high risk of death if they catch the virus, but on the other hand the economic side doesn't affect them. No mortgages, jobs  wages etc. to he worrying about. 

The people that are low risk from the virus are the ones taking the brunt of the restrictions. It is hard not to be bitter about being someone that will pay for this whilst the people this benefits for the most part won't be any worse off when the treasury needs to address the bill. 

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Exactly this. It is the elderly that we're all locked down to predominantly protect. Understandable on the level that they are at high risk of death if they catch the virus, but on the other hand the economic side doesn't affect them. No mortgages, jobs  wages etc. to he worrying about. 

The people that are low risk from the virus are the ones taking the brunt of the restrictions. It is hard not to be bitter about being someone that will pay for this whilst the people this benefits for the most part won't be any worse off when the treasury needs to address the bill. 

Apart from the dead ones obviously.

9 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

When you say "we aren't really any further forward than last year other than we've vaccinated people" what else do you expect us to do beyond that?

We spent the bulk of last year being told that vaccines are the way out. We now have multiple vaccines but are now being told "well actually...". That's why people are getting pissed off.

I understand that but what do you propose?

6 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Apart from the dead ones obviously.

Well you don't benefit from the restrictions if you die tbf. The benefits are only realised by the living. 

The living will include a large number of people that have had their lives ruined or disadvantaged financially, who were at a very low degree of risk from the virus. 

Low risk of dying, but badly exposed to consequences of restrictions. On the other hand, those at the high risk of dying/serious illness in most cases have limited exposure to the consequences of restrictions. 

Edited by Michael W

Essentially folk have given up a year of their lives to protect old folk who will swan off on SAGA cruises whilst vaccinated while the rest of us are stuck at home in case a village with 37 folk in Eastern Siberia get a new variant.

No wonder folk are getting pissed off.

12 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Post vaccination, large scale protests in the street would be more than justified.

Not that I think it will come to that if required, sadly.

I think as more people get vaccinated more restrictions should be lifted until we eventually reach normality but the noises coming from the government don't suggest that'll be the case.

That's all well and good, if it means they're straight in the bin as soon as the entire adult population has been given ample time to take up on the offer, and the required time has passed post second dose.

My 79 year old dad has gone from a relatively fit, independent, active pensioner, to a virtual recluse. He's deteriorated pretty badly during lockdown, lost all confidence, terrified of falling and his brain is going too through lack of contact and activities. I doubt once restrictions are lifted he'll ever leave the house again without me taking him, let alone swan off on a saga cruise.

From speaking to his doctor and medical staff when I've take him to his hospital appointments, this is not an unusual situation

Lockdown has completely fucked a lot of old people, plenty of whom have missed out on the final year (s) of their lives, seeing grandchildren and generally being functioning people. 

I think it's a bit of a broad and unfair generalisation to suggest that codgers have mainly been unaffected by lockdown compared to younger people tbh. 

Sure, there will be those like mentioned above, but there will also be younger people largely unaffected who will pick up their lives where they left off and this will all be a distant, nasty memory in a year or two. 

This has been fucking shit for most people, regardless of age. 

Edited by madwullie

Just now, madwullie said:

My 79 year old dad has gone from a relatively fit, active pensioner, to a virtual recluse. He's deteriorated pretty badly during lockdown, lost all confidence, terrified of falling and his brain is going too through lack of contact and activities. I doubt once restrictions are lifted he'll ever leave the house again without me taking him, let alone swan off on a saga cruise.

From speaking to his doctor and medical staff when I've take him to his hospital appointments, this is not an unusual situation

Lockdown has completely fucked a lot of old people, plenty of whom have missed out on the final year (s) of their lives, seeing grandchildren and generally being functioning people. 

I think it's a bit of a broad and unfair generalisation to suggest that codgers have mainly been unaffected by lockdown compared to younger people tbh. 

Sure, there will be those like mentioned above, but there will also be younger people largely unaffected who will pick up their lives where they left off and this will all be a distant, nasty memory in a year or two. 

No-one's saying that older folk haven't suffered. I lost my Gran during Covid. Couldn't have a proper funeral or a wake.

I disagree with your last sentence though. It won't be just a nasty memory. We'll be paying for this for decades.

Most of the “rebellion” won’t occur through the medium of actual civil disobedience, but more through people just quietly losing interest in the rules and hosting small household gatherings with family and friends.

I expected social unrest at some point last summer but the response to this has been much more supine than I expected tbh.

I don't expect - and take that with a shovel of salt given the above - anything significant to happen this year either. Lockdown-breaking illegal gatherings/'raves' (for some reason it's always a 'rave' being broken up) will steadily tick up but unless the police go in heavy-handed and make a total arse of it then more widespread discontent seems unlikely.

The months of utterly risible, non-stop lockdown propaganda featuring sad nurses and weepy patients has seen to that as well. 

9 minutes ago, madwullie said:

My 79 year old dad has gone from a relatively fit, independent, active pensioner, to a virtual recluse. He's deteriorated pretty badly during lockdown, lost all confidence, terrified of falling and his brain is going too through lack of contact and activities. I doubt once restrictions are lifted he'll ever leave the house again without me taking him, let alone swan off on a saga cruise.

This has been fucking shit for most people, regardless of age. 

It's a fair point. There's no doubt it has had a massive impact on the elderly mentally and also physically. 

My comments were however from a purely economic perspective. The very real financial and employment consequences of this pandemic are not going to fall on the elderly.