Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Again if you can't enjoy life in the UK the problem isn't the UK. 

Some people may have been to or seen everything they want to experience in the UK.  I travel the UK a lot but mainly for events like gigs or sport.  Can't remember the last time I went anywhere in the UK just for the sake of going to see that place.  I'm sure there are some great places in the UK I haven't seen but there are none on my list of places I want to go to.  European cities is a different matter.  Still plenty of them I want to get to.

Just now, Detournement said:

It must be possible for statisticians to model the probability of immunity being undermined by a variant with international travel or without.

You've seen the models to date, right?

I think one thing that has been absolutely clear over the last 12 months is that modelling is incredibly difficult, and therefore not very accurate.

The current trend also appears to be to err on the side of caution, and avoid the backlash if the models are out by too much in the wrong direction.

It's why basing the decisions for the running of an entire country on mathematical models of one virus leads to decisions being made that are not far off proving to be problematic to get out of.

13 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I enjoy living in the uk so much that I need to drink myself stupid every weekend and for one week abroad every year to escape.

Enjoying life by trying to escape reality.

I haven't had a drink at all this year but reading your posts are pushing me close to a 4 day binge. 

Not everyone who wants a holiday is a Carling swigging moron and when you've been stuck in the same house for coming up to a calendar year, it's entirely reasonable that some folk want to travel to another country for a break. We're all eager to see the end of this and nobody wants to see our progress hindered, but dial down this shite a bit.

44 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Some of the replies to that. Jesus. How do these people function when the world is full of such dangers?

Surely at least some of them are at it for the purposes of making political points?! 

If some of those comments are representative of even 5% of the country, we are in for one hell of a mental health crisis. 

3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

You do know deaths happened every day pre March 2020 lockdown? 1400 on average in the UK per day before then 

Edited by Todd_is_God

12 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I'm lucky enough stay in the only part of the UK worth visiting. f**k going on holiday to any other part of this shitty island.

Holidays in Strathclyde are well sought after on here, I'll have you know.

10 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

What's your point caller

Old and sick people die all the time. COVID-19 was not taking out vast numbers of young and healthy people like H1N1 influenza did in 1918, so what we have experienced is nothing particularly drastic as pandemics go and we now have vaccines available that are pretty much ending it as a serious health problem. Please try to get your hysteria under control

23 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If there's a local football team I'll go to that as well. I usually go longer than a week though.

Always a factor when going abroad for me. Seen some interesting games in Tenerife, Pisa, Agadir, and Faro, among others - none of which Mrs WRK saw coming at time of booking. We've had the usual overt trips to Barcelona, Milan, Leeds and the like as well..

16 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

386 new cases (4.5 percent), 824 in hospital (-13), 71 in ICU (-7) and no new deaths.

That's a really positive drop in ICU cases.

The case drop over the last week is quite dramatic considering the plateau in the mid 800s that we seemed stuck on for a bit before that.

Edited by renton

2 minutes ago, renton said:

The case drop over the last week is quite dramatic considering the plateau in the mid 800s that we seemed stuck on for a bit before that.

I wonder if that's the impact of the vaccine fully kicking in on transmission, or just the impact that being in lockdown for this period of time is having.