Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, Snafu said:

“I can not tell you, with absolute certainty, that nobody in Scotland has the virus. There could be symptomatic cases, there could be cases incubating, there could be a case tomorrow.”

Jason Leitch in October 2025 explaining why, despite there being no cases for 2 years, no more than 300 fans can attend Ross County v Inverness

Edited by Todd_is_God

Guest Bob Mahelp

It's frustrating, but we have to get used to the fact that Leitch is not a cheerleader for gay abandon, foreign holidays, or 50K people in stadiums. 

He's paid to be cautious to the extent that he is imagining issues and problems where the chance of any existing is tiny. That's his job.

Fortunately, what he's not paid to do is make government policy. I'm cheered by the fact that the language used by the Scottish government is markedly different from the language it was using a few weeks ago. 

Small steps and all that. 

The elephant in the room regards international travel is still proving you've had the vaccine.

I don't want some bureaucratic mess if form-filling but equally any electronic proof should only be for international travel.

Any notion of domestic vaccine passport needs punted in the sea.

36 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm assuming 25 k is day 1 salary?

If that's for someone with 5 years experience in a job requiring a degree it's piss poor.

Do porters not get about 20k (no harm to the porters, a great bunch of lads) ?

Aye, that sounds about right. Depending on overtime/nights shift allowance etc. 

Certainly are. Salt of the earth. 

35 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

If that's for someone with 5 years experience in a job requiring a degree it's piss poor.

I did a quick google and aye £25k is starting salary and band 5 which I think is very reasonable for a graduate job. Certainly loads who won't be getting that. Here's the higher bands...

• Band 6: £31,365 to £37,890

• Band 7: £38,890 to £44,503

• Band 8: £45,753 to £87,754

• Band 9: £91,004 to £104,927

The average nurse's salary is 33-35k which puts them below the UK salary average at around 38k but above the median which is about 31k.

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's frustrating, but we have to get used to the fact that Leitch is not a cheerleader for gay abandon, foreign holidays, or 50K people in stadiums. 

He's paid to be cautious to the extent that he is imagining issues and problems where the chance of any existing is tiny. That's his job.

Fortunately, what he's not paid to do is make government policy. I'm cheered by the fact that the language used by the Scottish government is markedly different from the language it was using a few weeks ago. 

Small steps and all that. 

It is, but to the SG, not the entire country. It's not his job to air all of these thoughts in public, whilst omitting context such as the likelihood of his doomsday scenarios being true.

We don't get sight of this level of worst case scenario detail provided by advisers for any other SG decisions. It's not helpful in the main.

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Jason Leitch in October 2025 explaining why, despite there being no cases for 2 years, no more than 300 fans can attend Ross County v Inverness

You seem to be implying we'd be in the Premiership 😂

Ah, maybe Ross County being relegated.   Carry on.

32 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I believe nurses start somewhere between £21-23K typically. 

A degree doesn't guarantee cash. I have one and make £20K five years later. Fair play to those on P&B on the megabucks but if I had the choice again I wouldn't bother with university.

Just now, latapythelegend said:

I believe nurses start somewhere between £21-23K typically. 

A degree doesn't guarantee cash. I have one and make £20K five years later. Fair play to those on P&B on the megabucks but if I had the choice again I wouldn't bother with university.

Likewise. Would have learned a trade instead.

At what point. patient wise,  is the NHS not under pressure and therefore lockdown not required?  Did someone say 500 in Scotland?  I maybe totally imagining this figure.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

At what point. patient wise,  is the NHS not under pressure and therefore lockdown not required?  Did someone say 500 in Scotland?  I maybe totally imagining this figure.

Seems irrelevant now. Leitch and Sturgeon fearful of an uptick in case numbers going by what I saw at lunchtime today.

3 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Was just about to post this

https://www.devdiscourse.com/article/health/1484467-exclusive-oxford-study-indicates-astrazeneca-effective-against-brazil-variant-source-says?amp&__twitter_impression=true

"The data indicates that the vaccine will not need to be modified in order to protect against the variant, which is believed to have originated in the Amazonian city of Manaus"

Spoiler

tenor.gif